216-218 Katherine Street, Ashton Under Lyne, England, OL6 7AS

Not-for-profit organization operating movement/music and art studios, traditional counseling service, and vegetarian café with internet facilities. Offers wide range of services and activities to the local community of Tameside and Glossop, from art to yoga and all things in between. They use Fair Trade and Organic produce whenever possible. Mon-Thu 10:00am-4:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, English

First Review by sophym

Great vegan options! - Edit

I went here with my wife and parents-in-law and we were really pleasantly surprised! Great atmosphere, friendly staff and good value.

We had a nut roast and a crumble for pudding and it was all delicious.

Lovely cafe - worth a trip! - Edit

I found this place when searching for vegan-friendly cafes near Audenshaw, as my mum and I were looking to take an aged aunt out for lunch. There weren't any reviews so we decided to just go and see how it was.

The place was packed when we arrived, always a good sign! It doesn't win any prizes for decor but there was a nice friendly atmosphere and chit-chat between tables (being rather cramped). The menu doesn't list vegan options, so I asked at the counter and was given a comprehensive run-down of 4/5 things that they could do for me - soup, falafel sandwiches, salads, and a couple of the mains. I chose the spicy chickpeas and spinach topped with falafel and pitta bread, which was good. My mum and aunt both had the spinach and cheese filo pie off the specials board and said it was very tasty. Decent sized portions, and only £4.25 for a main! The sarnies and soups are around £2.50 each, very reasonable for lunch.

Of course we had to sample the puddings too - there was a chocolate and fruit cake which was vegan, and apple and plum crumble with vegan custard. I went for the chocolate cake but my mum ordered wrong so I ended up with crumble. I wasn't sorry though! It was really delicious. Crunchy granola-esque topping and not-too-sweet soft fruity interior, with a little jug of warm vegan custard alongside.

Thoroughly recommended - and considering that the train from Manchester takes 10 minutes and only costs £2.30, it's possibly cheaper to eat here than in town...

Pros: vegan-friendly, very tasy food, inexpensive

Return to Ashton Under Lyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Topaz closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1840 times since Mar 2009.