Thien Duyen Ben Thanh

Contact 39147453

159 Calmette, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Vegetarian food restaurant with extensive menu in both English and Vietnamese. Food is made to order. Wi-Fi and power outlets available. Note it's serving milk and yoghurt drinks (Jul 2016 update). Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by fatsilas

Annoyed - Edit

Food was good and came quick but while I was eating, the lady member of staff there was staring at me eating, and said something to the two customers next to her who also started staring at me and laughing.
I looked away to try and shove it off and ignore it, but looked up and all 3 of them still staring at me and laughing. Went on for about 5 minutes.
Probably to do with a 'westerner' using a fork and spoon, but really put me off my food and couldn't enjoy myself.
This is why it only gets three stars. Shame as the food was delicious.

Pros: good food, quick service

Cons: staff staring at me while I eat

Good, cheap food and handy location - Edit

This is a handy place in District 1, so I came here a number of times while I was in Saigon. I tried a 'beef' soup and bánh xèo pancake and both were very good. I came in regularly to get bành mì filled baguettes for brunch and they are delicious, notwithstanding the burst of chilli (only about one bite though), which is a bit hot for my taste at that time of day. I tried my friend's 'pork' rice and it was just a little dry, although did come with a sauce. Like most places in Vietnam, fruit juices come with sugar unless you request otherwise, and be aware that there are drinks containing milk and yoghurt here. Food is good and you can probably satisfy your appetite for between VND20K and VND30K (cheap).

Great cheap lunch - Edit

This place is super local with not much english spoken by the staff, but the menu is in english and you can point at the dish you want. All dishes are vegan except for the curry and all are GMO free, which is GREAT!
They have great Banh Xeo which you should really try, and an amazing Pho Bo which tastes so real you'll be going OMG WTF :) The spring rolls are great and so is their lemongrass fried tofu. Some dishes can be a bit bland like the Korean tofu sauce but mostly its super tasty and well worth your money! And it is SO CHEAP you can eat there every day no problem!
Highly recommend going there! But don't expect anything fancy as it is a very local place but clean enough.

Pros: Great food, very cheap

Cons: little english spoken, but you're in Vientam :)

Delicious and Big Variety - Edit

This place is very good and has a large variety. I couldn't believe the selection of fake meats...even fake fish and shrimp were available.

First I want to recommend the lotus seed milk. They make it there with no added sugar and it is by far the best drink I've ever had in my life. It's almost like vanilla coconut milk, or what a white chocolate mocha wants to be.

I have the spicy bun noodles. I forget the whole name
I also ordered pork and bread/buns for take out. This was really good and hard to believe it's not real pork, but very salty.

The location is further west than it appears on the map.

Best Pho in Vietnam - Edit

Went to this restaurant after reading reviews on happy cow and found myself the best vegetarian 'pho bo' that I've had so far. My partner who isn't a vegetarian was shocked at how authentic the soup was without using animal products and it was presented beautifully and traditionally. The pho came with a selection of tasty vegetables and herbs and the chillies they used were nice and firey.
My partner ordered a lemongrass and chilli mock chicken dish which was rather dry and bland, but the pho saved the day.
The restaurant itself is very clean looking and the staff were very friendly and we both spoke enough of eachother's language so that we could get by!
We also had the sweetened soy, peanut milk and it was delicious.
A great meal, very cheap and somewhere that we returned to many times during our stay in Saigon. Definitely recommend.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

Great drinks and great food - Edit

He had the passion fruit drink which was delicious. He also ordered the strir fried pho, with crispy noodles.

I had the homemade lotus flower seed milk which was very sweet, but the best "milk" I have ever had and it just costed 12k VND. Even my non vegan boyfriend loved it. I also had the stir fried pho which was very good and filling.

The staff was nice and there were locals and munks sitting there eating.

Price was cheap with and you got a good portion of food.

Facility was nothing special, it was like many "normal" facilities in Saigon.

Pros: Good food, Great drinks, cheap

Cons: nothing special about facility

Very Pleasant Little Diner - Edit

This was truly a gem to find in Ho Chi Minh City. Although it is a small scale restaurant (not fancy), it was very pleasant and clean on the inside. Our waitress was extremely friendly and enthusiastic about vegans :) The mock meats here were very nice; the "chicken" and corn dish was really tasty. The spring rolls were unique and flavourful compared to a Western equivalent One thing I particularly loved was the homemade soy/mung/peanut hot milk. It really hit the spot. I thought I saw dairy on the dessert menu, so I'm not sure if it's 100% vegan, but I was too full for dessert anyways (and the hot milk could definitely count as one for me, after adding some sugar!) We had the pleasure of treating a monk to a vegan dinner as well while we were there, which was always nice. Overall, a very pleasant dining experience!!!

Pros: Extremely Friendly Staff, Quaint Interior, Delicious Vegan Food

Cons: Small

horrible experience - Edit

I went to this place to have dinner, in fact I am went here for breakfast now and then as my place is close by, however recently I experience horrible services from this place and the food is extremely poor and I could be describe as shocking. A number of time there was long hair in the Broken Rice dish and other time I order Vietnamese Pancake it supposed to be crunchy but in fact it was soft like it just have 2 mins in Microware cooked, it was soft and old like it was cook last month and it even just warm instead of hot and crunchy. When I asked to see the owner to find out the reason why the dish was so shocking, the manager she seems don't care and just ignored, I paid for the pandcake dish which I did not eat it but check the changes it was shortfall by 40k that added to further insulting. I ask the waiter to check and they said it was their mistake and gave me correct change.

The owner came out to see me and say it was due to the flour which is consider to be too bad excuses, the cook came out from the kitchen telling lies to me that this pancake is just cook when I ordered, which to me was lies 100% they thought I am foreigner and from the himalaya mountain and just arrive to HCM or something and I don't know what vietnamese pancake is like when it just cook.?

I told them do not give food to your customers when that food you can't eat yourself.

Conclusion bad services, poor manners, bad people skill, which I never go back here again forever, i sure won't miss it ever.

Thien Duyen Ben Thanh, Ho Chi Minh City - Edit

I was there earlier this week. There's a retired guy helps out there who lived in California for 37 years. Thus for me as an English speaker there was no need to worry about a language barrier. he was pretty friendly and chatty shooting the breeze about this and that.

The food was good, inexpensive and tasty.

Pros: Vegan, Tasty & inexpensive food

Cheap vegan food - Edit

Wide ranging menu with English descriptions, though we didn't think we got quite the same dishes we ordered and no-one there spoke much English.
Lots of mock-meat dishes and some nice spicy flavours. The "chicken" was so realistic we were reassured that one of the guys had a Vegan t-shirt on and was enthusiastic to greet fellow vegans!
This is an inexpensive cafe with Formica tables and lots of Vietnamese customers.

Pros: Vegan, Cheap

Cons: Very little English

Good eats but not blown away by this place. - Edit

Had a good meal here after stumbling across it wandering around the city. This place was quite busy when I was here with locals eating in and taking away from the food stall at the front of the restaurant. Some of the dishes or ingredients for the restaurant are taken from the food stall, as previous reviewers have said. I ordered salt and pepper tofu with mushrooms, which came with rice and was delicious. The vegetable noodles were nice, but a bit bland and basic. I washed this down with a soya and mung bean iced milk that was delicious. Price was reasonably cheap. Overall I'd recommend this as a good place to eat, but there are some better and cheaper places nearby and some exceptional places in Saigon for a small fraction more money.

Pros: Good menu selection, English translation on menu, Friendly staff

Cons: Better places exist

My favorite place - Edit

This place is right near my home, and I've been eating there maybe a 100 times already.
I've tried most of the menu, and the food quality was never less than superior.
The staff are nice and friendly. They don't speak much English, but they are extremely accommodating.

The only downside I could find, is that sometimes there are ants on the table, but not a big deal.

I highly recommend their Bun Bo Hue, which is a high value dish for only 30,000VND (1.5$).

Regarding the other reviews complaining about the outside buffet - having a buffet like that is very common in local Vietnamese restaurants. It sounds like complaining about street food being... street food.
If you don't like it, you can order from the normal menu.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 06, 2014

Pros: Delicious food, Cheap prices, Friendly staff

Cons: Sometimes ants on the table

... - Edit

nice enough place, clean and friendly. my partner ordered lemongrass tofu which was tasty and hot (temp). i ordered some rice with veg and mock meat, which was not too tasty and cold. i noticed afterward it came from the stand out the front of the restaurant. ditto flies, and generally feel a bit weird eating food that has been sat out for ages, even if it isn't actual meat.

Disappointing but OK - Edit

Well, a lot has changed since the last review, possibly new ownership. The staff weren't friendly at all, they were impatient and offish. The sandwich bar has gone and instead a sorry excuse for a buffet which I wouldn't advise anyone to eat off. It was peak lunch hour and the place was maybe 10% full of Vietnamese people who were all ordering off the menu not the buffet.

I ordered stir fried veg with steamed rice which was good (tasty, fresh and crunchy with a nice gravy), and sauted 'beef' satay. I made it quite clear repeatedly that I do not eat garlic or onion (I am allergic) - this is not unusual in a buddhist vegetarian place. They were impatient with me and weren't listening and you've guessed it, the satay 'beef' came out with lots of onion and garlic and not a peanut in sight. When I pointed this out to them they made an issue of it and suddenly the staff who before had claimed to not speak english started speaking english. The whole thing was embarrassing. They then took the plate from my table and put it on the buffet outside after I had been poking around it with utensils that had been in my mouth. The buffet food outside is kept at ambient temperature and had flies buzzing around. The place in general was a bit grubby.

Maybe the place has seen better days or I was unlucky and got a bad day.

Pros: Menu food good, veggies fresh and crunchy, rice fresh

Cons: slow turnover of buffet, Staff attitude could be better

excellent!!! - Edit

wonderful food, all vegetarian, mock meats, noodle dishes, highly recommended, plus the staff is very friendly! oh, go for dinner, lunch is crazy busy and buffet style, so there's not as much selection.

Pros: all vegetarian menu, great tasting, big variety

Cons: lunch is buffet style, lunch is really crowded

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thien Duyen Ben Thanh closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2732 times since Jun 2009.