True Food Kitchen

Contact 310-593-8300

395 Santa Monica Place (at 2nd St & Colorado), Santa Monica, California, USA, 90401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Located on the ground floor of the shopping plaza and is frequented by tourists and shoppers. Menu is centered on the principals of Dr. Andrew Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet & Food Pyramid, with several ovo/lacto vegetarian dishes and a few vegan ones, marked. Spacious and modern. The organic tomato & roasted vegetable pizza is made without cheese. Brunch offered Sat-Sun 10am-4pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

A pleasant surprise - Edit

My husband and I had lunch here with my Aunt and Uncle (not veg/vegan) while being the tour guide in Santa Monica. I had the Teriyaki Brown Rice Bowl with grilled tofu (vegan) and it was fabulous !! My husband and Aunt had the Spaghetti Squash Casserole (vegetarian) and they practically licked their bowls clean. The restaurant had a beautiful patio for outdoor seating and it was very comfortable in the shade with the sea breeze. If you're touring the area with non-vegans in your group, this is a great option for everyone. They do go out of their way to make many dishes vegan upon request.

Pros: Location, Vegan Options, Organic

Cons: Limited non-alcoholic beverage selection

LEAVES ME WANTING MORE - Edit

Starting coming here because their food is fresh and clean!
Stopped frequenting because portions are consistently small and thereby overpriced.

Got the kale salad and was totally disappointed. REally, that's all you're going to give me when that's all the dish consists of!??

Excellent vegan bah mi sandwich - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and have eaten here a few times since it first opened in 2011. Was just here again in August 2012. Here's my True Food Kitchen Santa Monica Place review.

The restaurant is located on the ground floor of the Santa Monica Place shopping plaza. It's huge with both indoor and outdoor seating. The kitchen and juice bar is open, so you can see the action there.

While the menu is not pure veg, the vegetarian and vegan dishes are labeled.

The lunch and dinner menus are similar. The lunch menu is divided into sections: starters (1 vegan, 3 veg), salads (0 vegan, 3 veg), pizza (1 vegan, 3 veg), sandwiches (0 vegan, 1 veg which was a tempeh burger that can be made vegan by omitting mayonaise), main entrees (1 vegan, 2 veg).

I've had:
- the personal size tomato and kale pizza (vegan, no cheese), $12. All right.
- the bah mi tofu sandwich served with side of sweet potato has, $10. Excellent taste.
- the brown rice bowl with tofu, $?. Didn't care for it.
- and some side veggies on a fish plate that was yummy.

Overall, it's a good place to come with meat-eaters; everyone can get something tasty. It's also the place to grab a great bah mi sandwich, and at only $10, it's a bargain considering you are in lovely downtown Santa Monica.

PS. Once I saw Howie Mandel from America's Got Talent TV show just as he was leaving the restaurant.

Pros: vegan friendly, vegetarian friendly, relaxed and nice

Cons: not pure veg

SM Place - Edit

if you find yourself at Santa Monica place and are out with meet-eating friends, this is not a bad option. They have a cheese-less pizza, and a handful of other options. although they're touting themselves as healthy, there is way too much meat & dairy on the menu to be "TRUE".

Pros: Location, Trendy

Cons: Meat and dairy, Pricy

True Food Kitchen - Edit

It took me a minute to realize this when I went, but this is part of a chain that's also located in Phoenix. Honestly, they don't have a plethora of vegan options (I went during lunch time) so I wouldn't make this a destination during your trip, I felt everything was average. If you do decide to dine here, be sure to head upstairs afterwards to the Sonoma Wine Bar which has great wines and great atmosphere.

Healthy chain dining from Dr. Weil - Edit

I was very excited when True Food opened in Santa Monica Place (santa monica's remodeled high end shopping mall at the end of 3rd street promenade). You can valet for free if eating at True Food right out in front. We went here weekly when it first opened. The staff is HIGHLY trained in food allergy concerns and the chefs will accommodate to any restrictions. I highly recommend the lettuce cups. The first time we ordered them we doubled down. The vegan mains are not that plentiful, but realize anything can be edited and subbed on the menu. We go for the pasta, custom veggie bowls we ask the chef to create with our favorite veggies. The mixed drinks are amazing, alcoholic and not. The HangoverRX is a personal fav. Don't miss out on the pistachio vegan gelato if they have that on the dessert menu, too!

Pros: high end, accomodate special needs, great alcohol

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has True Food Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2391 times since Jul 2011.