Tokyo Joe's

( 1 review )

16500 N Scottsdale Rd Ste 100, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 85254

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fast-casual Asian cuisine chain with vegan options listed, including tofu sushi rolls and build your own bowls. Sauces are vegan except the oyako (contains fish); rice and noodles are vegan except the ramen (contains eggs). A food fact/allergen list posted inside the restaurant. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Tigra220

Flavorful Tofu Bowls - Edit

The set up is very similar to Pei Wei; you order at the counter, they give you a number (if you're dining in), and you choose a seat. There are various seating options, from tables to the counter seating against the glass windows. Seating capacity is @ 135. They also have about 7 or 8 outside tables for those perfect weather AZ days. They have some bottled drinks and fountain drinks. Their fountain machine consists of Pepsi products and there is a tea bar with 6 different iced tea flavors.

As most vegans do, I did my research online before visiting so I was already aware of the vegan options, which are plentiful. (Check the allergen menu online or in the condiment corner of this location to confirm vegan items, etc.) All rice and noodles are vegan except the ramen noodles, which contains egg. All sauces and dressings are vegan except the Oyako sauce, which contains fish in its broth.

I opted for the build your own bowl. I ordered 1/2 brown rice, 1/2 Udon noodles, tofu, and veggies. There's an option to pick your own veggies; for an additional $1.45, you can pick an "unlimited" amount. Because I am picky, I decided to do just that. I chose broccoli, carrots, spinach, edamame, jalapeño, and green onions. (In case you're wondering, the free veggie option comes with the "Top 5" veggies, which are broccoli, carrots, snap peas, zucchini, and edamame.) For my sauce, I picked the Spicy-Aki, which is a spicy Teriyaki sauce.

The bowl was very good and the veggies were extremely fresh. That Spicy-Aki sauce was delicious! Not spicy at all (to me), but the flavor was excellent, nonetheless. There are 2 bowl sizes, regular and large. I got a regular bowl for $8 (including the extra fee for my veggies) and it was very filling. The rice and noodles were plentiful, as was the tofu. As for the broccoli, spinach, and jalapeños, there was 1 piece of broccoli, 2 or 3 spinach leaves, and 2 pieces of jalapeño, so that "unlimited" spill is to the contrary, quite limited.

Aside from them being stingy with my veggies, I enjoyed my meal and plan to return to try all of the yummy vegan sauces.

Pros: 8 vegan sauces & several vegan noodles!, fair prices

Cons: stingy with the veggie portions

Return to Scottsdale Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tokyo Joe's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.