Tom Yum Koong

Contact 781-393-0888

11 Forest St, Medford, Massachusetts, USA, 02155

Serves meat, vegan options available. An eat-in, take-out and delivery Thai restaurant with an accommodating staff. There is a good selection of veggie/vegan items listed on the menu, but in addition, the menu also generally specifies vegetarian upon request. Also has a location in Arlington, MA. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by HydrangeaCat

OK - Edit

This place is across the street from my home and is a nice option to have, but I prefer to go farther afield to places where "vegan" is better understood (Yak & Yeti or better, to all-vegan True Bistro, both in East Somerville). While it's true that Tom Yum Koong has many tofu and vegetable options, none are labeled vegetarian and they don't seem to understand the word "vegan" so when eating there, I've felt nervous that they won't take the care I would like in ensuring my food is not prepared in the same pan as their many fish/shrimp-based dishes nor that their sauces are completely vegan.

I have nothing against English-as-Second-Language folks, but when they don't know the term "vegan", then it can be tough to really know if what they're telling you is "vegetarian" is actually vegan or not (especially since so many people consider fish as "vegetarian"). I have of course asked about fish in the dishes I've tried (Masaman curry, Panang curry, Tofu triangles and others) and they've assured me there is no fish sauce, but it's hard to know if other things (e.g., shrimp powder or honey) are in mysterious sauces and I'm not motivated to talk through a long list of non-vegan potential ingredients.

For what it's worth, their food is tasty; I'm just not rating highly because I don't consider them very vegan-friendly.

Pros: number of tofu/vegetable options, friendly staff, tasty (& spicey)

Cons: don't understand "vegan"

Very veg friendly and delicious! - Edit

I've ordered delivery from them using Grubhub a number of times. They are usually either prompt or early, food is delicious, and their tofu is prepared like they know what they're doing. I found their crispy tofu to have way too much breading for my liking and their tofu teriyaki is a tad bland, but their noodle dishes never disappoint. I'm a frequent customer!

Pros: Good variety of vegan options, well priced, gets vegetarian VERY well, can special order

Cons: not as many healthy options as I'd like

A Nice Find - Edit

We've eaten at Tom Yum Koong in Medford twice now, and have been very pleased both times. The food is just-right Thai spicy, the vegetables are very fresh, and the staff is very willing to accommodate vegans. When we asked about ingredients in one of the meals, the waitress quickly checked with the chef to be sure.

The soup we ordered was made with a veggie broth, all of the curry dishes have a "tofu and vegetables" option, and there are a number of other tofu dishes on the menu. In addition, it seems most items can be made "vegetarian available upon request" as the menu states. We requested "no fish sauce" and "no egg" when we ordered, just to be safe.

Our waitress was very friendly and filled our water glasses several times during the meal. The prices were reasonable for the quality of the food. An added bonus is that if you go during lunch (before 3 pm), you can get just-slightly-smaller portions at a considerably lower price.

The restaurant is bright and clean. The bathrooms were clean. Parking is on the street which wasn't a problem for us, but might be difficult during busy times in Medford.

Pros: fresh food, friendly staff, good value

Cons: street parking only

Return to Medford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tom Yum Koong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 908 times since Mar 2011.