Tramontane Cafe

Contact 315-732-8257

1105 Lincoln Ave, Utica, New York, USA, 13502

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffeehouse cafe, listening room, and music venue with a small gallery space. Offers coffee and espresso drinks with possibility for soy or almond milk (might cost extra). Food menu includes sandwiches, soups, salads, and baked goods. Host open mic, poetry reading, acoustic music, and events -- see its webpage for calendar. On the second floor is its sister business, Shine Yoga and Wellness. Open Mon 9:00am-5:00pm, Tue-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri 9:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Non-veg

First Review by Armando

My favorite spot in the Rome/Utica area - Edit

Really cool place, nice people, interesting music.

The vegan baked goods are delicious! Great veggie burgers and veg. turkey sandwiches. Fantastic selection of teas and coffee.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice people, Ambience

Great local eatery! - Edit

I was supposed to try the Tramontaine Café a month ago but the current road construction (summer 2016) and my hunger made me seek other options. I wish I could go back to that old self and say "stay the course, it will be worth it!" I stopped in for brunch (they have an all day menu and even a bar) and had blueberry banana muffin, got it fresh out of the oven. Options were toasted, grilled or plain with earth balance. I chose plain no spread. Still warm, it was a homemade and hearty breakfast.
Next I enjoyed spicy West African peanut soup that had smooth texture, with an occasional peanut, very flavorful. A great soup for anytime or any season.
I washed it down with an americano with almond milk.
Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Made great suggestions. Not everything is vegan but they can let you know what is!
This place is awesome and worth a stop in Utica. They offer an eclectic atmosphere, lots of local color, artistic events, lots of community love. Learn from my mistakes, don’t pass this gem by!

Pros: Yummy home made food, Knowledgeable and friendly, Community feels

Cons: Road construction (not their fault)

A Delicious Meal Indeed - Edit

While I wish my first time eating The Tramontane Cafe's food was at their location (which looks like it has a great atmosphere as well as tons of live music, poets, and open mic events) for the full experience, my first taste ended up being from the comfort of my own couch. For reasons I shall leave unsaid, I was unable to cook my husband's and my dinner for the evening. This sounded like the perfect opportunity to try out The Tramontane Cafe, which proudly serves vegetarian and vegan dishes as well as more traditional meat based sandwiches.

My first interaction with them was through messaging on their facebook since I had a few questions I wanted to ask before I ordered. The manager answered promptly to my message online, and was very helpful and personable.

Ordering over the phone was a good and simple experience, I was able to hear the person well on the other end, and I asked if the order could be ready in a half an hour for pick up, and they said no problem! For a decent sized order I was impressed by that. I got the feeling that even if I had said 15 minutes, they wouldn't have blinked. Very fast!

Firstly, the salad I ordered was really great! The base salad starts with a mixed greens bed, tomato, cucumbers, and carrots, then you can add a wide variety of other veggies and toppings, the first three additional toppings being free, then it is 10-25 cents each topping after that. I was floored. This kind of customizability is rare to find, especially for such a great price. I highly recommend the sesame ginger dressing, which is vegan and delicious!

I also had a chai tea latte made with almond milk with an addition of a raspberry flavor shot. While the raspberry flavoring slightly overpowered the chai flavor, it was still very, very drinkable. I loved it, but a more discerning palette might want to hold off on the flavor shot if this one latte is indicative of their usual drink mixing.

My bowl of tomato basil soup was great, and that's coming from someone who usually doesn't go for tomato based dishes. My omnivore husband enjoyed the soup immensely, saying that it's amazing how good vegan fare can taste. He had the same reaction to his Tram Burger made with a black bean patty, which he scarfed down quickly.

One thing I loved about The Tram was that they had multiple vegan dessert options available. Of course this also depends on your definition of dessert. On the day I ordered, they had four house made vegan sweet options available, banana muffins (plain or with blueberries or black raspberries), as well as ginger snap cookies (which were enormous). Personally I find muffins to be more of a breakfast food than a dessert, but I was curious to see how they would taste, so I ordered a black raspberry banana muffin as well as 2 ginger snaps. The muffin was surprisingly delicious! I was expecting something dense, dry, and chewy, mostly because that's how banana muffins usually turn out when I make them at home. But the muffin was wonderfully moist and flavorful with just the right density! Everything I'd ever want in a good muffin! Now with the ginger snaps, The Tramontane Cafe totally nailed that great spice filled gingery flavor that I love, but were not very snappy, but rather chewy. Regardless, I relished every bite and will definitely order more the next time I eat there! They were that good.

I'm very much looking forward to my next taste of this great cafe, in which hopefully I'll be trying their delicious sounding red lentil mixed veggie soup!

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-13

Pros: Great food, Friendly, helpful staff

Comfy, laid back atmosphere. - Edit

Once again I found myself in Utica, New York. But unlike my last stay i determined to find someplace to eat using my Happy Cow guide.As there were no vegan or vegetarian restaurants in the city, I opted for Tramontane, as it looked like a promising alternative. The location was not quite in the downtown areas, but neither was it too far out. I found it fairly easily, but was surprised at first by its rather unassuming exterior. As soon as I walked through the door though I knew that i was in my type of place. The walls were covered in posters, and album covers, and other eye catching pictures. There were tables and chairs, and cushion seats, and a small stage with an upright piano. (I discovered that they regularly featured live music.) the girls at the counter, and the owner who sat at a chair nearby, all seemed friendly and inviting. I asked about there vegan options, and then decided once again, on a veggie burger. As they did not have a fryer, I choose some veggie chips on the side, and a Dads root beer to wash it down with. I noticed that there were piles of cookies and muffins on the counter and asked if any of them were Vegan. I was told that all the ones with a heart symbol were egg and dairy free. Which got me excited. and already planning my post dinner desert. As I waited for my meal to be prepared I walked about looking at everything on the walls, and chatted with the staff. When i saw a poster of Dylan, I mentioned to the owner that Blood on the Tracks was one of my all time favorite albums. A few minutes later what should I hear above me somewhere but the opening chords of Tangled up in Blue. A kindly gesture towards me by the owner, which I appreciated. I sat down in one of the comfy cushioned chairs, and shortly my meal arrived. The Veggie Burger looked more like a sandwich, and was smallish in size, and the amount of chips seemed to me somewhat meager. But to be sure it all tasted good, and seemed wholsome enough. I finished it off, and as the portions had been small, ordered a coffee and some vegan sweets pronto. The coffee came in a very large mug, and tasted delicious. The sweets as well hit the spot. When I had done and got up to pay the owner again surprised me by not charging for the sweets. In return I left a larger then normal tip. I left, maybe not 100% impressed, but by no means entirely disappointed neither. The staff were kind, the atmosphere relaxing, and the meal tasty, if not very generous. I would certainly go back again

Pros: Relaxing, laid back atmosphere., Great staff. , Vegan sweets.

Cons: Small portions., No fryer.

Return to Utica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tramontane Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1650 times since Jun 2011.