CLOSED: The Yabba Pot

• Vegan

Contact 410-662-8638

2433 St Paul St, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21218

Vegan soul food restaurant. Casual, with an eclectic lunch and dinner menu. Features smoothies, live juicing, and vegan desserts. Regular live music rotation, health seminars and weekly open mic. Reported closed. Moved and became The Grind House.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Soul Food

First Review by ladie99

Closed! :-( - Edit

I used to love Yabba Pot, but unfortunately they are out of business. They did not renew their lease, and an Italian restaurant is going into that location. (The owner of the Italian restaurant says they will have vegan options.) I found this out when I tried to go to Yabba Pot today (10/17/11), only to find no Yabba Pot sign, and construction going on inside the building. I filled out the form on Happy Cow to let them know. But meanwhile, I posted here to save folks the trouble of trying to go there.

Comfort Food Like Never Before - Edit

The ACTUAL website is: http://www.theyabbapot.com/

I always thought of comfort food as the loved meals of our childhood. Since I didnt grow up eating vegan meals, as a grown up my comfort foods were limited. But when I dined at the Yabba Pot, I found everything to be filling, delicious and comforting like no other menu I'd sampled before.

I'm always dragging friends along, both vegan and omnivore, to try Yabba Pots fare and no one has ever been disapointed. My omnivore friends have been astounded at just how wonderful the food is. And, no matter how many times I go, I am always astounded at the portions. I've never been able to finish a meal at Yabba Pot, but that just means I have another fabulous meal when I get home.

And to make matters better, Yabba Pot has a funky artistic atmosphere and a friendly, down-to-earth staff that makes every dining experience a joy.

My only complaint is that my availability to visit Yabba Pot often doesnt coincide with their hours. They are closed on Mondays and I do not believe they open before noon on Sunday.

Pros: food, price, atmosphere

Cons: location, hours

Wish I knew about this place sooner! - Edit

Absolutely LOVE this place! I had the curry chicken with brown rice, sauteed squash and cabbage. Excellent!

Pros: good food, great prices, large variety

Cons: not the best neighborhood, easy to miss location

Amazing food and atmosphere! - Edit

We walked in and were greeted by two staff members, and they were so friendly! There was a lot of art on the walls and the dining area was pretty big compared to what I was expecting. They have a delicious vegan only menu, and I'm pretty sure it changes daily, but today it was Vegan chicken and salmon, fresh greens, cabbage salad and tossed baked potatoes in a sauce. Everything was so good, I'm glad we decided to take the Yabba sampler to split for 15$. And we even had leftovers! The music in the background was a great choice in style and fit well with the overall decor of the place. If I come back to Baltimore, this will definitely be a first choice in dining. There was also a juice bar, which I didnt try due to my being full, but it looked really great. A++

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Portions and Variety, Very well decorated

Cons: Non-recyclable "to-go" containers

True Soul Food - love, love, loved it! - Edit

My husband & I visited The Yabba Pot for the first time today & we were both floored! We ordered the $15 sampler plate (channa masala, king greens, lentil stew, black peas, baked chick-un, citrus soul "ribs", and spinach salad on brown rice) to share & were both very full. The greens and citrus soul ribs were to die for. The chick-un drumsticks were by far the best mock-meat I've ever had. The fake bone was a humorous touch, too! We literally sat back in the chairs, blissfully chewing away with our eyes closed. It was really THAT good. This part may sound crazy, but we could even feel the good intentions that went into making the food - that's what hubby called "true soul food". The staff was very friendly & helpful. They had some left over fresh juice & brought it to our table to sample. We ordered 2 of those to go & another big carry-out box of food. I cannot wait to go back soon!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, very good price

Good food! - Edit

My husband and I had lunch today at this all-vegan restaurant. The atmosphere was welcoming and casual. Food is served counter style and the chef (Skai? I think...) was actually there if you had questions.

Much of the food was of the "vegan soul food" variety and all of it was delicious, though I suspect the specific menu changes from time to time. Today they had about 5 hot items, 4 cold items (including a great raw-kale dish), several fresh squeezed juices, coffee, teas and a few vegan desserts. We especially enjoyed the black-eyed peas and sauteed greens. They also had a vegan potato & chick pea curry which was excellent. A word of caution though, most of the food was heavily laden with garlic, which I found to be heavenly, but you may not want to go here on a first date!

All in all I highly recommend it!

Pros: tasty food, all-vegan, friendly staff

Cons: lots of garlic-not necessarily bad

Tasty and satisfying - Edit

We enjoyed a yummy hot meal on a cold day while passing through Baltimore. I had the veggie chili; my wife had a barbecue dish. Everything was great. It was like getting a home-cooked meal in a strage town. We got some of the chocolate cake to go, which was also good. The inside was fun and interesting and encouraged guests to linger (I think free wi-fi was also offered). If I lived in Baltimore, I'd probably hang out there frequently.

The only negatives we experienced were the area -- it was fairly rundown -- and the fact that they were out of several different juices we asked about.

Pros: great food, fun atmosphere, all-vegan!

Cons: not the best part of town, ran out of juice

2 Responses

Real food! - Edit

My party tasted practically everything the Yabba Pot had to offer on the day we visited, and we all, even the carnivore, agreed: delicious. The mock chicken, of which I'm typically wary, had a meaty texture and good flavor. I like my meal to be colorful, and Yabba Pot delivered. Kale, sweet potatoes, eggplant--be adventurous, trust, and you will be satisfied! I also loved the colorful atmosphere, and especially, though this has little to do with the great meal, the paint effects on the walls. Matte up high, gloss below, with the wavy border between--so clever I wish I thought of it myself.

Great Food! - Edit

Everything I tasted was wonderful. Will definitely be a returning customer.Some favorites are the BBQ tofu and the chick-un salad

Pros: seasoned perfectly, many options, friendly people

Good Food - Edit

The food here is very well seasoned,the crowd is culturally diverse, it's clean, and the overall atmosphere is lively. If you have a chance teh Citris Ribs or the Creole fish is wonderful. My only gripe is a lot of times they run out of food. Its best to call ahead to see whats available that day.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: runs out of food, parking

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Yabba Pot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1041 times since Aug 2007.