Tia's Mexican and Mediterranean Restaurant

Contact +44-01913839001

84 Claypath (at Leazes Rd), Durham, England, DH1 1RG

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a separate vegan menu including a daily vegan happy hour 5-7pm; pizzas, enchiladas, and chimichanga burritos all could be made with vegan cheese. Also a gluten-free menu, traditional Mexican cocktails and beers. Open Mon-Sat 5:00pm-1:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by aljam

Brilliant Experience - Edit

I absolutely love Tia's! It's one of my favourite restaurants to visit. I've written a review of them on my blog complete with pictures if you're curious and want to know more about the restaurant.

Pros: Excellent choice, Great customer service

Cons: Rice could be served hotter

Tia's Vegan menu - Edit

I visited Tia's for the first time tonight, thanks to some positive reviews for it's vegan menu, attending with my partner who certainly isn't vegan or vegetarian.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the wide choice of starters (7) and main courses (7) plus a choice of sides (again 7), which came on a separate vegan menu. Vegan friendly tortillas and dip were provided on each table.

I chose a garlic bread with vegan cheese for the starter which was both very tasty and plentiful. For the main course, I chose a vegetable enchilada, with an included side of fries, which was again very tasty and came with an artistically well prepared salad.

I knew from reviews that there wasn't a vegan dessert menu, however I was pleasantly informed that they had an off the published menu option of a vegan strudel with a creamy vegan ice-cream. To be honest, this was the best of all the courses and worth coming for that alone.

All told, an excellent experience and moderately priced. A nice quiet and pleasant environment (we went midweek, and there were about half a dozen other couples dining) but I would imagine that would increase significantly during the university term-time.

The only suggestion I would have for the owners, would be to have vegan options permanently on the dessert menu, and to highlight vegan drinks (some are obvious though), perhaps on the vegan menu.

By the way, my meat eating partner really enjoyed his jalapeno poppers starter, and hanging steak kebab too.

Pros: Choice of vegan courses, Excellent service, Apparently they do take away

Cons: Could really do with vegan marked wine/drinks

Great service, tasty food! - Edit

We were immediately asked if we needed a gluten-free or vegan menu, which was much appreciated. Both the vegan and non-vegan options arrived promptly and were very tasty. Affordable vegan food, friendly and accommodating staff and nice environment - what more could you ask for... Deliciousness? Check! Great drinks list? Check! (Though it would be helpful to know if they're vegan or not.) Also, some vegan dessert would be nice (please..?) Overall, great place - I'm definitely going back soon!

Pros: Great vegan menu, Friendly and accommodating staff, Affordable food

Cons: No vegan dessert :(

Nice Restaurant | Average Food - Edit

First the positives, Tia's has its very own vegan menu and there is always a good atmosphere with attentive and friendly staff. The starters are excellent such as the Tia's Rose and garlic bread vegan cheese. It is also perfectly located. However, although they have a good food selection of mains such as chimichangas, enchiladas, fajitas and pizza the food just lacks a little flavour and spice for me. There was also not one vegan dessert option available. You would expect at least one in this day and age surely. In summary, nice place but average food.

Pros: Seperate Vegan menu, Good vibe, Nice staff

Cons: No vegan desserts, Lacks flavour, serves meat

Great Birthday Feast - Edit

We went here for my daughters birthday and had a massive feast for the vegetarians and vegans in the party.

9 of us in our party.

Great service, value for money and tasty food and would definitely go back again.

I would give this restaurant a 5 star overall rating, but Happy Cow only allow 4 due to meat being served in the restaurant.

Pros: Great Service, Value for Money, Tasty Food

Amazing - Edit

We went for happy hour and had the vegan cheesy garlic bread, vegan pizza and chimichanga with salsa and guacamole. It was so good, perfect vegan junk food...such a treat. It's hard to find places that do vegan cheese I think so finding this was a nice surprise. We just went in and asked for the vegan menu. The staff were really lovely and welcoming, they even let is know that the mints were vegan given with the bill without is asking. Also we got complimentary salads and tortilla chips. Would really recommend, can't wait to go back for that cheesy garlic bread!

Nice restaurant, good choice - Edit

This restaurant is extremely popular and you can see why. It's friendly, welcoming and has great choice including a vegan and gluten free menu. I wanted to love this place as it's the first time pizza has appeared on a menu since becoming vegan a couple of months ago, but somehow the food didn't set my world on fire. I had the chimichanga with vegetables and vegan cheese, which was nice but not amazing. I'm pretty sure there was honey mustard dressing on the side salad too, which would obviously offend strict vegans. My friend had vegetarian kebabs which looked great and she enjoyed them apart from the under cooked aubergine (no one likes under cooked aubergine, right?). Worth a visit but Jumping Bean Cafe in Durham was more to my personal tastes for vegan options.

Pros: Friendly, Good choice, Good value

Cons: Not for strict vegans, Noisy

great for vegetarians and vegans - Edit

Tia's has many vegetarian options and also a separate full vegan menu with many options. The food is both great quality and value for money. The staff are really friendly and make you feel very welcome. This is definitely the best option for vegans and vegetarians in Durham. I would really recommend going there to eat if you are visiting Durham!

(I would give this restaurant a five star rating, but Happy Cow only allows a maximum rating of four to restaurants which serve meat)

Pros: Quality and Price of Food, Friendly Staff, Near the Centre

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tia's Mexican and Mediterranean Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2741 times since Sep 2012.