Thelonious Monkfish

617-876-7868

524 Massachusetts Ave (at Central Square), Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 02139

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sushi and Pan-Asian cuisine restaurant in Central Square. Despite its menu primarily being seafood-based, there are vegetarian and vegan options, including fancy sushi rolls and tofu entrees. Vibrant atmosphere, live jazz music some days. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Japanese, Beer/Wine, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by VindicatedVegan

Great Lunch - Edit

My friend and I went for lunch recently and both had a tough time deciding on what to order because there were a lot of options. We ordered the Alice Coltrane Roll, Satori Tofu and Drunken Noodles with tofu. The roll was really good although they forgot to bring it out so we had it after the main dishes. The Satori Tofu was a little lacking in flavor. We ordered the drunken noodles without fish sauce, oyster sauce and egg but even though heavily modified was very good. We both had a good meal and would definitely return.

Pros: Lots of options

Cons: One dish needed improvement

Wonderful spot with live jazz! - Edit

My husband and I went to Thelonious Monkfish last night for the first time and were blown-away. It can be difficult to find a place with good vegan food for me and also animal-based food that my meat-eater husband will like. This place had both, and the selections were gourmet for sushi and pan-asian cuisine with quite a few inventive dishes with names taken from the music and fairytale worlds. I had the "Alice Coltrane Roll" (wok-roasted balsamic-glazed shiitake, green apple + asparagus tempura) and the "Frankie & Johnny Roll" (Sweet potato tempura, cream cheese + avocado wrapped in nori + rice with black + white sesame, but omitting the cream cheese) and my husband had a grilled salmon dish. Both meals were well-presented and we both enjoyed them. The menu also had some fancier pan-asian vegan dishes, featuring mushrooms, panko-crusted tofu, etc., which I look forward to trying. But truly setting the night apart for a vegan-friendly restaurant was that a three-piece jazz band was playing in the front of one section of this two section facility. Apparently there is live jazz Thursday through Sunday. There are very few restaurants in the Boston area that my husband and I, both professionals in our 40s, can go out, both find something we would truly enjoy eating (with me being vegan and him being a meat-eater), and feel like we are on a nice date. Thelonious Monkfish allowed us to do so. We definitely will be back.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 20, 2016

Pros: Variety of vegan items on menu, Live jazz, Vibrant atmosphere

Cons: Tables are very close together

Return to Cambridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thelonious Monkfish closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.