Toukoul

Contact +322-2237377

34, Rue de Laeken, Brussels, Belgium, 1000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian restaurant in a spacious and modern setting. Offers vegan suitable dishes made with lentils, potatoes, and veggies. Selection of tea and coffee drinks. Live music Thursday, Friday, Saturday evenings. Crowded on weekends so better to book ahead. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by Danet

Back to Basic, eating with your hands - Edit

Super nice restaurant! I was here with one vegetarian and two omni's and we all loved it! I told the waitress I was vegan and she could easily tell me which dishes were vegan and which not. She also served the cheese separately. The dish you order is served in a small bowl, but you also get a bigger plate in the middle of the table with some bread and salad. The waiter will then divide the different dishes onto the big plate, because sharing is caring in African kitchen! Although the two omni's ordered a meat dish, the waitress made sure the meat wouldn't be served on the big plate on the side of me an the vegetarian person, which was really nice! this way we could still try all the dishes and share one plate, but the meat wouldn't get on my side.

Pros: The restaurant knows very well what vegan is and t

Cons: If you are very strict, you might feel a little un

What a vibrant place - Edit

Im really early and was the only guest in the restaurant for a while.
All staff is black and dancing while cooking and prepairing #ethiopian #food and #coctails etc. Really a good vibe around here. I should have come back later for a better experience but im starting to get hangry

Excellent! - Edit

Very friendly . For vegans , just ask for the vegetarian menu and the server will ask if you want vegan or vegetarian , vegan for the menu they just remove the cheese they put in the middle with the salad. The servers are very friendly , very cheerful , very friendly atmosphere. The Teff pancakes are vegan and gluten-free ! I found the delicious toppings , the price is very affordable and the decor is really pretty and warm. I particularly enjoyed the art exhibitions inside the restaurant ! I highly recommend , I would gladly !

____________________________________

Très convivial. Pour les vegans, il suffit de demander le menu végétarien et le serveur vous demandera si vous souhaitez vegan ou végétarien, pour le menu vegan ils retirent simplement le fromage qu'ils mettent au milieu avec la salade. Les serveurs sont très sympas, très souriants, une ambiance très chaleureuse. Les crêpes de teff sont naturellement sans gluten et véganes ! J'ai trouvé les garnitures délicieuses, le prix est très très abordable et la décoration est vraiment très jolie et chaleureuse. J'ai notamment beaucoup apprécié les expositions d'artistes à l'intérieur du restaurant! Je recommande vivement, j'y retournerais avec joie!
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 02, 2016

Sharing is caring - Edit

We went to Toukoul and it was really an amazing experience.

The concept is to share food: all dishes come served in one big round plate , which you eat with the help of Ethiopian bread (rolls of spongy flatbread).

The menu clearly marks dishes with meat, fish and vegetables, most of the latter being also vegan - staff understands and will explain.

We ordered one of the "discovery menus". One of the dishes had cheese and my friends also ordered fish: in the kitchen they did not use cheese in that one dish and they served the fish in a plate aside, so that we could share the vegan dishes without any concerns.

The food was simple and delicious, mainly vegetable stews and stirs: spinach, lentils, ratatouille, mushrooms, cabbage, etc.

The restaurant was packed (better to book in advance), with jazzy live music, but the friendly staff quickly found us a table.

A bit on the expensive side but totally worth it for the experience. Very recommended :)

Good food, nice place - Edit

I went for lunch and had the fixed price menu (appetizer, main dish and coffee or tea) for 14,90 euros. All appetizers were vegetarian and one out 4 the main was.
I liked it but the vegetables could have been more flavorful maybe. The place is well decorated, has high ceilings and a quite chic atmosphere.
Service was approximate.

Pros: atmosphere, tasty

Cons: pricey in the evening, service

The best! - Edit

Toukoul is a fantastic place!
I like to take out family or friends to this restaurant since most of them are diehard meat eaters and I am vegan. This place offers big shared plates and the staff listens to the your wishes with a smile!

Pros: Understanding staff, Good veggie dishes on the menu, nice atmosphere

Amazing ! - Edit

It was my first time eating Ethiopian food, and it was delicious !
The staff is really helpful, they have a lot of vegetarian things and I think a lot of them are vegan, too. Try it out !The atmosphere and the place are very nice, too. Price : moderate.

Pros: Nice place, Original, Helpful staff

Beautifull, delicious, expensive - Edit

This place has an amazing atmosphere from the minute you come in. The staff is helpful and knows what "vegan" means.

You should select a large plate with 5 or 6 different small portions of foods that you can share: lentil-based, mushoom, spinash, etc. they are all very well balanced, lots of flavour! You are served these foods with unsweetened crepes that you use with your hand (sink to wash your hands is available, spoon too).

The menu has a few vegan items, it's very delicious but costly. Probably about 30€ / person with a drink. I would recommend it if you have the money... ;)

Pros: Delicious, Lots of tea & coffee, Beautifull place

Cons: Price, Can be crowded, Portions could be a little bigger

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Toukoul closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3291 times since Apr 2014.