First Review by Jemima

shame it isn't better for vegans - Edit

This is a cute wee cafe in a great location. Unfortunately they don't do vegan well here. I wish they did. I would love to go back when the weather is better and sit outside. The vegan menu was remarkably uninspired. Mainly humous & falafel salad type things. It also had a chickpea curry which was more expensive than most of the options (£6) and I went for that. When I was checking the smoothy I was ordering was vegan, the server asked if I was vegan & I said yes. She then removed the naan bread she was about to give me as she said that wasn't vegan. I was then served a soup bowl full of chickpeas that were cooked in curry sauce but that was all. No rice, no veg, just a bowl full of chickpeas. I asked the server if that was it & she said yes. I said it was a poor dish and she shrugged. There were more chickpeas in the bowl than a person would rationally want to eat. She served it with a slice of stale bread (I think it was meant to be toasted) and butter. I gave her the butter back and there was no vegan spread. It was a really bad meal. I wrote to the owner and suggested they could offer better vegan food without much effort but I didn't get a reply. I won't go back for food, but maybe a cup of tea. There was no vegan cake either btw - just sorbet. Shame it was all so poor really.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 15, 2015

Pros: good location

Cons: the food

Good coffee, stale food - Edit

Visited today specifically because they were listed on happycow as having some vegan options. Woman serving us was really rude but the guy making the coffee was nice. Coffee was good and they offer both soy and almond milk which is impressive. The almond twist (vegan sweet option) was really stale. The chocolate cake (not vegan) ordered by my partner was described as dry and bland. A cute location but we would not return.

Pros: Nice location next to the river., Allows dogs inside., Good coffee with both almond and soy milk offered.

Cons: Stale food., Rude staff member.

OK food, pleasant location - Edit

As I am becoming more accustomed to great vegan food being available in London, I was a little disappointed by the almond twist on sale here - it seemed a little stale and lacking in flavour. One bonus is that the cafe not only offers soya milk but also almond milk for hot drinks. Other foods on offer for vegans were salad, falafel and harissa flatbread (though I cannot speak for the quality of these as I did not try them). The prices are a little steep in my opinion considering the quality of the food I tried could have been better. The cafe's location next to the river is pleasant on a nice sunny day.

Pros: Location

Cons: Average food

Nice Shopping Break - Edit

We visited once, during a shopping trip. It was initially hard to find, as we weren't too sure what we were looking for! I think I had a small slice of a Vegan chocolate orange cake, and my partner had a Vegan pastry, along with a cold drink. We sat outside by the river, which was relaxing.

Pros: Nice location

Cons: Not many Vegan options

Don't risk the soup - Edit

We go to this cafe as we live near by and because it's in a lovely position. The Vegan options as far as we can see are samosas, soup and 1 cake choice. My husband had soup in a mug and it turned out to be some kind of instant soup and was undrinkable.

Pros: Position

Cons: Limited Vegan options

Inedible - Edit

When we visited the "restuarant" was under reconstruction & food was being served out of a marquee with portaloos for toilets, BUT, I can't imagine it would get a whole lot better. Food was cold, hard and basically inedible, the kind of food which gives vegetarianism a bad name amongst carnivores- tasteless & basically awful. I am not normally this scathing, but we were hungry & couldn't eat what we had overpaid for it was literally that bad.

Pros: Location

Cons: Food, Food, Food

Next to the water - Edit

Once you've made your way down to the Thames around Richmond you will find the cafe under a couple of the arches of a bridge going over it. They've enclosed it by glassing in the arches. In winter there is a cosy feeling when you go in with a couple of couches as well as tables. There are toys for children to play with, a book exchange area which has some old videos and a community notice board. In summer there is an outdoor area to sit in overlooking the water which is about five times as big.

There is a blackboard with food listed behind the counter. It consists of lots of snacks and light meals such as samosas, savoury pastries and quiche. There is also muesli for breakfast and there are cakes. There are coffee and cold beverages.

Service is fine.

Value is fine at about five ₤ for a snack and beverage.

I guess it's more than a three - because of the spot.

Pros: Pleasant place to go in all weather, lot's of yummy looking snacks

Cons: Menu is largely snacks

Return to South West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tide Tables closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2715 times since Aug 2007.