TiK TaK Hummus Bar

• Vegetarian
Contact +36-30-7689450

Kertesz Utca 39, Budapest, Hungary, 1073

Serves hummus, falafel, and other Middle Eastern food including a vegan version of korm sabzi. Most items are vegan suitable. Uses no dairy, but some desserts have egg which is clearly marked on menu.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern

First Review by Zaz

Wish we had found this earlier - Edit

What a find. Absolutely great humus and falafel. Sure the place is a little bit grimy, but the food is delicious. If you're looking for a very affordable and quick lunch, just order the complete platter and you are good for the day.

Pros: Delicious, Affordable

Delivers - Edit

I don't have any complaints after my brief interaction with the owner... if anything, I found him fairly shy, maybe he's not fluent in English. Anyway, the falafel was great, and I had a minted lemonade and a dessert that were pretty good too. Apparently they no longer make baklava, which is a bit of a bummer. Other than that, this is not really a restaurant but it certainly serves its purpose.

Persian style - Edit

The owner is an adorable gentleman and he runs his business in his casual way (like as if he was having fun with his hobby, which is probably the case). You would probably have to wait a lot for your food but you can chit chat with him and have fun. Yes, the toilet is a disaster. Yes, you get plastic forks. Yes, the opening hours are not strictly kept. Yes, the hummus has a sweet vibe to it and it's nothing like anything you've tasted before. And falafels are simply heavenly...oh bottled beer is cheap and the atmosphere is priceless. So, maybe not for everyone but for me it's a YES!!

Pros: The owner , THE OWNER, The food

Cons: The toilets , The waiting

Absolutely disgusting!! would give a 0 rating - Edit

My boyfriend and I went to this place whilst travelling and wanted somewhere quick and easy to eat as we were absolutely starving.

When we eventually found Tik Tak, we received no welcome and the staff were talking to each other rather than the few guests they had. We made our order, from a small menu and was seated upstairs. There was no other customers in the restaurant. I made a trip to the bathroom and it was filthy!!! the light switch had dirty marks around it and there were stains all over the toilet.

We waited for about half an hour for our food, and the waiter did apologize for the delay. Both dishes looked like sick, and tasted like it too. The dishes were freezing cold, which we stupidly ate as we were so hungry. The dishes were sloppy, slimy and did not taste good at all; despite what other reviews may say. My boyfriend ordered a pitta but received a plate of mush, we later discovered the pittas in a basket underneath a lot of napkins and plastic forks.

Totally overpriced for what it is, freezing cold, horrible tasting food which made us both ill when we got back to the hostel. Avoid at all costs!!!!!!!

Pros: Central Location

Cons: Overpriced, small portion sizes, Freezing cold, disgusting food, Dirty environment

Confusing - Edit

I got really mixed feelings from this place. It's small place with few meals on the menu. According to the owner, all vegan. We got there falafel twice in two days..and it was really amazing, can't say anything wrong. We wanted to try also vegan seitan gyros, but it wasn't available. Owner (or employee?) is very kind man, English speaking, so totally no problem. On the other hand, place doesn't look very clean..
On the afternoon was closed (both days - weekend), but is it not mentioned anywhere. Prices are really friendly, for the pita falafel 600 HUF (+-2 euros).

Pros: Great falafel and hummus, Cheap

Cons: Not clean, Not following opening hours

OMG THIS IS AMAZING - Edit

Great felafels and hummus. Will definitely go back there again and again. I am not an expert of middle eastern food so cannot comment on how authentic the flavors are but I definitely enjoyed every bite of my felafel sandwich and would recommend this restaurant.

Just a comment on the opening time, I showed up twice at about 12pm-1pm on Saturdays and the restaurant looked closed but they seem definitely open for dinner.

The owner was super friendly and nice, had a great chat. Though be prepared to wait for a little while for the food especially you are after a rather large group

Pros: great food, great owner, nice decor upstairs

Cons: food might take a while

Best hummus place! - Edit

This was the best hummus ever! Although menu quite simple, it was very fresh and tasty. Felafels were also very delicious and price was so cheep. If you are looking for quick tasty meal, this is the place to go!

Disappointing - Edit

Falafel is sold in most kebab shops in Budapest so weren't quite sure what would make this 'the best falafel in Budapest'..and still aren't. True it was tasty but it took a very long time as we were behind a party of 4. we had some sort of deluxe option- A falafel+hummus combination with all the trimmings. I thought it was tasty but my partner didn't agree. I'm, afraid there was not enough dry/absorbent goods for all the wet salads and the plate soon became a runny mush.

Pros: Falafel itself was lovely, Friendly chef/owner

Cons: Not enough falafel, Overpriced for what it was

Best Falafel! - Edit

The place itself probably isn't for everyone since it's small with random older interior. But the food is excellent.
We had pita falafel. My brother actually wanted to go with something different, but after I placed my order, the guy working there started to prepare two pita falafel without asking him if he wanted the same.
Didn't matter in the end, because this was one of the best falafel I've ever eaten in my life. Combined with delicious hummus and the right amount of vegetables in a pita bread shell, we immediately forgot about the messed up order.

Pros: inexpensive

Yes! Yes! Yes! - Edit

This place is in the top 3 falafel I have had in the world (visited at least 20 countries this far)!

When I first arrived I walked in and walked straight out again because I didn't think much was happening inside, when that little voice inside my head said go back in. I have eaten here 4 times in 3 days and even discovered the extremely cosy upstairs dining area.

A must visit for the falafel lovers of the world!

Enjoy! ;-)
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 13, 2013

Pros: amazing falafel!, lovely owner, cozy upstairs dining area

recommend! - Edit

i been to this place back in 2008 when i was living in budapest and used to be a regular customer. i hope the vibe and everything is the same now as it was - i recommend it to everyone specially if u love hummus like i do hehe upstairs is nice and cosy :-)

Pros: location, food, deco

To avoid - Edit

I do not understand the other ratings... Because of them, I was expecting to discover a lovely place with very good food. I was really disappointed and angry.

The place is ugly, the staff is dirty: without gloves ,takes the money , cook, serve, whipe his face and hair, with the same hand without wash it... In a nutshell: absolutely unhygienic.
The food is suspect, the hummus contains curry and different spices to hide the unfreshness of the food. The homemade limonade is just water and syrup... too much sugar indeed.

And rather not speak of the toilets.

Our worst experience in Budapest during our one-week journey.

Best falafel ever! - Edit

This is the best falafel ever. We're serious. Don't let the run-down interior fool you because it's so delicious, so fresh, and so cheap. You'll spend around 2.50 Euro for a falafel pita and a piece of their delicious and sweet baklava.

Even the garnishes were great. The chef put the perfect combination of spices and fresh herbs right on top. So perfect.

The restaurant has tables and chairs upstairs with cool comics plastered along the wall. Memorable and worthy of your visit! We'll be back!

Good hummus, disappointing falafel... - Edit

We went to this place around 9:30 on a Saturday evening and were surprised to find it rather dead. However, this didn't put us off as the man working there was very friendly. The hummus was very good and the salad was a bit more interesting than the usual lettuce and cucumber arrangement. The falafel were a bit disappointing (it seemed that they were made largely of breadcrumbs as opposed to chickpeas) and the bread was average, but overall we were pleased we found this place. The leftovers made for a great lunch the next day :-) P.S. Beware of the mint tea: it's VERY sweet!

Pros: English spoken, Good hummus, Nice salad

Cons: Disappointing falafel

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has TiK TaK Hummus Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4620 times since Feb 2012.