Toasted

Contact 407-960-3922

1945 Aloma Ave (at N Lakemont Ave), Winter Park, Florida, USA, 32792

Serves meat, vegan options available. Also offers a full veg menu and has in-house-made vegan cheeses. Uses local breads and products.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Non-veg

First Review by TinyBellydancer

not bad. - Edit

First, I had the vegan cheese fries. They were good. The novelty of melted vegan cheese hasn't worn off yet!
Next, I had the viva la vegan burger and liked it. It wasn't the best burger I've ever had, but I enjoyed it.

Good grilled cheese and fries :) - Edit

My mom and I ordered, and shared two items:

The Vegan 101 (grilled cheese with tomato). We both really liked it. It wasn't like a slice of cheese, but rather like a melted spread into the bread (I'm a poet..). The taste was nice for me, as usually I cannot deal with vegan cheese (except for Kite Hill). The fries were AMAZING :D It really cured my grilled cheese/fries fix.

The Vegan Bella (vegan burger with mushrooms and onions). Neither of us cared for this EXCEPT for the Artisan bread... SOOOOOOOO good!!

I'll be going back for the GC and fries for sure.

Cute place, super casual and the grater lights were cool :)

Pros: Vegan 101 was good, awesome fries, cute place

vegan cheese unappetizing - Edit

I got the vegan grilled cheese with arugula and truffle oil and the cheese appears to be a tapioca-coconut mixture incomparable to daiya. That being said the place is adorable and they have great fries, and my bf loved the regular grilled cheese.

Pros: cheap, cute place, good dairy options

Cons: gross vegan cheese

A Gem Has Sprouted - Edit

Before migrating from vegetarian to vegan, my wife and I used to frequent Green Lemon Cafe' in Winter Park before it closed in the Winter Park Corners shopping plaza. We were sad to see it closed not expecting much to be made of the vacant space.

But, alas! A gem has sprouted in its location. Nestled between Menchie's Frozen Yogurt and Omaha Steaks is now a novel new vegan-friendly establishment "Toasted - Crafted Grilled Cheese & Burgers". Through a work contact, Tiffany learned of this new place. And... They offer a Vegan Menu!!! Five (5) different grilled cheese sandwiches, three (3) different burgers, and French fries on their vegan menu.

Guess what? Not only do they make their own unique handmade vegan burger but they also make their own in-house vegan cheese.

Before I fail to note, the vegan cheese is a coconut milk-based invention and leans towards the delicious, messy, and milk curdled variety. Let's be realistic, okay? It's not based on an animal-based product and isn't your "average" cheese consistency. However, it's gooey, messy, and downright delicious to the palate. If you're expecting dairy cheese (stock cheddar, etc.) you might want to revert back to eating animal-based products and order their non-vegan grilled sandwiches. But if you're willing to maintain an open mind and let your palate do the deciding for you, then jump aboard and order a vegan grilled cheese sandwich for sure!

On our first visit, we shared the Roasted Vegetable Vegan grilled cheese, the Viva La Vegan burger, and an order of truffle oil & rosemary French fries. My favorite? All of them! Each was unique, creative, tasty, and an extraordinary value. Each bite presented a different culinary symphony to my palate and the flavor instruments changed from bite to bite.

Our last visit? We shared the Blackberry Vegan Melt, the Sweet Hearth vegan burger, and an order of truffle oil & rosemary fries. Again, interesting ingredient combinations did wonderful things on my palate.

It's a quaint, casual, and clean little restaurant that offers the basic items of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers, and fries. You walk out feeling satisfied and glad that you chose to visit. Our goal is to continue through their vegan menu and explore the wonder of each culinary creation. What a journey we've got!

Oh yeah... I asked for an acquaintance and they're willing to accommodate vegans with soy allergens. Talk about taking care of the customer, huh?

Pros: Creative & fun food, Unique & tasty, Clean & friendly

Cons: Not opened 24/7, Not closer to my home

Fun experience - Edit

I recently visited Toasted with my dairy-allergic omnivore son, my omnivore husband, and my omnivore-but-not-adventurous mother. We all found something to enjoy at Toasted, which is quite a feat! I had the Sweet Hearth burger (vegan burger, apple chutney, roasted sweet potatoes). My husband had the Southern Comfort burger; my mom a plain burger; and my son a burger with vegan cheese. He did not enjoy the vegan cheese, and neither did my husband, which surprised me a bit since they usually don't mind vegan cheese, so I imagine the problem must have been the restaurant's recipe. However, since I haven't tasted the vegan cheese myself, I don't want to say for certain that it's not good; I'll reserve judgment until I've tried it. The truffle fries were good, but next time I'll go with the regular fries as they were a tad too greasy for my taste. The music was good but a bit loud--conversation was difficult most of the time, which was a shame since I was there with family. The decor was fun, with a "periodic table of cheese" on one wall and a light fixture made from cheese graters. Overall, the experience was great and I'm looking forward to going back!

Pros: creative menu items, lots of drink options, fun atmosphere

Cons: loud-ish music, small area to eat

House-made vegan cheese! - Edit

Grilled cheese is not something that a vegan can just go anywhere and order. They have a separate vegan menu, so bonus points for that. Plus, they make their vegan cheese in-house. I thought the taste and texture were great. It's very melty and gooey (almost seems like it was never solid to begin with). Yes, the grilled cheese was greasy, but what grilled cheese isn't? Personally, I thought the blackberry melt was too blackberry-y; so be prepared for lots of berry spread if you order that. I believe the veggie burger is made in-house too. Black bean patty with good flavor and texture. The "Bella" burger had the vegan cheese and diced mushrooms and was an excellent burger (not your standard Boca--not that I don't like Bocas, it's just that I can make that at home easily). I had the regular fries (not the truffle oil) and they weren't any more greasy than any other fries. Prices were very reasonable as well.

Is it healthy? No. But it is a neat treat and very unique!

Pros: good value, separate vegan menu, different

Cons: not healthy (but that's to be expected)

"Toasted" Is New And Will Soon Learn It's Way - Edit

Toasted is a new tiny diner in the Winter Park Whole Foods plaza that is based around the concept of grilled cheese sandwiches. It's pretty innovative (they made a lighting fixture out of cheese graters), but the best part is that they have a generously sized vegan menu including sandwiches, burgers, salads, and sides. I ordered the Vva La Vegan burger, which is a blackbean burger topped with arugula and a sweet and savory chutney. It was delicious, but a little too greasy. Also, their fries (fried in truffle oil) were waaaay too greasy to be able to stomach (personally.) The spinach salad was fresh, crisp, and tangy because it was tossed with strawberries and cranberries.
Overall, this restaraunt is brand new and, with some time and more reviews, it will quickly get better. It's a great place for a quick bite or to take the kids to a fun place.
Also, they play clean hipster music. Nothing really mainstream, but something that all music types could enjoy.)

Pros: Separate Vegan Menu, Cute Place With $6 Entrees, Out Of The Box Menu Ideas

Cons: Too Much Grease, It's A Small Restaraunt

Return to Winter Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Toasted closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1566 times since Mar 2013.