CLOSED: The Wholesome Cupboard

• Health-food-store Health Store

219-476-0471

201-9 Morthland Dr, Valparaiso, Indiana, USA, 46383

Specialty food market. Stocks some organic, vegan/vegetarian, and gluten free items. Confirmed closed, Dec 2017.

First Review by aapony2cpa@yahoo.com

Glad to have had a chance to attend many of the vegan cooking classes. Sad to see this store closing down. - Edit

Store closing down soon. Many vegan items were available.

Wonderfully Surprised! - Edit

I've driven by this store a hundred times and never stopped in because the sign out front usually says "grass-fed beef" or advertises some other non-vegan item that pisses me off. I've never seen them advertise vegan goods so I assumed they did not have them. I'm so glad I saw this place listed on HappyCow and popped in!

The best fresh produce! Organic fruits and veggies. Top quality and freshness. I wish they had more bread offered from but what they have out is fresh.

They have their selection mastered in my opinion. It's a small store, but they carry the best brands -some that are very hard to find and some I've never heard of but was so happy to discover! Lots of locally made products.

They get 4 stars instead of 5 for failing to advertise properly. Screw grass-fed beef. Grow a pair and advertise that you carry ethical, vegan brands. Even a sign like "many vegan items" would have brought me in the door sooner. This will now be the main place I shop. It's that good.

Specialty market for vegans, vegetarians, foodies and people with dietary restrictions - Edit

Curiosity got the best of me after passing this place many times. The sign showed local honey but I still wasn’t sure what I would find inside. I'm so glad I visited. My expectations of what I would find inside and what I found were not in sync at all, even after viewing the website. I had been traveling 20 + minutes to Whole Foods to find my favorite Alo Allure drink at what I thought was the best price, but I discovered that Wholesome Cupboard had it for much less. So my first impression was great. It got better. I became more excited as I saw international food items, such as ghee, dirty chai mix (chai with expresso), chana masala mix, jack fruit, imported chocolate, organic cookies, sticky rice and much more. Organic and gluten free options are varied as well as food to accommodate other dietary restrictions. I quickly snapped photos of Daiya vegan boxed cheezy macaroni and salad dressings to send to my mostly vegan daughter - things that would greatly reduce her cooking time in the kitchen, so she can spent more time studying for classes, and less time making vegan mac and cheese from scratch. Ancient grains, including freekah, a grain that was new to me, are sold. The pièce de résistance was when I saw beautiful, fresh, whole dragonfruit for the first time in the refrigerator section. This place was definitely worth the visit. I will continue go for myself, but I now know where to go if I am looking for gift baskets items for vegans, people with dietary restrictions, or foodies who love trying different foods.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-17

Pros: Diverse food selections for varied food needs, International Food, Savory and Sweet foods

Cons: Need to find the entrance for car on one side

Return to Valparaiso Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Wholesome Cupboard closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.