TIAN Restaurant Vienna

Contact 18904665

Himmelpfortgasse 23, Vienna, Austria, 1010

Vegetarian fine dining restaurant. Kitchen hours are 12-2:30pm and 6-9:30pm. Open Tue-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by marielou

Very small portions, not very tasty, and very expensive - Edit

From all the positive reviews, I was expecting a great experience. However, it was by far the worst vegan restaurant I've been to in Vienna. I would seriously avoid it.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-19

Best tasting menu - Edit

One of the best meals of my life. The vegan tasting menu is superb. From beginning to end everything was incredibly tasty, outstanding quality and locally sourced. The service was absolutely professional and the environment was very elegant, but perhaps more importantly, comfortable. I enjoyed the creativity and the pleasure of enjoying an 8 course meal during four hours on a very pleasant summer evening. The wine pairing were also perfect, and while I'm not a big fan of beer, pairing dessert with an Austrian beer worked pretty well. I used to like Austrian wine before, after Tian I would put it among my favorites. Tian definitely provides the experience of Vienna at its best. I know, it's pricy but worth every Euro.

Pros: Food quality , Presentation , Service

OUCH!!!! - Edit

I did enjoy very much three of my four courses. The one I didn't quite appreciate was some kind of pancake, filled with sauerkraut of all ingredients.. Let's face it, sauerkraut is probably very good for you but couldn't really be regarded as exquisite. I was happy to pay some 46 euros for it, especially since the menu also included some appetizer, some dessert prior to the main course and, as a final present of sorts, a "cigarette" made of chocolate. But hey, it wasn't 46 but 93 euros, as I misunderstood the menu! Please do not make the same mistake that I did, simply asssuming that the higher amount is the menu with wine, and the lower one the food itself. In view of it all, I can only draw two conclusions: either other gourmet restaurants I've been to in the area (Chez Nico in Innsbruck, The Lucky Leek in Berlin) are unusually affordable, or Tian, or at least its gourmet menu, is a total rip-off.

Lovely people; amazing food - Edit

If you are not afraid of spending money on food, lots of money, (no, even more than that), then this place is fine for you. I usually am afraid, myself, but they took me without a reservation (but don't try that yourself--it seriously will not work) and the food is spectacular. Truly.

Only one thing, while everything was good, there was one dish--the asparagus one--where I seriously felt that I was not good enough to be eating this dish. Yes, it was that good.

Do as I did, maybe, if you're still thinking about money.... Stay at Wombats for cheap and eat at least once at Tian. You will not regret it.

Pros: Superb food, Great staff, Nice location

Cons: You're kidding, right?, No, really., Well, it's not a budget place....

Very Special and Extraordinary - Edit

Even though the vegan options are limited, they are simply great - freshly made and seasonal. The staff is friendly and everybody knows what they are doing. If I had the money, I'd eat here every week ;).

Pros: Extraordinary, Nice location, Great staff

Cons: Limited vegan options

Very fancy, but food is worth it! - Edit

I wasn't quite sure what to expect based on other reviews, but I found this place to be a wonderful experience! It was definitely pricey - we elected to do the a la carte rather than the full tasting menu - but the menu was very inventive and the vegan items were clearly marked. You start with several different kinds of oils with warm bread, and they even brought me an avocado spread instead of the butter as an addition to the oils. For my meal I had the eggplant, and then a deconstructed sacher torte for dessert - which was AMAZING. I couldn't try my husband's food because he got vegetarian rather than vegan, but he said it was also very good. Go in prepared for a fancy and kind of experimental experience and you will not be disappointed!

Pros: Amazing food, Great atmosphere

Cons: Fairly expensive

Taking slow food to a new extreme - Edit

We actually can't give a full review of Tian, because never managed to place an order. After 45 minutes we had only tap water and a complimentary shot of "anti-alcoholic grape juice". The portions looked small, beautiful but with prices that just didn't make sense. Again we weren't actually able to TRY the food, because after said 45 minutes we decided to leave - the staff seemed really stuffy and pompous, almost as if they wanted to prove that a vegetarian restaurant could be as pretentious as any other Viennese restaurant. Possibly the food is quite good, but if you decide to go here, don't make other plans and make sure your credit line isn't maxed out, and maybe bring a book for the wait.

Pros: Vegan/Vegetarian gourmet restaurant

Cons: Service, Price

Limited Vegan Options - Edit

All veggie menu that looks quite good, but the vegan options are limited. It is pricey, but a nice place. Certainly a nice spot for a fancy night out. You will want to freshen up at the hotel prior to going, not the place to pop into after a long day.

Unique experience, highly recommended - Edit

beautiful setting and dishes, friendly staff, great atmosphere. I can't even describe the food but it was like eating artwork, and it was delicious. Expensive, yes, but worth it.

Pros: festive atmosphere, beautiful decoration, great food

Cons: not vegan, menu is quite small

very good but expensive - Edit

The Restaurant serves very delicious, extravagant, vegetarian food. Some of the dishes are also vegan or can be made vegan. It is also quite expensive but worth the experience.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 24, 2014

Updated from previous review on Monday February 24, 2014

Exceptionally good food, beautifully presented - Edit

By far the best meal I had in Vienna, this restaurant serves innovative, interesting and absolutely delicious vegetarian food, some of which is vegan or could be made vegan. The quinoa main course, with 3 different kinds of quinoa and a little forest of vegetables was both beautiful and scrumptious. For the quality, the prices are reasonable although they are higher than the average vegetarian spot in Vienna. Highly recommended.

Pros: delicious food, excellent service, English spoken

Cons: more expensive than average

not vegan friendly at all - Edit

tian is not vegan friendly in any sense you can think of: poor vegan choices; owners repeatedly made it clear that they have no regard for animal rights at all.

very posh place, very expensive

Cons: poor vegan choices, no regard for animal rights

Nouvelle Vegan Cuisine - Edit

While I am not a fan of nouvelle cuisine with its super small portions and focus on design, this place was a pleasant surprise! Some dishes of our 5 course meal looked almost too pretty to eat, and with others we we not always sure what to eat, but EVERYTHING they served was exquisite- even if quirky sometimes! Take for example the mushroom coffee brewed table side - wow! The main course was a quinoa dish, the best I had in a long time!

Apart from that, atmosphere, wine choice, service all delivered to an excellent experience! This is a beautiful place for a high-class meal. It's not a choice for every day, but sure for occasions where you celebrate or are in the mood for something fun and special.

Pros: Beautiful interior, Haute cuisine, flair explosion

Cons: Some dishes a little too eccentric

For a Special Occasion - Edit

Tian is a beautiful restaurant. From the soaring ceiling to the chic table setting, it whispers understated class. It is an expensive restaurant, serving exquisite small plates and offering outstanding wines. For the vegan or vegetarian looking for a special night out, there is no better place in Vienna. For an omnivore who hopes not to gain weight, this is an outstanding choice. We celebrated our anniversary here, and will come back for birthdays. The food is creative, top quality, beautiful and delicious. Vegans don't have much choice, but what is done is done very very well.

Pros: Beautiful Room, Delicious Food, Outstanding Wine List

Cons: Expensive, Very Small Portions, Vegan choices are limited

we were not lucky - Edit

We are vegetarians! Vienna was 5 days. Unfortunately, we do not like this place. we caught some neprtny waiter who was clearly unhappy with new tourists - we smiled, moving away from us and making faces. We made ​​a menu in German - we do not know the language could not understand)) once we have no appetite, and we decided to go elsewhere)))

What a nice surprise in Vienna - Edit

Finding some good vegetarian food in Vienna was always a big problem for me. Tian is a surprise for me! Centrally located, with good service, delicious and well designed food.
Highly recommended! But book the table in advance!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Location

Exquisite Epicurean Experience - Edit

Tian is truly a treasure for a special meal, with good service, Excellent food and good atmosphere. This is fantastic gourmet food, and the combination of ingredients in the various courses is superb. I had the prixe fix menu, which allows a set price for 2 - 4 courses. I had three courses which was just right for me. Wish I had room for 4! The chef is extremely imaginative and as mentioned, serves up pretty unique combinations presented extremely well. A amuse bouche is presented right at the outset and sets the tone for the rest of the meal. Highly recommended - if you go to Vienna without putting this down on your must dos, you're truly missing something special.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good service, Imaginative cuisine

Cons: None!

Meh. - Edit

Fussy and insubstantial with limited vegan options. The vegan entre was maybe 300 calories of admittedly fresh and pretty food.

Pros: Local food. , Presentation.

Cons: Limited vegan options, Attitude, Portions

stylish - Edit

For sure the most stylist veggie restaurant in Vienna.

They are serving a lot of different interesting food and on request are most of them also as vegan possible,
for example I had noodles with chanterelle,
the vegan option was to change to non-egg noodles easy but effect full :-)

The waitress was very friendly and the service was great.

Only the price was for the portions size a bit expensive, so for me not a restaurant what I would visit daily but if you are looking for a special one - for a special day - it would by the right one

Pros: quality of food, the service, ambience

Cons: price, sice of food

not vegan friendly! - Edit

This is a very nice trendy restaurant to out to with your meat eating friends like I did. They will like it. However, with only one vegan option for the main course, I do not consider it to be vegan friendly. I prefer to have some choices. Add that the vegan meal was very creative but only consisting of some vegetalbe which is not a full meal for a vegan. It was like eating two starters.

Try it anyway, one time, for the atmosphere, but not if you are hungry because the meals are very small.

Pros: trendy, good service, well prepared creative food

Cons: very few vegan options

Excellent!! A must - Edit

I wished we had this place in NY it would be a huge success and will be in Vienna too. The food is light, creative, refined and delicious, you can tell that a lot of thought and hard work went into it. Take note that this isn't fast food, so you're not finished in under an hour... Cost is higher end, but reasonable for the level of effort. The waiters are trained and friendly and the restaurant is modern bright and open. Downstairs has a club/night bar. I've eaten a lot of vegan food and eaten at restaurants, but this gets five stars. Jeans George's, Robuchon take note!!!

Pros: Food, Ambiance, Staff

Cons: Portions , Smokers

fine - Edit

This place certainly is fine dining and accordingly expensive. Excellent service I only had an organic fresh pressed orange juice and that was probably the most expensive fresh juice i ever had ! but the service is super, the waiter was excellent, telling me all about the organic oranges they use have no pesticides etc. so if you are looking for a real quality organic restaurant - this is the place. Top location in the town.

Pros: organic, quality, stylish

Cons: expensive

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has TIAN Restaurant Vienna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6211 times since Feb 2012.