True North Cafe

Contact 03-99172262

2a Munro Street, Coburg, Victoria, 3058

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small cafe with trendy retro atmosphere. Its short menu offers sandwiches and bagels. Vegans could get the 'chicken' sandwich, reuben sandwich, BLAT ad the muffins are vegan. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Australian, Non-veg

First Review by MeganJane

True North - Edit

Almost everything on the menu can be veganised. Friendly and competent staff. Range of savoury and sweet. I absolutely adore this place, it's one of my regulars.

Updated from previous review on 2015-07-12

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food, Good vibes and music

Cons: Sometimes music gets a little too loud

Vegan? No problems. - Edit

With plenty of options on the menu that can be done vegan, the most difficult question to answer is - what to have! I ordered the Huevos rancheros, which was done without the eggs for the vegan option. It was served with a fresh salsa and lime, as well as a cashew type cheese. It was quite tasty and a different option for when you don't want to have bread.
The coffee was really good, as per Melbourne's standards.
Service is good, and the place was packed when we visited on a Saturday morning.
Great cafe for meeting friends, or even dining alone.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great central location

Cons: very eggy menu

Best cafe in Melbourne - Edit

Heaps of vegan options - best of the bunch are the reuben, the breakfast roll and the hot cakes. The sweets are incredible, best muffins I've ever had, and there's always a new cake on offer. Coffee is so good, plus they do unlimited refills of filter coffee for $5. Great staff and vibe (they have booths!) and they just opened on Friday and Saturday nights so it's now my favourite bar in Melbourne too. Do yourself a favour...

saaahhh kewwwl - Edit

I'm writing this review having just finished my brunch because the atmos and the aircon are just sooo coool at True North that I don't wanna leave. The interior is a mix of Art Deco fixtures, big stained wooden booths, kooky vintage nick backs and framed paintings along side trad tattoo flash and graphic art. There's a touch Mexicana kitsch with hot sauce bottles lined up along the bar. Staff are friendly and well dressed to match the cafe's aesthetic.

I've had coffee and sweet stuff here often. Coffee is usually good and the passionfruit yoyo is the most memorable of the vegan sweets for me. Today is the first time I've made it at meal time. The breakfast and lunch menu lists a vegan option for plenty of items. Thing is, the vegan "option" I went for barely resembled the omni breakfast roll it was based on, which has egg, bubble and squeak pattie, and bacon. The vegan breakfast roll had smokey eggplant, advocado, vegan cheese, spinach leaves, tomato relish and it was so damn delicious that it deserves it's own listing on the menu. The roll is deliciously soft, bubbly, and chewy. The eggplant is silky and tender and the smoky flavour is perfection. They're generous with chunks of perfectly creamy avocado. Winner! I'm looking forward to trying more.

Return to Coburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has True North Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.