Toge no Genkiya

Contact n/a

IMS (Level B1), Tenjin 1-7-11, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. This is a casual little musubi (rice ball) restaurant. They have brown rice musubi with our without nori seaweed wrappings, and with many different fillings. They also have lunch sets, which are are two musubi, miso soup and some small vegetable dishes. Their soup stock is vegan, but some of the musubi fillings include fish so watch out. Also look out for the natural foods store on the sixth floor of the same building.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by MissJO'H

A few vegan options, I think - Edit

Having my friend order for me I'm not 100% sure my order was completely vegan. However I don't have any other reason to believe it wasn't. There were a few vegan options and I tried three of them! Might be a little difficult to find because currently the map shows the wrong location.

Edit: Now it's the correct location!

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-02

Pros: Fast food

Cons: Probably doesn't know a lot of English.

Worth a try at least - Edit

So I noticed that this shop has yet to be reviewed so I decided to take one for the team and just do it. Fairly easy to get to from Hakata (take the subway to Tenjin Station then about 5-10 minute walk to the IMS mall where Toge no Genkiya is located). The shop itself is quiet with a nice ambiance to it. Staff are helpful with pointing out vegetarian options. On a slight side note I cannot vouch for staff English speaking abilities as I only spoke in Japanese to them but they did understand the word "vegetarian" so that's a start. If you opt for only onigiri they are about ¥230 each (not sure if that includes tax). There are only three options for vegans/vegetarians; plain salt, wakame seaweed and Umeboshi. Alternatively you can go for a lunch set (¥500, not too badly priced for what you get). Which is what I did. Unfortunately there is only one lunch set that is guaranteed vegan friendly and the dishes that make up the entire lunch set cannot be exchanged for something else. The food itself was really great and full of umami, despite no dashi. If you don't want to make the trip to Tenjin I noticed that there is a tiny stall (for vegans/vegetarians only the three onigiri options) in Hakata JR station, same location as Evah Dining Macorobiotic Bento stall. Overall I rate it three out of four stars. It as definitely worth a try.

Pros: Great tasting food, Helpful staff

Cons: Limited vegan/vegetarian options , A little on the expensive side for an onigiri

Return to Fukuoka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Toge no Genkiya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.