True Food Kitchen

571-326-1616

2910 District Ave Ste 170 (at Mosaic District), Fairfax, Virginia, USA, 22031

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual-contemporary restaurant chain whose menu includes labeled vegetarian and vegan choices. Open kitchen. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by Alysoun Mahoney

A Great Place to Eat - but sit outside - Edit

On our first visit to True Food Kitchen, my husband and I were blown away when the hostess greeted us promptly with menus (of course) and also (here’s the surprise) a laminated copy of Dr. Andrew Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid. And although we haven't been given the educational handout on recent visits, the pyramid is prominently displayed as artwork on one of the walls. I'm not sure that the pyramid gets as much attention on the wall, so I wish the restaurant would still provide the handout. After all, the connection to Dr. Weil's food-as-medicine philosophy is what really sets the restaurant apart.

Our server was quick to inform us that the restaurant takes great pride in offering scratch-made dishes that are prepared with locally-obtained, seasonal ingredients. The menu contained plenty of choices for vegetarians, with roughly half of the items being meat free. No guessing needed; items were clearly marked as being vegetarian, vegan and/or gluten free.

Many dishes on the menu featured interesting items which are gaining attention as healthy alternatives to less nutritious foods. Some of the more unusual ingredients that we noted were fennel, daikon radish, sea buckthorn, chia seed, anasazi bean, flax seed, spaghetti squash, mulberries, kale, and farro.

My favorite dish is the TLT sandwich. I love the tempeh "bacon" and appreciate the fact that the bread is whole grain. The side dish of sweet potato hash provides some nice color to the plate.

I'm happy to report that our server provided good service and, when asked, could describe how the food was prepared. Many other positive aspects that we noted included the open kitchen, recycled content furniture, live plants on the tables, and outstanding patron education.

We normally prefer to visit True Food when the weather is relatively warm and we can sit outside, because the indoor seating tends to be unusually noisy when the restaurant is full (as it always seems to be). Be sure to make a reservation, and then ask for an outdoor table when you arrive.

Pros: Several vegan options, clearly marked on the menu, Pleasant outdoor seating during warm weather, Aligned with food-as-medicine philosophy

Cons: Noisy indoor seating

Love!!! - Edit

I come here often and typically order their vegan bowls or pizza--and their food is EVERYTHING. It's a great place to go with vegan and non-vegan friends, as there is something on the menu for everyone. Beware crowds at peak mealtimes: Saturday noon and after 5 p.m., and Sunday brunch.

Pros: Delicious vegan bowls and pizza, Organic and homemade juice drinks

yum! - Edit

My bf and went and though he isn't vegan, we ordered only vegan items, and he loved everything we got! I had the tlt, he had a vegan pizza with really delicious almond ricotta on it and we shared a banana Chia pudding which is just to die for.

Pros: vegan options are marked, solid amount of vegan choices

Cons: little expensive

Great food but pricey - Edit

For a non vegan / vegetarian place, True Food Kitchen offers a good selection of vegan options or vegetarian options that could be made vegan. I ordered the Teriyaki Quinoa Bowl with Tofu. It was very flavorful and fresh. I do wish it were not as expensive. The Quinoa Bowl w tofu ended up being $17... For a relatively small bowl.

So I think for special occasions, I would come back. But otherwise, I'll look to recreate some of their dishes at home.

Pros: food was fresh and yummy

Cons: pricey

Delicious and Healthy Vegan Dishes - Edit

It was great that True Food Kitchen included vegan options as part of their Easter Brunch (and regular menu). Vegan Chorizo Burrito was delicious. Roasted Artichoke Pizza was not as good as the Butternut Pizza mentioned in another review. Deserts (coconut and chia seed flan & key lime pie) were delicious and highly recommended.

Pros: Spacious seating, friendly and knowledgeable staff

Perfect for Vegans, GF-ers, and everyone! - Edit

Some very old friends who are not vegan - one of whom eats gluten- and dairy-free - chose True Food Kitchen to take vegan me for a special holiday meal. It was a great choice!

I had the Butternut Squash Pizza made with smoked onion, organic kale, vegan almond ricotta, and dried cranberry - delicious! For beverage, I chose the Apple Carrot Ginger Tonic.

My hosts and I shared the Shiitake Lettuce Cups with tofu, jicama, sambal, thai basil, and cashew as a starter, and the squash pie for dessert. Both of these were both vegan and gluten-free - perfect!

Atmosphere and service were as good as the food.

Pros: fresh, delicious food , many options for both vegan and gluten free eaters, great atmosphere and service

Return to Fairfax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has True Food Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.