CLOSED: Tree House Pastry Shop and Cafe

• Vegetarian

Contact 505-474-5543

167 Paseo de Peralta (at DeVargas Center Mall), Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, 87501

The organic food menu includes pastries, coffees, tea, salads, sandwiches, quiches, light breakfast, and Sunday brunch. Emphasizes the relationship between the place in which one live and the things that one eats. Accepts special orders for cakes and pastries. It's in the mall; previously located on Lena Street. NOV 2014 REPORTED SHUT, WEB AND FB NO LONGER.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by mfenlaw

Vegan unfriendly - Edit

This is just to say if you're looking for pastry that's vegan, this place will disappoint you. Not only is it challenging to find parking at this strip mall, the options are limited. For vegetarians, maybe it's wonderful, but as a vegan going out of your way, it's sad when there is nothing they can offer.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Little to no vegan pastry choices, Parking

Very Good - Edit

I'm a big fan of the Treehouse. Even my meat eating friends love it here. Most items can be made vegan. I especially recommend the Birdhouse Burger. So delicious. They also have really good coffee and apple juice.

High quality eats, fairly vegan-friendly - Edit

Tree House has a good New Mexican menu with several vegan options (including only one vegan dessert on my visit). I wish there were more, but it's a start.

I had chilaquiles (vegan version), which had great flavor, and an excellent chocolate tart.

The hardest part was getting in: I came on a saturday morning, and found that, though Tree House was said to open at 9am, the mall itself doesn't open till 10am on Saturdays, and the first 3 doors i tried were locked. Eventually i figured out i could sneak in through the Starbucks on Paseo de Peralta, and when i found Tree House they were already open at 8:45 and happy to serve me.

Pros: Very tasty, reasonable prices for the quality

Cons: limited vegan options

Friendly & fresh - Edit

We popped in here for breakfast and were instantly impressed by the interior. It's big and nicely decorated, with big windows. The service was friendly, although I was disappointed that there were no vegan pastries. I'm not a big breakfast person, unless that breakfast involves sugar. ;-)
Our food and drinks were brought quickly, but I was brought the wrong drink. When I pointed this out, I couldn't help but feel as if I was being met with some disbelief by the staff. As if I don't know the difference between chai and coffee.
The food was good. Not mind-blowing, but definitely good and very fresh.
I can tell things in Santa Fe tend to be a bit overpriced, and this breakfast was no exception.
That said, I'd go back and happily pay the $$ for vegan pastries. In the meantime, it's a 3.5 for me.

Pros: friendly service, fresh food, cute decor

Cons: expensive

A Must in Santa Fe - Edit

Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free restaurant. You don't hear that very often, especially in Santa Fe. Maria takes the time to have the freshest, organic ingredients and prepares wholesome, good food. I've had the homemade tempeh papusas with the best red chile and also the tempeh bowl with potatoes. The space is hidden on Lena street, but worth the hunt to find. Big, airy and open kitchen so you can smell the goodies being baked. Thanks for cooking and baking such good for us, locals and tourists.

Pros: Organic, Fresh Farmers Market, Red Chile

Cons: Location

Loved It - Edit

I visited Santa Fe and am thrilled to find this place. Lovely variety on the menu. Ordered tempeh/lentil/hummus wrap and loved it. Excellent side salad. Also had black bean quesadilla and loved that too. Wish I lived closer to Santa Fe so I could try everything. Also wished they serve breakfast all day-- or that they opened longer hours.

Pros: Great Menu, Local Produce, Delicious!

Cons: Quirky Hours

Good food, slow service - Edit

My husband and I visited this establishment on 7/6/08 for breakfast. There was a line waiting for the gate to open! The food is based off the farmer's market and was very fresh and creative. The staff seemed rather disorganized, however. I had a stuffed flower plate with organic greens and my husband had whole wheat pancakes with mulberries. Yummy! The baked items are out of this world!

Pros: Location, All-veggie menu, Creative menu

Cons: Staff organization, Too hot, need circulation

Don't get your wedding cake here! - Edit

My fiance and I made an appt for a cake tasting at the Tree House recently. When we arrived, we were presented with a plate of two dry, stale cupcakes (devil's food and white) out of their display case, along with dollops of three "fillings" including basic raspberry jam (like out of a jar) and thick, pasty buttercream to try with the cakes. The staff completely ignored us throughout the tasting, and when we finally gave up and walked over to the counter to get someone's attention, were simply asked "Are you ready?" without an opportunity to inquire about all the flavors we'd been told would be options when we made the appt. We paid for the cupcakes (yes, they even made us pay for the two stale cupcakes) and left. We represented a potential several-hundred dollar order for them, and they didn't even seem to care! Do yourself a favor and take your wedding business elsewhere.

Cons: bad quality cakes, poor service

2 Responses

treehouse Dear mfenlaw,

I regret that you had a bad experience at Tree House. What you describe is certainly unacceptable and is not how we do business at Tree House. In fact, more than 95% of our tastings result in cake orders.

We always make samples fresh for the tastings that we offer, and never serve items that have been put on display. We never charge for tastings, either. We provide prospective cakes clients with drinks as well as the samples we offer.

I'm sorry, too that you didn't enjoy the buttercream. Yours is the first complaint we've had. The organic raspberry jam--which we use exclusively at Tree House--is a wonderful, locally-made product from Corrales, New Mexico.

Although we are willing to spend as much time with prospective clients as is requested--usually a half hour to 45 minutes with each couple--we've found that many couples do enjoy having some time to themselves to discuss their options and talk about their desires. We respect people's need for privacy and give them all they need. When couples are 'ready', we return to the table to discuss their decisions and answer any questions they have.

I'd like you to know that we do care, as we enjoy being a part of the wonderful occasions that weddings are.

Again, I'm sorry that your experience was not a good one. I wish that you had discussed with me your concerns while at the cafe--I would have done what I could to correct the errors you describe.

Please contact me at the cafe with your receipt, and I will certainly refund what you were charged for the tasting.

Maria

Return to Santa Fe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tree House Pastry Shop and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2697 times since Aug 2007.