CLOSED: Cafe L.O.V.E.

• Vegan

Contact 919-251-9541

3219 Old Chapel Hill Rd Unit 201, Durham, North Carolina, USA, 27707

Primarily take-out vegan restaurant with occasional dine-in dinners. Uses organic ingredients. Previously named Triangle Raw Foodists. Opened this restaurant May 2014. Reported closed to HappyCow Aug 2015.

Category: Vegan, American, Raw, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Irynatango

great place - Edit

This is the only fully vegan restaurant in Durham, and it offers creative raw organic. I only eat raw occasionally and when I do I rely on Cafe Love. It is pricey but that is expected when purchasing raw organic vegan. The price reflects the quality of the food.
My favorites are the portabella enchilada and spicy thai kelp noodles.
They also recently started offering a $50 "raw food re-set" program where you order a day's worth of raw food (including a kombucha and raw dessert) and pick it up the night before. Great idea! It's a lot of money for one day, but the amount of food you get is more than I can eat in one day! It's worth it to do once in a while.
The owners are very kind and I feel good supporting them. Right now they are only take-out in a hard to find location, but I look forward to seeing their business grow. I know they are at least hoping to offer some seating soon which has been a problematic permitting issue.
You can also purchase some of their items at local Whole Foods locations.

Updated from previous review on Monday August 10, 2015

Pros: tasty and healthy options, only fully vegan spot in Durham, great owners

Cons: take out only, expensive, location

Janeyhoward Thank you so much for this nice review! We are actually closing the cafe either at the end of this month or sometime next month because of the location and seating restrictions, but we did put a few tables in there so people can have somewhere to sit for the remainder of the time the cafe is open. We are hoping to open a full service vegan restaurant by the end of next year in a better location. We really appreciate your taking the time to write this review! Hope to see you soon :)

A little disappointing.. - Edit

I took my cousin from Portland with me to check the place out. We ordered online and when we arrived the food wasn't ready. They gentleman said that he was having computer issues, but it turns out the issue was that he hadn't checked to see if he had any orders.

Turns out that they were out of one of the items we ordered, and we waited a bit for him to prepare the others. It wasn't a long wait, and it meant that at least two dishes would be freshly prepared... Yet once we got the meal, I was quite astonished with how small the portion was for the lasagna- seriously?

I ordered the lasagna, my cousin the pad thai, and the falafel for the little one. Everything was good, except the pad thai had no flavour. The problem was that we shared food and within an hour we were all sick to our stomachs. The place looked very clean, and they had a great health score; I can only assume that the cashew cheese or something was off (they don't seem to get much business)... I really wanted to love this place, but after getting sick I was really disappointed :(

Pros: Food tasted good, Decent menu selection

Cons: They don't check their online ordering s, Food made us sick, Location is hard to find

Janeyhoward Hi! Thanks so much for visiting Cafe Love and for taking the time to post a review. I am so sorry you had this experience. We would be happy to reimburse you for the food, as we would NEVER want anyone to get sick from it. It would have been great to hear about this directly, and on the day that it happened, so we could have addressed the issue. This is the first time we have heard of someone having this kind of experience, and we would never want it to happen again. Also, I apologize for the online pick-up ordering system. We wanted to offer it for convenience, but it was less than ideal, so we have discontinued it.
Again, we appreciate your visiting us and are very sorry to hear that your experience warranted a 2-star review. Feel free to contact us, so that we can reimburse you for the items that you bought.

Raw represented - Edit

Sometimes raw food is so boring, like that iceberg lettuce mealy tomato olive oil watery vinegar dressed salad that you find everywhere, that you want to scoff at the raw vegans. Thank you Cafe Love! Making the world a better place and keepin it raw.

If you eat raw food regularly, it is true that you are a special type of veg*n. It is not common because it is already prohibitive to be vegan when dining out. To be raw all the time is limiting unless you are in a metropolitan area or willing to be malnourished when eating out.

I am pleased and surprised and so happy for Durham to have this treasure of raw food. It is light and fresh, vibrant and flavorful. It can be challenging to make sweet potato dishes taste good when raw, the sushi is fab. The prices are very affordable if you are from a big Metropolitan area, but may feel pricy if not used to the costs that go into raw food.

The entrees vary from pad thai to lasagna to pesto wraps, with dessert in the classic raw style of nuts puréed smooth and sweet over a nut coconut base. There are sides similar to salads and things you'd find in most veg restaurants like kale, collards and sweet potato. They def have energy bars and cookies that are tasty and convenient. Because most food is pre-made, it is convenient to grab and go.

There is no seating but the space is friendly, as are the staff. The hours are short, but they have foods in local businesses. I will be back next time in Durham! Love this place!!!!

Pros: 100% vegan, Raw!!!, Cookies and desserts

Cons: Hours, No seating, Plastic containers

Janeyhoward Thank you so much for the nice review! Just wanted to let you know that the containers we use, while they look similar to plastic, are actually certified compostable PLA made from corn :) We get them from Ecoproducts, if you want to check out the company.

Also, we are in the process of being able to have seating. We have run into some building code issues prohibiting us from having them :)

Thanks so much for visiting and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.

Jane and Matthew

Convenient and Fresh! - Edit

Triangle Raw foods can actually be found in several places throughout Durham, at Bean Traders Coffee, Whole Foods Market, and at “Lomo Market.” Their pad thai, falafel and energy bars are some of my favorites. You will not be disappointed. I am just so grateful to have vegan options to-go throughout the Triangle!

Pros: convenient, always fresh, excellent variety

Nice People, Creative Food - Edit

I purchased food from the Triangle Raw Foods truck, as well as from local businesses that carry their products. I am not a raw foodist, and not a huge fan of raw foods, so I am definitely not the best person to judge their food itself; except for the chocolate macaroons, which are AWESOME!

But the people who run the business are super nice, and I appreciate their efforts to get good, whole, healthy foods into the local food scene. They also seem quite creative in their dishes, too, so it's not just "boring" raw foods.

It's a bit pricey, which I understand completely, since it probably costs them quite a bit to keep high standards of the produce they buy, and since they're a small business, but that does make it a bit prohibitive in what some people may be able to invest in on a regular basis. Nevertheless, it's fun to get something from them occasionally for a special treat.

Pros: Incredibly healthy food, Nice people, Great desserts

Cons: Pricey

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe L.O.V.E. closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5449 times since Jan 2012.