Toast Five Points Durham

919-683-2183

345 W Main St, Durham, North Carolina, USA, 27701

Serves meat, vegan options available. Panini, bruschetta, crostini, and sandwiches. Uses farm sourced, local and seasonal produce. Menu changes with whatever is fresh. Always a vegetarian soup daily. Participated in Durhams'first Vegan Challenge 2010 and supports the local economy and revitalization of downtown Durham.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Italian, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Cmix

Not so much - Edit

My toast experience has been different from other reviewers. I've gone three times now, and I give up.

Nothing on the menu is vegan. When I've been in there, it has been really crowded and the order taker is NOT happy to have to explain vegan options. Last time, he gave me one choice, so I took it. The options I've always received, are taking the meat and cheese off other sandwiches to make them vegan -- I asked on my first visit if I could mix and match ingredients from other paninis and was told no.

There is always a pretty significant wait for a sandwich, and the place is small and crowded so not really a relaxing or pleasant dining experience (people bumping into my chair, constantly standing over us either waiting fro their food or waiting for us to leave so they could take our table).

The food is OK, but for $8, I would hope for better than OK, and a little more food (the price includes only your 5x5" sandwich -- it's $2 extra to get some salad greens on the plate).

The owners have a great reputation in the Durham community and support a lot of local organizations and businesses. They also have a pretty great drink selection. My omnivorous dining companion had a cheese/meat Panini which he enjoyed. But if you're a vegan there are better choices in the area.

Pros: Nice drink selection, Owner involvement in community

Cons: No vegan items on menu or specials, Expensive, Dining in experience

Great lunch spot - Edit

The server was super knowledge on the Vegan options available. I ate a spicy onion and tomato soup (which wasn't on the menu so it's worth asking), with three different types of crostini's. All vegan!

Pros: Good value, Friendly , Quick service

very accommodating to vegans - Edit

The attendant taking your order always knows or checks which soups are vegan (usually one or both soups of the day) and will recommend which crostini and other dishes can be made vegan. I usually get three crostini w the soup for an excellent lunch.

Something for everyone here. Vegetarians have a ton of options with lots of food cheeses, as do meat eaters. All around excellent local spot in downtown.

Pros: vegan friendly, vegetarian friendly , outdoor seating

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Toast Five Points Durham closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.