CLOSED: Tikurs

Contact 832-884-1539

3815 Live Oak St, Houston, Texas, USA, 77004

Located inside SHAPE Community Center and offers vegan international cuisine with Cajun, soul, and Caribbean specialty dishes. Note: uses the same kitchen as The Vegan Cafe, a totally different business, but on alternate days. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Catering

First Review by Vegan Gal

Halleluja! - Edit

This is Vegan like you've never had it before. Tikurs is a tiny place, tucked into the corner of a community center, where the tables are plastic and you can see everything that goes on in the kitchen. But oh my God, the food is like none other. Everything is made to order, and you can watch it as it's made. It truly deserves the name "soul food", not just because the dishes are African-american influenced, but because the chefs put so much love into the food, you can taste it. The Zion Special sandwich with fries was unlike any other food experience - you MUST try it, it will change your life. The large order of curry with rice was excellent as well, with both Indian and Caribbean flavors intermingled. And the portions are HUGE! I split the sandwich with my mother, and we were both so full that we couldn't even begin the curry. We had it for lunch the next day (splitting it again) and we were stuffed to the gills. The entire meal, serving 2 people for both dinner and lunch the next day, was $20. Not kidding. All I can say is try this place. You will never forget the experience,and it may well become your favorite place.

Pros: stunning food, friendly chefs, huge portions

Cons: not health food

By far the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Edit

Tuesdays Thursdays and Sundays have now become my favorite days of the week. Tikurs is by far the best food I have ever had, and the constant variety of dishes leaves you excited each time . From the all vegan sandwhiches to the "t wangs" to the homemade natural cut fries and the ever changing special of the day it is all made with pure LOVE. And it shows in the taste/preparation/ and how it makes you feel afterwards. Portion size is just right service is outstanding. I would highly recommend this place to everybody (they also have an extensive raw menu) this really a "must visit" spot.

Pros: Friendly, Always fresh, Affordable

Awesomness !!!!! - Edit

Everything about Tikurs is AWESOME !!! Starting with the friendly personal touch, the food prepared in a fresh clean manner, the scrumptious flavors, the generous portions and reasonable prices. Looking forward to visiting again very soon and try new and different daily specials. The Vegan Apple Pie is OUT OF THIS WORLD : )

Pros: Excellent food, good value, Super clean

Contributions +22

Recommended - Edit

I was in town on business and found this place via happycow. I tried 4 different vegan restaurants while in Houston and this was by far the best meal. I had tofu in spicy wing sauce, hommus, and the special of the day, which was a rice dish covered in a veggie spice sauce. Everything was freshly made and delicious. Oh, and the banana coconut square was an excellent dessert, not to mention the strawberry banana smoothie. The staff was all very friendly and welcoming and even called a taxi for me when I was finished. I never had Ethiopian cuisine before, but it was excellent. I would highly recommend trying this place out!

Delicious Flavor - Edit

Veggie gumbo, potato salad, vegan barbecue "zesty cu," lentil soup, lemon pepper tofu, fried okra, "Down South Dirty Rice" sweet potato pie, chocolate cake, all vegan... wow. The food is really delicious and the people are so nice. There is a little bit of a wait as this wonderful new restaurant finds its feet, but the food is amazingly tasty and made to order. Dedicated vegan business which needs a little word-of-mouth to make a success.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, easy parking

Cons: waiting time

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tikurs closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.