Tortilleria Nixtamal

Contact 718-699-2434

104-05 47th Ave (at 59th St), Corona, New York, USA, 11368

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small menu with a few vegetarian and vegan options. Makes their own corn tortillas from fresh corn. Sells fresh salsa and corn masa for take-out. Colorful interior.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by rmark25

Not really vegan friendly - Edit

I was excited to try this Mexican option for vegans when I saw it listed on HC, but when I visited and asked the hard questions they seemed to say nothing was available to me. Apparently even the veg tacos are still prepared by heating the tacos in lard. The tortillas themselves are vegan and one can buy them by the bag (really delicious) but the restaurant won't prepare them without animal fat. It was very disappointing.

artisan tortillas - Edit

This restaurant does not have a large menu and the vegetarian choices are even less, but what you do go there for is a place that emphasizes fresh, quality ingredients. Tortilleria Nixtamal makes their own corn tortillas daily from fresh corn...that's saying a lot! I have not gone yet, but you can stop by early and watch the entire process, which is something I plane to do soon. The atmosphere is bright, colorful and clean. The waitress was very friendly and seemed proud of the place. She was very attentive when I asked her about items with no meat and even asked me about cheese. She told me that they have the best guacamole in NYC. What I did have was very good and I plan to go back again. Definitely try one of the Jarritos, which is a brand of soda from Mexico that contains real sugar and comes in great flavors.They also have fresh salsa for sale and also sell fresh tortillas and "corn masa" you can take home to make your own tamales.

Pros: Fresh Ingredients, great flavors, inexpensive

Cons: needs more vegetarian options

Return to Corona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tortilleria Nixtamal closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 834 times since Aug 2010.