Tinh Tam Trai

( 1 review )
905-738-9692

3255 Rutherford Rd Unit 10, Vaughan, Ontario, Canada, L4K 5Y5

Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant in the Vaughan Mills complex. Some items contain dairy or egg - ask. Banh mi sandwiches, soups, stir fries, rice dishes. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Vietnamese

1 Review

First Review by gekaizer

!!Vietnamese Vegetarian Haven!! - Edit

Highlights and FYIs:
- "Meat-like" flavours and visual appeal
- Attendant's English is alright, but not great; I don't care the food is good!!
- Cash and Debit (above $15) only

Vegetarian? Or want to cut down on meat? Miss Vietnamese cuisine flavours? Or just curious?? Visit this hidden gem!

I discovered this restaurant through Happy Cow. My wife and I visited Tinh Tam Trai in Jan 2017 for dinner. They told us they opened up 2 months ago, so it's fairly new.

OVERALL... experience was a big POSITIVE for me. Our cuisine is largely vegetarian/animal-free and one thing that I missed quite a bit was Vietnamese Pho and the Vietnamese rice dishes. The food we ordered closely resembled the traditional Vietnamese 'meat' dishes in terms of the depth of flavour, visual appeal and texture. Definitely will return for more!

DETAILED REVIEW

Place
- Bright, warm, welcoming. Has lots of green plants at the entrance!
- Very clean
- Location is in the outer rim of Vaughan Mills next to Captain's Boil, in the same area as Bulk Barn and TD Bank.
- 4 tables in total (2 x 2 seaters and 2 x 4 seaters) [I think]

Food
- Orders
+ "26. Vietnamese veggie spring rolls (Goi cuon)": The fried spring rolls which traditionally has pork in them. A well executed dish. It had 'meat'-like fillings and the rolls were stuffed to the limit with it. Served with a 'fish' sauce that closely resembled the actual thing, but not overwhelming (usually it is quite smelly).
+ "1. Assorted imitation meat Vietnamese sandwich (banh mi thap cam)": The baguette, my oh my. This was made fresh. The baguette crush was just unbelievably good. Now I did inquire as to whether there was mayo. Given the minor language barrier, I'm not sure... I believe she said there was. Regardless, the mock meat was excellente! Definitely tasted like the traditional assorted cold meat which I loved.
+ "9. Phnom penh style noodle soup (hu tieu nam vang)": Hands down the best vegetarian pho I've had so far. It was a little too meaty tasting for my wife's liking. I really enjoyed it, hit the right spot, ooh yeah. It is a clear broth with a deep, strong flavour which was excellent for the chilly evening. There were tiny 'meatballs', with some 'fish cake', 'pork belly' and 'shrimp' as well. The texture, visual appeal, and taste of the pork belly was amazeballs! The shrimp's bounciness was surreal. This is a definite must try! We were recommended to get "10." or "11." next time.
+ "16. House special rice (com tam tinh tam trai)": This consisted of rice, cucumbers, tomatoes, grilled 'pork', 'pork skin', and side dish made of 'eggs' and vermicelli. The texture of the grilled pork was executed so well. I cook a lot but I was baffled as to how they pulled it off! The pieces are flat and somewhat hard, to imitate the rough texture of meat. You can tear away the layers of 'pork'. The flavour had the right sweetness like the traditional VN grilled pork. The 'pork skin' mirrored the actual dish, kudos to them again. Now, the side dish made from 'eggs' and vermicelli. This is steamed and I'm not 100% sure if it's egg free. Will clarify next time, but I believe it is made out of tofu. Definitely tasted like egg though! Vegetables were fresh and rice was cooked perfectly.
- They also had a large variety of desserts and hot foods in stainless steel trays (similar to how Jesse Jr displays their food; I have no clue what they are called... I'll take a picture next time).

Price
- Items were generally less than $10. I think it's falls in line with most VN restaurants. Free parking too!

Pros: "Meat-like" flavours and visual appeal, Clean, Cheap (

Cons: Attendant's English is alright, but not great; I d

Return to Vaughan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tinh Tam Trai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.