Trader Joe's

• Health-food-store Health Store
    ( 1 review )
617-262-6505

899 Boylston St, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 02115

Part of a mid-size specialty food market chain. Has vegetarian and vegan food, some organic, natural personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, and more. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

1 Review

First Review by vegetarian

Nothing but the basics - Edit

My observations is that most Trader Joe's shoppers are yuppyish folks who want to save on their conspicuous consumption. Buying things we don't need, including heavily-processed prepared foods, is not a way to save money.

However, one CAN find great organic produce and packaged grains, beans, and soymilk as what I term "market-bottom" prices (the lowest prices currently available anywhere.A

For instance, fresh raw unsalted almonds for $4.69-$4.99; half gallon soymilk for $2.99; etc.

If you're frugal, avoid the heavily processed prepared foods and look at Trader Joe's as a place to buy what you don't buy judiciously at your increasingly overpriced regular grocers (where SOME comparable items can be far more expensive).

I've noticed that TJs has NO self-checkouts; every checkout requires a checker. Usually they're pretty good; if we watch, we can see that the shoppers themselves are the primary reasons for checkout delays.

I've seen a few novice checkers who see to be inept with bagging and checking; others are much keener.

Very clean, I thought. But again, some of these shoppers need 'mindfulness' practice; they are so self-absorbed and carelessly acquisitive.
Updated from previous review on Monday December 03, 2012

Pros: Soymilk for $2.99/half gallon, Fresh raw unsalted almonds for $4.99/lb., Lots of great organic produce

Cons: Checkouts can be slow, No self-serve checkouts, Cars in parking lot are inconsiderate

Return to Boston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Trader Joe's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.