Tosca

Contact +81-0757217779

67-7 Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan,

An organic vegan cafe near Kyoto University offering a menu of mostly Japanese cuisine with a few fusion dishes plus organic wine. Uses organic vegetables, grains, and fruits. Rice and salad are ordered separately from mains. Casual atmosphere. Tue-Sat 11:30am-3:00pm, Thu-Sat 5:30pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Organic, Beer/Wine, Fusion

First Review by davidredstone

Very nice place - Edit

Today me and my friend decided to visit Ginkakuji Temple. It was raining so we wanted to have lunch before. I used HappyCow app as I always do and we quickly found Tosca. It was a good choice. The stuff is very friendly and they have a wide range of coffee.
There were 3 options for lunch. I am allergic to wheat and I don't like very oily stuff so in the end we decided to order curry (1 portion) and share it. 1 portion was enough for 2 people ;) I also ordered my favourite tea - umeshobancha and it was really good.
It is quite a nice place. I recommend it.

Pros: easy to find, friendly staff, not so expensive

Cons: few lunch options

Not for lunch - dinner? possibly - Edit

Visited there for lunch. Food was good quality, delicious. Good service. Restaurant spacious and good ambiance. Near Hyakumanben on Imadegawa dori. You can find other vegan/vegetarian restaurants for lunch which offer better bang for your buck.

Although the food was delicious, the portions were insufficient with high prices. Felt hungry after a couple of hours. Costs close to 500 JPY more than other places. Would possibly visit for dinner if I am in that area as other nearby restaurants are more or less closed for dinner.

Wouldn't visit again unless other restaurants are closed for some reason.
-1 for price relative to other places
-1 for portion size

Pros: Good quality tasty food, Nice ambiance, Location

Cons: Expensive, Small portion size

Not as good as the ratings before - Edit

Tosca is a classy restaurant which is definitely one of the more expensive places in Kyoto. The food quality is very good, but I always have the feeling that the staffs aren't really friendly. Also the quantity of the food could be a bit more.

Pros: Tasty food

Cons: Prices , Staff wasn't friendly

Cute, Delicious, Organic, Friendly - Edit

TOSCA... ALL vegan. We liked it a LOT.

We had lunch in Tosca once a couple days ago and hope to go back for dinner before we leave Kyoto.

5 stars, friendly staff, clean interior, excellent organic vegan food, great treats. World class coffee art - I had a bunny made on my cappuccino that was so cute (I'll post a pic) that I had to cry before I started to drink it. Hehe, well, not really, but I really wanted to look at that bunny forever, it was so cute. My sandwich was epic. The portions aren't large... but we were happily full at the end of our meal, and we can't wait to go back. Oh, there was some English speaking - and vegan! - staff too. Thanks, Tosca! Stay awesome!

Pros: Organic, and easy to find, Beautiful plating and coffee art, Cute, clean and cozy

Nice but not cheap... - Edit

I'd been looking forward to coming here while I was in Kyoto because of the rave reviews. I started off with a banana and protein smoothie, which arrived a pink colour but didn't have a lot of flavour of banana or anything. For main we ordered a couple of dishes to share: the short pasta with creamy sauce and with a side dish of garlic bread; and the tofu steak with s side of brown rice. The garlic bread was crispy, delicious and not too oily or sharp. The penne was al dente but its sauce was not that full of flavour. I ordered some assorted breads to mop it up with though, and they were fresh and very nice. The tofu steak was fairly ordinary, with the silken tofu breaking up into the sauce. Dessert was delicious: a carob and nut muffin with cocoa and hazelnut ice cream accompanied by brown rice tea and green tea. We did eat plenty, but the cost of the above was around ¥8,000, which was a bit more than I might expect.

Cons: A bit expensive

Just as a organic, vegetarian restau should be - Edit

Great food, excellent service, quiet, English-speaking. Maybe servings are a little on the small side for some. Will go back for sure. If you wish to rent an apt not too far, ask here (brother of owner has apts).

Pros: Atmosphere, Great food, English speaking

Cons: Smallish helpings

Classy, good food, friendly service - Edit

Visited this weekend, one of the few places in this area open on Sat night. Everything we tried was very tasty, including drinks and desert. Nice atmosphere and warm on a cold night. The servings are on the small side which could be improved. Service staff friendly and helpful, happy to do a 'lunch' option for dinner. Dinner set was good (2000Y) and burger on lunch menu very good for 1000Y.

Pros: tasty and healthy, friendly service

Cons: servings on the small side

So great - Edit

This was delicious food-- really so tasty and varied-- and SUPER easy to get to (there's a bus stop right in front of the restaurant!). Spacious with lots of tables for large and small groups, set menu comes with soup, salad, Japanese sides (tonight was some seaweed, some pickled veg, and some roasted root vegetables with delicious miso sauce) along with the main, and a piece of moist, delicious cake after. Don't miss the drinks menu-- green tea latte was extra special. Staff is friendly with good English. Don't be scared off by the $$$-- set menu is less than 2000¥ and worth every penny-- you'll leave well satisfied !

Pros: Easy to get to, Fresh and varied flavors, Friendly staff

Friendly and delicious vegan meals - Edit

Location: on same block as Kyoto University campus : on Imadegawa -dori ; just a few minutes walk uphill from Hyakumanben . Take bus to Hyakumanben or the intersection of Imadegawa -dori & Higashioji-dori . Tosca's website gives directions via subway also.

Menu & ambiance: comfortable wooden tables and chairs, lots of space and light, jazz playing in the background, English menu and an open kitchen . Tosca has salads, tofu omelette, home baked bread & muffins and lunch and dinner specials with soup, soy or seitan main course,pickled veg, other sides & dessert. Portions are generous and food is tasty. Our dinner special cost about $22. This was our last night in Kyoto and I definitely want to come back, to the city and to Tosca.

Pros: Vegan & tasty, Generous portions , Friendly staff

terrific vegan food - Edit

This is a mid-sized restaurant by Japan's standards; seats 32. The lunch menu offered 4 set meals today. Choices were: rice with side dishes, a burger, curry, and soup & salad. 3 of the entrees were ¥1000 and 1 was ¥1200. Portions are good sized. There were 4 dessert offerings and an extensive drink menu. Tosca has an open kitchen, which like the rest of the place, is very clean. Service was prompt even though every table was filled. There is one restroom, which is large enough, is clean and well stocked. Tosca is very easy to find. It's on the north side of Imadegawa St. and a couple of blocks east of Higashioji St. Look for the red awning with TOSCA written on it.

Pros: delicious food, clean and tidy, great service

Good Food, Friendly Staff - Edit

A nice mix between Japanese and western food. Great variety of special beverages. Very friendly staff, they even gave us an umbrella since it was raining. Card is im English also and English can be spoken, especially by the owners.
Definitely a recommendation.

Pros: Food, Friendly Staff, English speaking

Delicious food - Edit

Stopped at Tosca yesterday after walking around all morning. The curry and veggie burger were both extremely delicious! Plan on going back today before leaving kyoto tomorrow.

Pros: Easy to find// English menu and sign , Delicious, Friendly staff

Charming little vegan cafe - Edit

I visited a bunch of vegan restaurants in Kyoto on my last visit but this one felt like a place I would hang out at all the time if I lived in Kyoto. It has a nice cozy mom-and-pop feel to it.

The menu is limited (not a bad thing). I went for lunch and of the 5 options, I chose the kuruma fu sandwich, a wheat gluten ring that is breaded in panko and served crispy with lettuce, tomato, and a special sauce. Rather than being aggressive, it was seasoned with a delicate touch. The kuruma fu burger came with a beautiful little side salad of greens, raw beets, and radishes dressed with a tangy dressing and a few pieces of a egg-like tofu and vegetable omelette.
Everything was really delicious and well-seasoned.
I finished my lunch off with the goma (black sesame seed paste) latte. Oh wow was that amazing! I highly recommend it. Also, the presentation and the foamed soy milk latte art is outstanding!

As is mentioned in the other reviews, the owners speak fluent English and the menu is in both English and Japanese. I chatted a little with one of the young owners and she was super friendly. As I was getting ready to pay, I saw her taking out some muffins from the oven and I just had to have some. I bought one matcha and one fig muffin and took them with me for later that night. They were superb!

If you are heading to the Silver Pavilion (Ginkauji)--and you should since it's amazing--stop by Tosca. It's only a little walk down the same road as the temple.

Visited Jan 2014

Pros: Delicious food, Cozy atmosphere

Great food, amazing coffee and wonderful service!! - Edit

This was one of our most frequented restaurants on our month trip in Japan!

The restaurant is run by a family and we met two sisters and a brother - another of their sisters used to run the restaurant also, but has moved to Australia.

One of the other sisters used to live in Australia so she speaks perfect english! They are all just beautiful and so friendly! Made dining there a wonderful experience!

Their coffee's are AMAZING and they make them with Bonsoy milk (my VERY favourite kind of soy! extra frothy so great for latte's) - the coffee are is impeccable - we ate there 6 times and had a different design on every coffee everytime - from a snow man to a cluster of hearts, made me happy everytime a beautiful cup of deliciousness was placed in front of me! :)

The food is great and there is an English menu as well as Japanese with specials changing weekly. Every meal we ate was amazing - however we are pretty big eaters so we would often order two lunch specials each or three between us - but if you don't eat a lot one set will be enough. The food was so delicious we always wanted to try everything too, hence the over-ordering! ;)

They sell a few snacks to take away - fresh daily made muffins - delicious! Plus other packaged delights.

It is located on a main road near the Silver Pavilion and was pretty easy to spot.

The restaurant has a great vibe, nice and clean and was always pretty busy for lunch - although we always managed to get a table.

I would highly recommend going here for a coffee or lunch, or both! Great restaurant! :)

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 28, 2014

Pros: Coffee and coffee art :), Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: No cons!

Fun little dive! - Edit

Let me start out by saying that if you're not going to buy a meal there, at least go to get a black sesame (goma) latte and to admire the three beautiful sisters and brother who run the place! (seriously, they're all so good looking. And the latte is scrumptious, with a cute design in the foam.)

Anyway, I visited Tosca with a group of about six, so we all ate family-style. The food was really, really good. The plating and presentation is thoughtful and colorful. You had your heartier dishes, and your healthy ones; your creative and fancy plates, and casual comfort foods. A great variety of Asian and Western foods. It really filled my craving for yummy vegan food. Standouts include a gorgeous spring salad with sauteed mikan (Japanese mandarin orange) and a pan-fried tofu dish with a mushroom and green onion sauce. (really, everything was great, except the pasta marinara was mediocre.)

I honestly can't speak for the price since I didn't pay, but even if it's a bit on the higher end, it's worth it. The ambiance is pleasant and cozy, food is delish, and the staff all speak English (With cute Aussie accents). For dinner, it's great, and food comes quick. It was quite popular, too.
I would have liked to try a dessert, didn't get the chance.

I'll be returning (if I make it back to Kyoto)!!

Pros: yummy food, hit the spot., Handsome waiter, beautiful chefs, English-speaking, friendly

Lovely place, run by a family from Fukushima - Edit

Tosca is on the main road 'Imadegawa Dori', not far from another veg place called 'Sujata'.
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/KvOAo

Tosca is run by a family from Fukishima. They moved after the disaster there. We met the mother and two daughters, and another lady who worked there. The mother and she said they used to have a restaurant in Tokyo, but moved to Kyoto. She has two daughters who run Tosca, who used to live in Australia, and a third daughter still lives in Australia. They are all friendly and speak quite good English.

Other than being a little expensive, we liked the location, staff and food. If you are in the area of Ginkakuji -- the 'Silver Temple' -- it's worth checking out Tosca.

There is another place called Sujata which is just up the road, and is cheaper, but it is smaller and busier. We got served quickly at Tosca. Depending on how much time and money you have, this may or may not be important to you. Or, you could be like us, and visit every place you can!

Side notes:
They said they will update their website with English in due course.

The mother also told us she and her husband run macrobiotic/fasting retreats in the Blue Mountains, just outside Sydney, Australia. If you're interested in Macrobiotics or fasting, ask them about it...

Pros: Easy to find, The sisters and mother speak English, Good food

Cons: Expensive

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tosca closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4837 times since Jul 2012.