Tianchu Miaoxiang Vegetarian-Tsinghua

Chuang Ye Building, Beijing, China,

Founded in 2003 and operates another outlet in Chaowai(CBD). This location is near east gate of Tsinghua University, Hai Dian District. Offers extensive vegetarian menu including a variety of mockmeat dishes. Organizes monthly free vegetarian cooking training salon. Open daily.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by hengkiong

good place - Edit

The place is in the building just behind the Google one. You can either reach it from Chengdu lu, or by crossing the science park if your come from shuangqing lu. But do not enter qinghua university as it is outside.

Food was good, lot of choice, reasonable price. I would give 4 stars for it. The reason I only give 3 stars is that the room has nothing special, ie it is not a place I would spend a couple of hours. Service was ok though nothing extraordinary. But definitely recommended for the food, which at the end of the day is what we come for, isn't it?

Excellent gourmet vegan food in Wudaokou - Edit

I went to the Tsinghua branch of the restaurant after trying the other one in Chaowai. This one is only 200 meters away from Chengfu Lu in the heart of Wudaokou, much easier to find than the other branch, and just as excellent! We ordered stir-fried winged beans (清炒四角豆), cauliflower on a hot plate (铁板松花菜), braised eggplant chunks served on a "paper" dish (纸锅茄丁), and Kung Pao monkey-head mushrooms (宫保脆珍). Too bad there weren't any more shaomai 烧麦! The chrysanthemum tea (玉菊活颜茶) was also excellent. A lot of food, for which we paid around 90 RMB (14 USD) each. The place was crowded but cozy (the setting is actually very similar to the Chaowai branch), the staff friendly and efficient. Tianchu Miaoxiang and Suhu are definitely the best options in this area, and possibly in the whole of Beijing. Greatly recommended.

Pros: Very rich choice, Reasonably priced

Really good vegan food near Tsinghua - Edit

I'm at Tsinghua University a lot. This place and Veggie Tiger are wonderful resources to have nearby. I eat at both. The food at both are really good. I probably life Veggie Tiger a bit more because they have so much variety of good Chinese tea. But I Also really life this place.

Pros: Very good vegan food. Near Tsinghua University.

Tasty and affordable - Edit

We went there on a week day around 7.30. There was quite a few people already waiting for a table. We had to wait for around 15~20 min. But it was okay since we didn't know what to order so we used that time to look thoroughly through the menu.

We ordered 4 dishes and we paid around 120rmb. The portions are a bit small. Two of the dishes were really good! But the other two didn't impress me.
If you're around the area give this place a try! The menu is quite big and varied, so there's a lot to choose from and for a good price.

Pros: Varied menu, Affordable

Cons: Have to queue, Small portions

Absolutely delicious - Edit

This place was wonderful. I ate here several times while visiting Tsinghua University, and I really loved the food. Everything I had was uniformly well prepared, well balanced, and delicious. The staff were helpful and friendly, even though I spoke no Chinese. The menu had sufficient English to make it clear what I was ordering. (Like almost all Beijing restaurants, it had pictures.)

My only complaint is that it is hard to find. Here are directions. From the south gate of Tsinghua University walk south until you reach the main road (Chengfu Road). Turn left and then turn left on the next street. Follow this street back into the Tsinghua science park. The road will take a sharp left turn, before it does the restaurant is on the main floor of the building on your left. It is *not* the restaurant you see from the street but rather it is inside the larger building.

The restaurant is not on Google maps, but is inside of a building that Google maps calls the "Innovation Mansion."
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 30, 2014

Pros: Delicious food, Good service

Cons: Hard to find

Worth looking for - Edit

This is a small little vegetarian restaurant, which is difficult to find, but really worth looking for. It's close to the East gate of Tsinghua university and the old Google building is next to it. It is at the bottom floor of one of the office buildings. You just have to keep asking if you can't find it right away. :)

It's cafeteria like, not as fancy as the Chinese vegetarian restaurants usually are. But the food is really good, the menu is also in English and it has pictures. Lots of different kinds of mock meat dishes. I think it's open 10am-10pm. At lunch time the restaurant was really packed with locals, but after 2 pm it was much less crowded.

They follow the Buddhist principles and they have Buddhist literature, but their library includes also lots of Chinese language animal rights literature (Francione, Regan, Singer etc., but also Chinese books about treatment of animals). Restaurant uses some milk products, but not eggs, nor 5 pungent spices. They have many different varieties of tea and different fresh juices.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 11, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, Pro animal rights, Friendly service

Cons: Difficult to find

good food close 2 the google building... - Edit

really nice dishes and teas. i loved their chicken with peanuts and chilly. unfortunately they never have the wrapped tofu. but the chicken stick have been a good replacement. i love mock meet :)

Pros: cheap, fast

Cons: hard 2 find

Very good food at great prices - Edit

Very good choice of food, I have been there now a dozen times or so overall in the last 3 years or so. Their mock chicken dish with dry red peppers is excellent and I order that every time I go, however last go round they did not have it and looks like the chefs have moved to another branch. The juices are very good. It can get crowded during lunch hour. Overall very pleased with the restaurant.

Pros: Prices, Variety

Cons: Location hard to find

Pleasant cafe-like atmosphere - Edit

This is a good place to go if you happen to be in the vicinity of Beijing or Tsinghua Universities or the Summer Palace, but tricky to find the first time around. If you don't read Chinese, the Chuang Ye building is a highrise named "Innovation Plaza." The restaurant isn't actually in this building, but everyone we asked once in the vicinity knew where it was. Easiest access is from a parking lot around the corner that has a sign for Dough Works, and a red sign on a wide pillar for this restaurant in the far right hand corner of this lot.

They have a wide assortment of dishes at 10-30 kuai each, with color photographs and english descriptions on the menu. They also have fresh juices and brown rice on offer. We went on a Friday night and had a short wait.

Cool Place - Edit

Today I decided to go to another place. Tomorrow going back to Singapore.
Since there is no Chinese address, I called the restaurant and asked for directions.

天廚妙香素食
清華東門外,清華科技園創業大廈一層110
www.liaofan.com

Pros: Reasonable Price, Excellent food

Cons: Don't accept Visa/Master

Return to Beijing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tianchu Miaoxiang Vegetarian-Tsinghua closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2546 times since Aug 2007.