The Wildflower Cafe and Crooked Rooster Brewpub

Contact 607-535-9797

223-301 N Franklin St, Watkins Glen, New York, USA, 14891

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu is meat based but does include a few vegetarian items: veggie penne, lasagna, portobello mushroom burger, vegan black bean burger, plus some salads. Lots of beer.

Category: Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by bill

Burger + fries + beer = YUM - Edit

Get the quinoa burger with a side of the sweet potato fries. Order the Mysterious Amber beer. Enjoy!

But, seriously, their vegan quinoa burger is amazing. Their sweet potato fries are perfection. The amber ale pairs well with the meal. The next time I visit Farm Sanctuary, I'll have to pop into The Wildflower Cafe and try the tacos everyone's raving about...

Pros: Burger, Sweet potato fries

Tacos are the bomb-diggity - Edit

Go here and get the tacos. Get them with the side of sweet potato fries. The tacos are not overloaded with seitan but they are a good size. They're $10 plus an upcharge for the fries but they're worth it. The black bean burger and the vegan noodles are other options though I didn't get either. The tacos were really good. Every vegan person I talked to in this area of the world recommended it and they were spot on. The beers are on the hoppier, darker side. The hefe was great, definitely recommend getting that beer.

Pros: Vegan tacos are legit, Sweet potato fries are really good, Decent sized portions

Cons: Not a lot of options, Not overly familiar with vegan

good food great service - Edit

After hiking for hours in the rain the cozy booth and warm brick walls were appreciated. Our waiter was knowledgeable about vegan food and very friendly. He thankfully warned us not to order the onion rings or fries. He did confirm the tacos were vegan.
My husband had the black bean burger. He said it was good.
My daughter and I liked the seitan tacos. They came with a side of kettle chips.
My son also liked his cheese pizza. Overall all we agreed this restaurant was a 3.5 /5.

While in the area be sure to hike the gorge trail in Watkins glen state park. It had 19 waterfalls, 832 stairs and is just gorgeous.

Pros: wonderful service

Cons: serves meat

Decent veggie burger, great sweet potato fries - Edit

I agree with the other reviews- the veggie burger was somewhat bland on its own; however, I asked to add avocado and roasted red peppers which made it more flavorful. The beer was okay, not great, but the sweet potato fries were delicious.

Friendly wait staff, decent prices. Wouldn't go back, though.

Pros: friendly staff, sweet potato fries

Cons: bland veggie burger, limited vegan options

not good - Edit

Went here since it was on the recommended list from the farm sanctuary and was not very happy. The waiting staff was very helpful and courteous, the only vegan item now on the menu is the burger, we had a party of three including a child so we were hoping to have three different meals and share, however, nothing on the kids menu was vegan, not even the spaghetti marinara (really?) so my husband and son both had to get the burger and they said it was bland at best. I had the penne, which was made vegan upon request--awful. I hate to say that but it was over cooked pasta and veggies in water(?) no salt no flavor nothing. The drinks were nice, though.

Pros: friendly staff, good drinks, good atmosphere

Cons: food was bland some was too bland to eat, expensive, next to no choice

okay, not great - Edit

I wanted to get the meatless bbq ribs, but they were out of them. Someone at another table commented that he doesn't believe they actually ever have them since he's tried to order them several times. So I ordered the corn and red pepper cakes. They were ok but way overpriced ($16). My wife got the eggplant panini--again, just OK.

On the plus side, the beer that they brew on site is very good. And the waitress was very nice and attentive.

Pros: Good beer, nice waitstaff

Cons: food not that great

hit or miss - Edit

We stopped here on a long road trip, and the first time was awesome. Great friendly service and perfect food. They were out of a lot (including the ribs which was what we were most looking forward too :-( ), but the waitress was friendly and gave great suggestions to what else we might like. We liked it so much we stopped in on the way back. It couldn't have been more different. Coffee was cold and dish was not even edible. The first time dish had wonderful huge veggies and flaverful light sauce, second time there was just noodles with just a few slivers of onions seemingly dumped in soy sauce. We couldn't even find the waitress for the first 15 minutes (maybe more) of the meal, so the folks we were eating with finished their dish before we could even bring up the problem. I was so dissapointed! Not sure I would be willing to risk it again at the prices.

If you are watching your budget keep in mind drinks and sides can be quite costly and can easily add up as their prices aren't on the menue.

Pros: can have great food, great atmosphere, some friendly staff

Cons: inconsistent, pricey drinks and sides, out of items

Great Pub Fare - Edit

My husband and I took a long week-end in the area to stay at a B&B and see the sights. We saw some good reviews on the Crooked Rooster Pub and chose to eat there for dinner.

The pub is really adorable on the main drag of Watkins Glen. The service was very friendly and helpful. I asked the waitress to double check with the cook about something and she was very polite and accomodating. The Vegetarian part of the menu had several choices and all looked very good. We chose the "rib" sandwich and it was delish! Also, I can't say enough about how tasty the beer was! Really a great spot to stop and have a vegetarian pub experience!

I would go back.

Pros: Friendly, Variety

Vegan Ribs - Edit

A pub with very good (made on the premises) beer that also happens to serve a limited amount of vegan food. Due to the proximity of Farm Sanctuary, the menu includes vegan ribs and veggie burgers.

Return to Watkins Glen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Wildflower Cafe and Crooked Rooster Brewpub closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1662 times since Aug 2007.