Truc Lam Trai

Contact 04-6278-1848

39 Le Ngoc Han, Hai Ba Trung District (at Tran Xuan Soan and Hoa Ma), Hanoi, Vietnam,

Located on a small street between Tran Xuan Soan and Hoa Ma. Creative menu. English menu and English spoken. Small but tastefully decorated and comfortable restaurant with traditional Vietnam culture decoration, Buddhism library and free book and CD, zen and meditation instruction, free Wi-Fi. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by Cameo

too heavy on the mock meat - Edit

Ate here with a Vietnamese friend the other day, the waitress basically sold us the whole menu. Felt a bit pushy. Amazing spring rolls, that can be ordered by the piece. otherwise very heavy on the mock meat, tries too hard to imitate omnivore dishes instead of coming up with new ideas in my opinion. must come back for the Hotpot which looked very delicious.

Quaint Little Place - Edit

This restaurant was quite a gem to visit. Don't be deceived by the appearance from the street (as my parents were so quick to judge); it was very pleasant inside compared to what you'll see outside! I went at lunch time, so it wasn't too crowded. The decor is nice and relaxing inside. There is an upstairs area, although I'm not sure what was there, as I never went up. There is a small, Western-style bathroom on site, which is always nice. Although there is no air conditioning, a fan was on, there were no insects inside, and the atmosphere was great overall. The waitress I had was very friendly, although she only spoke a small amount of English. I can't complain, being in someone else's country, after all! It was still possible to get my order in with no problems :) The menu was so extensive, full of creative dishes (lots of mock meats and unique vegetables, like lotus, Chinese potato, and eggplant). I ordered corn milk, Hanoi spring roll, sesame "shrimp," fried vermicelli with mushrooms, and the corn and coconut dessert. The great thing was that the portion sizes were customizable, so you can try small amounts of a lot of variety. Unfortunately, I didn't clue in to the fact that I'd ordered nearly everything fried, so the food was a touch heavy (for vegan food, that is), but still flavourful. I loved the corn milk and the desert soup. Overall, a great experience :)

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Food, Decor

Cons: Oily Food (Fried Options)

Very good food and great clean atmosphere - Edit

We went here for dinner one night. Our taxi driver found it very easily and we paid maybe $7 from the Old Quarter. We had fried tofu with lemongrass, a chicken dish, the gound (sp?) soup, a couple of bottles of water. We paid $7 US. I would highly recommend this place. No English spoken by anyone but they do have an English menu.

Good range of tasty tofu and mock-meat dishes - Edit

We were impressed with the huge menu of tofu and mock-meat dishes, went twice during the 4 days we were in Hanoi and enjoyed all the dishes we tried. Good strong flavours, polite service and a calm environment to enjoy.
Found some of the drinks a bit odd - e.g. corn milk, which I tried again elsewhere and enjoyed.

Pros: Range, English menu, Calm setting

Bland and overpriced - Edit

I'm not sure what the deal is with this place's opening times, the first time I visited I arrived about 3pm (after trying another restaurant which was closed at 1.30pm) and although the restaurant was open, the hostess told me, after checking with the kitchen, that no staff were available to prepare food until 4pm. I'm not sure if this is an opening times issue (in which case fair enough, although it would be nice if this was mentioned on their website or happy cow). To be honest it seemed more like I was unlucky.
Anyway, not to be deterred I tried again the next day. Service was friendly and efficient. I ordered soup and spring rolls followed by tofu and tomato and mock chicken with mushrooms, accompanied with steamed rice. The food was all distinctly average: bland and uninspiring, with the tofu and mock chicken lacking flavour and being overly salty and tasting heavily of msg. I found it strange that the corn milk I ordered was served warm (not something I've encountered anywhere else in Asia) and was not as tasty as others I have had.
I went here because of the previous good reviews, and whilst I can agree that the service was good and it's a relaxing environment, I found the food to be poor. All in all pretty disappointing and compounded by the relatively high price: 177VND, which is more than twice what I paid for a similar meal (in terms of quantity/dishes) of vastly superior quality in HCMC. Not terrible, but not recommended, or worth the cost. Best avoided.

Pros: Friendly and efficient service

Cons: Food bland and uninspired, Over-priced for what it is

nice peaceful place - Edit

Very nice and peaceful place. Good intelligent stuff. They have menu on english, personal also speak english. Prices very nice: we ordered 3 dishes and tea, it was about 100.000 vnd. Food very tasty.
I liked this place.

Attention To Detail Out Of This World - Edit

Being in the big city we wanted to check out some of the vegan/veggie options on Ha Noi. Truc Lam Trai has excellent choices, beautifully presented, and amazing service.
There was honey in a few dishes, so not 100% vegan.
The honey roadsted chicken was dry roasted so a bit, well, dry.
The Truc Lam spring rolls were delicious, and I loved the coconut and 'shrimp' dish.
Meal for two including tea, 222,000 Dong/ $11 USD

Pros: almost vegan, Buddhist, affordable

Well worth It...great Food...Nice Place - Edit

Sunday night in Hanoi and searching for a vegan resto. Happy I made the journey. Food was very tasty and well presented. Also very very reasonably priced. Would come back here again for sure.

Pros: Diverse Menu, Decor, Price

Cons: English Ok, Toilet Poor

Amazing food - Edit

We had our second meal in Hanoi at Truc Lam Trai. Although it was a bit late for lunch (around 2 pm), the restaurant was open. We ordered a few different dishes and the food took some time to come, which was actually a good sign because it meant that they were preparing everything from scratch.

The highlight of the meal of the "red goudle soup" (or something like that), which was actually a pumpkin with spring onion soup with lotus roots. It was one of the most fresh and delicate dishes I have ever had. My partner is not fond of soups at all, but this soup was so delicious that the two of us were fighting for it. A true delight.

We had also ordered a lunch special - crispy rice cakes with sichuan tofu soup. This was again really excellent. The crispy rice cakes made a great combination the slightly spicy and intensely flavorful soup.

A few other side dishes and drinks were also quite good. The bill was extremely reasonable at US$11.

We'll definitely return here and probably just end up ordering the same things.

Pros: Delicious

Tasty Dinner - Edit

Unlike others, I found my way to Truc Lam Trai easily. It's about 1 km south of Hoan Kiem Lake, but definitely worth going there.
For dinner I had fresh spring rolls plus a mushroom soup and deep-fried pumpkins from the daily menu. There is a much wider selection from there regular menu as well. All dishes were very well done. Including two fresh lemon juices I was charged less than 6 USD.
The service was friendly, attentive and discreet. Prices moderate, nice atmosphere.
I give them 4 cows, because I reserve 5 cows for exceptional experiences only.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 27, 2013

Pros: Tasty Food, Attentive, discreet & friendly service , Nice and cozy atmosphere

Cons: Tables may be a bit low for Westerners

A Gem - Edit

It was a little difficult to find Truc Lam Trai, but completely worth it. This tiny restaurant is exquisite with beautiful furnishings, calm and serene. The menu is large and the food is up to the mark. The house salad is spicy and wonderful, ginger "chicken" tasty, stuffed tofu came in a tomato sauce. Service was friendly and efficient.

Pros: inventive tasty food, excellent staff

Cons: hard to find

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Truc Lam Trai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3810 times since Oct 2010.