Trigo Verde Naturistas Cafe

Contact 5162369

J.P. Garcia 207, Centro (at Trujano), Oaxaca, Mexico,

Vegetarian cafe inside a health food store. Offers fast food for takeaway like tamales, soyburgers (2 big ones, fries, and drink for around 36 pesos), chilaquiles, sandwiches, breakfast, and a 35 peso lunch menu which includes soup, salad, main dish, drink, and dessert. Simple set up. You might bring your food "para llavar" (to-go) and eat at the Zocalo, Los Arcos de Xochimilco, or the botanical garden.

Category: Lacto, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by enRoute

Amazing Vegan food in Oaxaca - Edit

I am a native from Oaxaca who is a long-term vegan with a vegan partner. We visited from Los Angeles and went to Trigo Verde. The food was better than we had expected and the service was great. The owner greeted us and took vegan literature from us to place in the store. We ordered what he recommended: the tlayuda, tacos al pastor, vegan burger were excellent dishes. We wished that we had more time in Oaxaca to return to this restaurant.

Pros: Cheap, Close to downtown

Cons: Few vegan options

The best vegan food I had in Oaxaca - Edit

I loved my meal at Trigo Verde. The portions were big and the cost of the menu of the day was only 45 pesos. I ordered the menu of the day, but was told all but the dessert was vegan, so I didn't get it. My only complain would be that they didn't have a a vegan dessert option, and they still charged me full price for the menu of the day even though I didn't get the dessert. Of course, it was inexpensive, so I can't complain too much. If the menu of the day is not vegan, there are a few other vegan choices. The also sell some soy meats in the small store inside the restaurant for a great price.

Pros: Great service, Inexpensive, Big portions

Cons: No vegan dessert option

Trigo Verde is my favorite restaurant! - Edit

Trigo Verde is totally inexpensive place for vegetarians and vegans. They offer delicious food for ridiculous amount of money! Tacos al pastor are the best tacos I've ever eaten and I wish one day I will come back to Oaxaca to try them again! In case of cheese - if you ask, they will give you a vegan one!

Pros: amazing food, nice and friendly staff, extremely cheap

oaxaca - Edit

Fast food style food. The few vegan choices were good but not enough numerous. Only one burger and one tacos are labeled vegan. The item I asked to make it vegan was not possible.
Inexpensive! 1 burger + 1 plato de tacos + batidos = 77 pesos.

Pros: tasty, inexpensive

Cons: few vegan choices

Great, Quick, Cheap - Edit

Great food with a mix of Western and Mexican meals. Very low prices compared to any of the boutique tourist restaurants around.

Pros: Tasty, Central, Cheap

Cons: Leave any Western entitlement at the door, You'll love this place

tasty vegan Jamaica tacos - Edit

Simple no-frill cafe with many vegetarian option. I had the vegetarian tamales, pretty good, and the vegan Jamaica tacos (see photos). They also make té chai from spices if you ask for it, with no milk.

Best VEGAN!! food in Oaxaca - Edit

Trigo Verde is a Vegetarian restaurant with easily the best Vegan in Oaxaca, so hit it up. If you fancy a western meal try the hamburguesa classica (vegan), hamburguesa con queso (vegeterian) with the option of a lentil, soy, multigrain with quinoa patty. For Mexican options try the taco de jamaica stuffed with hibiscous served with guacamole sauce (vegan), tacos al pastor de soya (vegan), tostadas de chorizo de soya (vegan), tostadas de quesillo (vegetarian). Salads are personalised with the choice of vegetables, dried fruits, seeds/nuts and dressing (soy tuna vegetarian).
Daily menu is served with soup, main meal (rice/curry, pasta, vegetables, fahitas, stuffed zucchini) desert served with water of the day (chia, variety of fruit, lime, green tea, avena-oat) menu varies day to day, dishes can be ordered individually.
Therapeutic smoothies: Energetico (energy), Cruda (hang-over), Digestivo (digestive) with the choice of adding superfoods (maca, lucuma, echinecea, chia, acai, cacao nibs) option of soy milk. Fresh juices Zanahoria (carrot), Papaya, Mango, Naranja (orange), Spinach celery naranja and nopal (cactus).
Trigo Verde is also a health food store containing vitamins, minerals, herbal remedies, protein powders/bars, herbal teas, vegan milks, cereals, freeze dried fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, rice, flours (g/f amaranth), granola, natural cosmetics: oils, make-up, hair-dye,
It's cheap, good tasting, vegan and located two blocks west of the Zocalo.

Pros: Vegan food and superfood smoothies , Herbal remedies, Location

Cons: Busy

Quick, Convenient, Tasty and Healthy Vege Food - Edit

I never imagined I'd find a place in Oaxaca that serves up great vege food; getting out more has helped to disabuse me of my ignorance. The first time I went to Trigo Verde, I had a Mega Tostada. Man, thing was huge!...enough to hold me over until dinner. Great-tasting combination of beans with tomato and quesillo (like string-chees)on a massively-sized tortilla (I think they call it a "Tlayuda"). You have the option of different kinds of cheeses on this, but I always choose the quesillo because I'm not a fan of the other two.

Burgers are of course not what you'd taste in some of the better restaurants you'll find in Los Angeles, but that aside, they hold their own very well! I actually enjoy my vegetarian burgers here every time.

The other option I normally go for changes daily; they call it their "menu" option, which typically includes two rolls of bread, some sort of soup, a main vegetarian dish, a flavored water and a dessert...all for a ridiculously inexpensive $45 MXN It's almost always something I thoroughly enjoy. Is it because I conveniently walk right in front of this place on my way home every weekday afternoon after a hard day's work?....Or because their food is that great?...Probably a little bit of both.

Pros: Tasty food at a ridiculously great price, Friendly staff, Conveniently located in the city center

Cons: Loud street traffic (as anywhere in Oax)

It's ok... - Edit

I went here for lunch but was disappointed there were on 2 vegan items on the menu. The rest was made with eggs or dairy and therefore could not be left out. Additionally, they did not seem to be offering most of the juices advertised.

If you're vegetarian I'd recommend it though. Lots of choices and it's pretty cheap.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Limited vegan options

Great fast food in a beautiful city - Edit

We were visiting Oaxaca and needed something quick to eat. I downloaded the Happy Cow app and saw that this place was just around the corner.

Me and my wife both loved it! Be aware, this is no fine dining experience, you have to try and find a table (it's very busy) and then make your order at the shop till, passing along your receipt to the kitchen staff.

The veggie burgers were cheap and tasty, though the fries that came with the meals were actually potato chips/crisps, but they were OK. I just had the burger whereas my wife had the set meal which was good, but neither of us could eat the dessert - we're not even sure what it was.

Pros: Good Prices, Great veggieburgers

Cons: Dessert inedible

Bustling, convenient, often very tasty - Edit

This place is a real institution, and is often busy for lunch. It's just 2 blocks from the zocalo and as such is really the only 100% vegetarian option in the area, if not the city. Creative fixed menu with nice set lunches (40 pesos) varying from day to day. Nice veggie tamales, ceviche, etc., and a cooler selling lots of fake meats and other products.

You pay first at the counter and get a number which you place on your table, and the food is brought to you based on that. Quality of the daily menu can vary pretty dramatically, from delicious and creative to so-so or a half-plate of soggy nopales.

Definitely worth checking out, and trying a few options to find something you like. Try their tlayudas, tacos al pastor, and baguettes (w/soy chorizo or other veg meats).

Pros: Convenient, Cheap, Tasty

Cons: A bit packed, Quality varies, Staff generally not thrilled to be there

Return to Oaxaca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Trigo Verde Naturistas Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2100 times since Mar 2011.