First Review by slo0go

delicious spicy food - Edit

This place is pretty easy to find thanks to previous reviews; however, the sign out front was not in English, so we had to rely on our GPS and directions provided to make sure we were at the right place. There are large windows with a kind of golden interior. We had the chicken with chili and peanut mix and an eggplant with green beans dish. Both were spicy and delicious. I would definitely have both dishes again. They sent over staff that spoke some English who helped take our order. Picture menu with English. The food came very quickly.

Easy to find - Edit

I don't know why this Restaurant is described as hard to find. I often had problems finding specific locations in china, but not with this one.
Minni wrote how to get there coming from Shaanxi History Museum. If you are at the Big Goose Pagoda it goes like this:
The pagoda is located in a temple and around this temple is a park. If you leave this park through the western exit, then the restaurant is to the right on the opposite side of the road.
I added two pictures from the outside of the restaurant, so that it is easier recognized.
The food was very delicious, but a bit spicy. No english spoken, but (a big) english menue with pictures.

Pros: many vegan options

Cons: maybe a bit expensive

Good food, poor service - Edit

We stopped by for a late lunch at ~3pm after visiting the giant wild goose pagoda. We were the only customers at the time. The server was standoffish. We weren't given any time to look through the menu (which was quite extensive, as the other reviewer noted). The waitress brought us a pot of hot water and just stood over us impatiently for us to order. I felt so rushed that I ended up picking a few dishes randomly (smoked tuna, stir fried peas with fake sausage, some sort of pickled veggie with walnuts, and a dessert dish with purple yam, pumpkin, and turnip in coconut milk and topped with red beans and chopped green pea). Fortunately, all the dishes we picked were very tasty. The pickled veggie with walnut dish was a cold dish. I was told not to eat any cold dishes in China in fear of contamination with tap water. We didn't have any issues after eating here. Oh and I asked for light oil, which they did a reasonable job accommodating.

The price was reasonable. Our bill came out to be $125 CNY (the price might include a pack of napkins, which we had to ask for).

Overall, it was a good experience. The food was really good and the price was reasonable. Just wish the service was better.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 04, 2013

Pros: Good food

Cons: Poor service

Buddhist Chinese restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is located on the Ci'en West Rd (慈恩西路) which is on the right, if you're walking along Xiao Zhai East Road towards the Big Wild Goose Pagoda from the direction of the Shaanxi History Museum. Once on the right road, walk along the road towards south a couple hundred meters, and the restaurant is on the right side. There is a big dining room with big glass windows and also an attached tea house.

The food was ok and the ambiance nice. Menu is very long and has pictures. I'd recommend this place, especially because it's situated conveniently near big tourist attractions, such as the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.

Pros: good food

Good experience - Edit

In case my update doesn't go through, please note that the location shows up incorrectly on the map. It should be between the Big Wild Goose Pagoda and Shaanxi History Museum (comfortable walking distance from either). If you do a google maps search for "Tianlong Baoyan Vegetarian Restaurant, Xi'an" it'll show up in the right place.

This is a sister restaurant of Daxingshan Temple, and they in fact share many of the same menu items, though this restaurant is more expensive.

Big menu, friendly staff (when I was there, at least). As far as I can tell, everything is vegan. It's not that cheap, especially after eating at the cheaper sister restaurant, but you can eat a very satisfying meal for vert little money, depending on what you order. I had soup, a huge order of dumplings, steamed buns, and bean cake for dessert (the only thing I wasn't crazy about) for under $10.

It's a little tricky to find if you don't know what to look for, as there's no English writing. There are big red lanterns hanging outside, and a huge stylized drawing of a man right inside the entrance. It's located on the west side of the street.

Pros: Big servings, Nice atmosphere

Cons: A little tricky to find, Not super cheap

Meh - Edit

This restaurant was okay. The staff did not speak much English at all and seemed annoyed by our very presences. We definitely had language barrier problems. We ordered skewered mock meat, a spicy chicken dish, mushroom noodle soup, and a mixed mock meat plate to go. The skewered mock meat was delicious, though strangely it was presented in a pool of salt. The salt was really excessive, wasteful, and unnecessary. The spicy chicken dish was excellent. We had issues with the soup, as we ordered one bowl and it took a very long time to come out. When it didn't come out within 30 minutes of the other dishes, we figured they may have forgotten, so we ordered another. The waiter tried to explain to us in Mandarin, apparently, that our order was pending. However, I believe we made clear that we only wanted one order. He put two in anyway. When the second one came out 30 minutes after the first (we were done eating by then), we asked that he take it back. He seemed to understand, but then he took it back and charged us for it anyway. We disputed the charge. It wasn't that expensive, but we didn't want to pay for the soup especially after he had taken it back; it would have been a different story if he had wrapped it up for us to take away. Also, the mock meat plate was our most expensive order and it was horribly disappointing. By the end of the night, our waiter seemed absolutely sick of us. Overall, a meh experience.

Return to Xian Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tianlong Baoyan Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2336 times since Aug 2009.