The Whole Enchilada

• Veg-friendly
Contact 831-633-3038

Hwy 1 at Moss Landing Rd, Moss Landing, California, USA, 95039

Serves meat, vegan options available. Colorful Mexican style decor. Menu includes a few lacto-vegetarian dishes. Mar 2014 reported that beans could be cooked in lard, and rice sometimes with chicken stock. Better to call ahead to check before you go.

Category: Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by larryabailey

The vegetarian menu is not so. Beware :( - Edit

I am not from this area (born here but moved away - came here to visit family). After reading the great reviews on here I was excited to come to The Whole Enchilada, especially cause I love artichokes and Mexican food. I convinced my aunt to drive us here if I bought her lunch, cause it was a bit further than other options for lunch.
The place is very pretty, it looks like a shack by the docks with lots of cool décor. Inside it's spacious and very nice. I did notice there's signs everywhere with lots of rules. "Please watch your children." "Restrooms absolutely for customers only no exceptions." On the menu: "No splitting checks!" in caps. "No substitutions please". And on the bill, they show you what tip they want you to leave. Lol, all that is really fine. I have OCD myself so I can sympathize.
However I was extremely disappointed with my severe lack of options for food. They do have a section marked "vegetarian options", however, they are NOT even vegetarian! I always double check. I asked the waiter if the refried beans had lard. He said yes. There is no other option for beans. I asked him if the rice is made with chicken stock (very common with Spanish rice), he said no, instead with tomato juice. I said ok, and I figured I'd be able to figure something out, just without cheese or sour cream or beans. A minute later he returned and said "I'm sorry, but the rice we have prepared today DOES have chicken stock." Uhh, ok. So their recipe varies? Or was he just incorrect the first time? I don't know. But at that point, my option for Mexican food as a vegan had dwindled to a tortilla with lettuce and tomato. They have no other vegetables really, except for their artichokes, luckily. I was able to get a steamed artichoke and dip the leaves in salsa. And I really scoured that menu. But in the end, that was my only option. So just be aware please. Their beans have lard, and their rice (sometimes? Always? I don't know) has chicken stock. Even though both things are included in the dishes on their "vegetarian" menu. I plan to call management and discuss this with them. I'm not angry, It's just dishonest, whether they realize it or not. So I hope they can fix it so that they can provide a better experience for veggie customers.

Pros: pretty decor, lots of seating, apparently the omni food is good

Cons: not vegan friendly, waitstaff was not very friendly about it, "veggetarian" menu is not so

Must love artichokes. - Edit

I'm not sure why, but I thought this would be a taqueria. It ended up being an enormous sit-down restaurant. The ambiance is very nice and the tables are spaced sufficiently apart so that you're not on top of your neighbor.

I had my usual burrito vegetariano, sin queso, sin crema. It was tasty. The inclusion of artichoke hearts kept it from being too boring. Margaritas...not the best I've ever had, but decent. There seem to be only two items that could be made vegan without a lot of modification, the burrito and the tostada. I wished they had some kind of happy hour deal, considering how early we were eating. Service could be described as no-nonsense. Prices seem comparable to other restaurants in the area.

Great Food in a Colorful Environment - Edit

The Whole Enchilada is a delightful, colorful, and fun Mexican restaurant in the heart of the artichoke capitol of the world. Although the vegetarian menu is limited, the food is fantastic. I ordered the "Castroville Tostada" without the sour cream and it tasted great. The Tostada was very rich in flavor; in fact the best vegan, gluten-free tostada I have ever eaten. When I asked my partner about his Veggie Burrito, he couldn't stop eating, but mumbled "this is really, really good"! All in all, the friendly, helpful and attentive staff along with the vibrant interior design allowed us to have a wonderful lunch.

Pros: Great Food, Attentive Staff, Location

Cons: On a busy highway

Return to Moss Landing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Whole Enchilada closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1015 times since Nov 2009.