Tommy's Restaurant

Contact 216-321-7757

1824 Coventry Rd, Cleveland Heights, Ohio, USA, 44120

Serves meat, vegan options available. Operating since 1972, this restaurant offers a large menu with breakfast, lunch, and dinner food. Veggie choices including tempeh, tofu, veggies, and salads. Has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-9:00pm, Fri 9:00am-10:00pm, Sat 7:30am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Catering, Lebanese, Non-veg

First Review by critterchick

Favorite place to eat around here! - Edit

The food is delicious and I have no problem finding vegan options! The menu is very healthy, the people are nice, and the atmosphere is lively.

Pros: healthy food suitable for vegetarians and vegans, nice, lively people, fun place to get a bite to eat!

Cons: tends to be loud

Favorite! - Edit

Tommy's is one of the few things I miss after moving from Cleveland Heights to Cleveland proper. The vegetarian options are endless. The falafel sandwiches are not quite authentic Middle Eastern (try Falafel Cafe at Univ. Circle if you want authentic)but they are delicious and varied (e.g. a falafel sandwich with barbecue sauce that is very good. I also recommend the veggie burger, spinach pies, milkshakes, fries, and everything on the breakfast menu. Seriously, the breakfast menu is great.

I do not know how anyone could possibly leave this place hungry. I am a big eater and usually take home food.

It is a little noisy but I don't have a problem hearing my friends - just not an intimate dinner date place...more of a hanging with my friends and catching up place or take out for movie night.

Also, for any non happy cow users reading these reviews: four stars is the max for a non-vegetarian restaurant. Sad since this place probably offers more vegetarian options than any place in Cleveland.

more hoopla - less value - Edit

I must live in an alternate universe from the overenthusiastic crowd that exalts this place. I find it noisy, overpriced, decidedly un-vegetarian or vegan, and with uninformed and a could care less wait staff. Suggestion to owner: take an assessment before it's too late.

Pros: not much

Cons: prices, food, wait staff

vegan milksakes - Edit

tommys has been a favorite for many years. They have many vegetarian and vegan options. My favorite is vegan milkshakes.
Last time I was there I had a seitan fajita pocket and it was delicious, lots of food. I'm always happy with tommys.

Pros: vegan milkshakes!

Cons: little expensive for sandwiches

options - Edit

When my friend told me not to expect too much in restaurant options for vegans/vegetarians, I thought well maybe a few choices for Tommy's. Little did I know that I would have a choice of many! During my stay in both Ohio and Mich. I had to eat out several times and both times were terrible due to lack of options. I ate at Ruby Tuesday's and Cracker Barrel and they need help desperately with their menu if they ever expect to attract the nutritional aware customer! Due to power outages I had to resort to restaurant eating although at home I cook from scratch so I know what is in the food and it is QUIET.
Betsy Shipley

Pros: friendly staff, healthy cuisine, lots of choices

Cons: bit noisy, needs some more light

Not Worth The Price - Edit

Even though we loved the atmosphere at Tommy's, it was not what we were expecting. It is cold and loud, not the place for a large party that wants to hear each other. There were a few items on the menu that were "vegan" however we questioned the bread and condiments. The bread did look and taste like it had non-vegan ingredients in it. In addition, we were shocked at how pricey it was for everything!!!! The sandwiches run for around $8.00 plus tax and it is just a sandwich. If you want fries, you have to pay around $4.00 plus tax on top of the high sandwich price. Also, there are no side dishes really - so don't think you can just order a few side dishes. We left very hungry (had to stop somewhere else for more) and our pocketbooks were empty. Even though we live in the area, we will not go again. So, if you have money to waste, go ahead and try it but really it's not worth it. Plenty of other places.

Pros: Vegetarian Options, Nice Decor, Friendly Servers

Cons: Pricey, No side dishes, small portions

not vegan friendly! - Edit

don't be fooled! They do not use vegan bread, vegan soy "cheese" or have any tasty vegan deserts. Going to Tommy's is no different than searching for vegan options at any other burger restaurant. They even sneak dairy based mayo into their tofu "egg" salad. Their cookies taste like a rice cake dipped in sugar. Worst thing I've ever eaten. ever. My advice is just go to Mongolian BBQ down the street. at least there you know what you are putting into your meal and that it is being cooked separately from meat!

Tommy's is the bomb - Edit

I used to live right behind Tommy's, and I never got sick of it. Everything they do, they do well. The MR3 spinach pie is the best single menu item on the planet. One of the few things to miss about Cleveland when you are living somewhere else. They have meat stuff too, making it a good place to drag the meat eating relatives when trying to gently dose them with lefty culture. However, the veggie items are where they shine - many things that don't exist anywhere else.

Pros: the coolest place in Northeast Ohio

Cons: gotta wait sometimes, serves meat

Long time favorite - Edit

Tommy's has been the most popular restaurant in the Coventry area for decades. They have great salads, soups and veggie-friendly middle eastern foods, but their baked spinach pies are by far the draw for me. You can get a pie with many, many combinations of psinach, baba, hummus, veggies, cheese, sprouts, BBQ sauce and more. I recommend the Paisano. They also have a nice selection of tea and smoothie options, plus wicked desserts. Tommy's is located on Coventry Street, an area that is unfortunatly undergoing gentrification, but is still a fun place to shop and goof off.

Pros: Spinach pies, Salads, Spiked hummus

Cons: Parking

Return to Cleveland Heights Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tommy's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1762 times since Aug 2007.