CLOSED: Tinh Tam - Le Loi

Contact 054-823572

12 Chu Van An (at Le Loi), Hue, Vietnam,

Mock meats, rice and noodles dishes in a simple open floor plan. Uses MSG. Most locals eat cheaply from a set menu plate that costs around 5,000 dong. The English menu prices are more expensive. JAN 2015 Reported not here anymore/replace by Red Chilli BBQ Restaurant.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese

First Review by raphalla

Not bad - Edit

the pho was pretty good. very hearty and nice size serving. it had potatoes in it. i got fresh spring rolls too. 5 small ones per order. i couldnt finish. kinda didnt want to cuz of an herb or something in the rolls i am not used to yet. but im sure they are sposed to taste that way cuz ive tasted it b4. im just a puss. 55,000vd for all.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 09, 2014

Pros: bigger portion than other places, nice mother daughter team, potato

Cons: real chicken bone under my table

Not as bad as the past reviews make it sound. - Edit

This restaurant is by no means special or anything but the food is good. Yes, they use alot of mock meat but that's something I don't mind. Actually I like that. I also have no problem with MSG, after all it's nothing less than a plant extract which can be found in nearly every vegetable and is totally natural. I know there's alot of bias against it. Prices are OK, I didn't realise that there are two different menus.
The service was friendly even though the locals seemed to get their food 10 times quicker...

all in all, nothing special but good enough. No need to avoid

So-so - Edit

The food is average, and foreigners get an English menu that has higher prices. Unless you can ask for the local set menu. May use MSG. Careful not to order too many mock meats dishes.

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: too much mock meats, boring taste

Who would Buddha rip off? Foreigners, of course! - Edit

Bad news. This place has a Vietnamese menu and an English menu. The Vietnamese menu has normal Vietnamese foods at normal prices; the English menu has unidentifiable foods at 4-5x the price. I tried to order off the Vietnamese menu and was told each item I ordered was "done for the day". After much argument, the owner agreed to bring me pho. After a while, he brought a plate of noodles with cut-up tomatoes on top. I told him it wasn't what I ordered, and he said "This is pho". When I argued with him, he suddenly didn't speak English; when I got up to leave he said "OK OK OK OK" and tried to plead with me. I see other people have had the same experience, and since this place is centrally located in the backpacker area, I feel he will continue to scam people. Don't be fooled! Price- Vietnamese people: 5,000dong / Other races: 40,000-50,000d.

Give me some deep fried mock meat please - Edit

Not the most atmospheric of restaurants but the food was ok. Had the "chicken" with lemongrass, which was ok, but a little bit over fatty and very lemongrassy. OK tourist prices, though a little expensive if you take the lack of decor into account. We paid 140,000 including drinks.

Pros: very quiet

Cons: overcharge tourists

Would NOT recommend - Try somewhere else!!!! - Edit

Two tier price system with foreigners menu at increased prices with no local cheap standard dishes on it. Small standard Vietnamese menu on wall, but other 'increased price' menu pushed onto westerners. We ordered com dia - rice plate- from Vietnamese menu, food beyond abysmal, fly infested pot of chili refilled and re offered to us was our highlight - mmmmn nice. When going to pay told one price - 15.000 VND, average price for this dish, as we were about to pay, male owner came dashing over attempting to 'up' the price. There are a couple of other really vibrant vegan places locally frequented by locals that are way worth a visit. Really give this place a miss, it's quite frankly having a laugh.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 20, 2011

Cons: Two price system, Dreadful food, Dubious bills

Best value vegetarian restaurant in Hue - Edit

I own a vegetarian restaurant in Vietnam and when I am in Hue this is where I eat everyday! Owner has been serving great food for many years. Many monks and other Buddhists eat here - which says it is good! Prices are very reasonable. If you can not speak Vietnamese ask for "com" which is the rice dish and comes with rice, veg & tofu.

Pros: Taste, Service, Price

Great if you're in the mood for mock meat - Edit

We spent just over 100,000vnd on two soups, two main courses and two cups of ginger tea. Not bad value but I wish I'd read about the locals menu before we went there! The staff were helpful with our enquiries about the ingredients - there were some flavours in the sweet and sour we just couldn't pin down. Generally the food was ok, nothing too spectacular but good if you're after a mock meat night as nearly every dish contains it.

Pros: fairly reasonable, friendly staff

Cons: Cheaper locals menu not offered, too much mock meat, no enough veggies

Not much choice - Edit

The 'casava cake' is interesting.
Some kind of corn flour skin wrapped with green bea paste and serve with soy sauce.
The 'rice roll' was like chinese "popiah" but they used fresh vege.

Pros: Location

Cons: No atmosphere

Return to Hue Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tinh Tam - Le Loi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1447 times since Aug 2007.