First Review by markvegan

Let's all go there and order the tempeh - Edit

Vermont restaurants close early, so when it hit 7:30 pm and we were still on I91 on our way headed north, I began to panic. I googled and telephoned and it looked like my kids would probably have to skip dinner that night when somehow I checked out the menu for this restaurant. True, the entrees were mostly meat, but there was also a pepita crusted tempeh with roasted squash and coconut curry sauce on the menu. I called to check the restaurant's availability, and we made a beeline for it.

The lunch menu has a LOT more options--curried chickpeas, black bean burgers, falafel, etc. There were not many choices at dinner--my kids had the pasta and my husband and I had the tempeh. There were a lot of very nice sounding side dishes accompanying the entrees that I am sure would have made a nice vegetarian plate had we asked for one.

The tempeh dish was sensational and that is why I am giving this restaurant five cows. The other food was good as well, but the tempeh dish would have been a standout even at restaurants like Candle 79 or Blossom. Crispy breaded tempeh slices atop a ring of baked squash with a red coconut curry sauce, sauteed red cabbage and a few steamed kale leaves. It was one of the most delicious meals I have had at any restaurant in quite a while.

We wound up here because the restaurant we used to stop at has become, sadly, veg unfriendly. So it was nice to stumble upon this little restaurant with this gem of a dish and hope that they receive enough encouragement to expand their veg offerings at dinner.

Return to White River Junction Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tip Top Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1520 times since Oct 2007.