Trader Joe's

• Health-food-store Health Store
585-248-5011

3349 Monroe Ave, Rochester, New York, USA, 14618

Part of a mid-size specialty food market chain. Has vegetarian and vegan food, some organic, natural personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, and more. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:00pm. Open daily.

First Review by gwild

I love it, but... - Edit

I do most of my grocery shopping here. It's convenient to me, and I love that their default is no food-coloring, no preservatives, non-GMO. At other stores I have to buy their premium products to get those, so it gives me a wider selection and saves money. They have a lot of organic products. Their store-brand paper products are recycled.

They have surprise goodies like store-brand vegan marshmallows, "ice cream" (the cherry chocolate chip is great!) and maple cookies! There's a store-brand "turky" which is very good. Several vegan frozen meals. And I think all of their cleaning and beauty products are cruelty free and vegan!

But they have a lot of products that should really be vegan but are not. Store brand veggie dog and soy cheese are not vegan. Their cheeseless pizza has honey in it. The majority of their dark chocolate has milk in it. Much of their bread and tortillas have honey. Their vitamins tend to have gelatin. Many frozen meals are almost vegan but unaccountably not.

They seem pretty progressive. I don't understand why they don't get it.

Updated from previous review on 2017-11-11

Pros: Cruelty-free health and beauty, Some great vegan surprises, Friendly

Cons: A lot of unhappy non-vegan surprises

Small store with many unique items - Edit

I love Trader Joe's and was happy when this new location recently opened.
All Trader Joes (and I've been to many)look very similar and carry similar items. The stores are all small, clean, and sell limited but quality choices. Many of the items they sell are trader joe brands. Consumer reports often rate their brands above others, such as their wine or olive oil. In fact consumer reports rated it the second best grocery store in the USA.
Their prices are affordable, less than a health food store and slightly more than a grocery store.
I love their chocolate covered coco nibs. They come in a little metal containers for $2. They make great small gifts for friends.
They have lots of vegan, vegetarian, and organic items. Many of their items are unique such as their chili spiced dried mango, mushroom mochi potstickers, or their cinnamon pecan chocolate.
They also sell fresh produce. Often it is in a ready to use format, such as stir fry veggies cut chopped and washed. I have bought the best peaches ever from a trader joes.
I can't wait until they expand to more locations. It is refreshing to find a store that focuses on quality food and not just cheap prices.
They also sell non veg items.

Pros: lots of vegetarian organic items, good prices, friendly staff

Cons: sells meat

Return to Rochester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Trader Joe's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.