The Whole Earth

Contact 053-282463

88 Sri Don Chai Rd, Hayya (at Changklan Rd Nightmarket), Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50100

Serves meat, vegan options available. A 20+ year old traditional Thai house where you could dine on the veranda overlooking a large garden. Menu in English and Thai. Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by pradipd

Above the cut - Edit

Cool setting, good vegan selection and the food quality is definitely more refined than what you get at the average vegetarian restaurant around here.

We have been here for dinner twice and have not been disappointed. I especially recommend trying the more exotic sounding Thai stir fries.

You have to keep in mind that the tax is added later so all prices are abou 15% more than written on the menu. This is clearly stated however, not some mystery charge out of nowhere. This is quite normal practice in the more upmarket places in Thailand.
It's certainly more pricey than most places we've been to in Chiang Mai but really still really cheap for what it is if converted to dollars.
Definitely the place to go if you want a nice restaurant experience after all the buffets and street vendors.

Pros: Good quality food, interesting and fresh. Not your

Cons: All dishes are prices the same, including entrees,

Very good - Edit

This place has an amazing location they have a really nice and decorative garden and the restaurant is very nice looking ! You have to take off your shoes before going up the stairs which I really like :) the food is okay but not the best but definitely worth a try !

great location, very pricey - Edit

Just ate their the first time, the building and the garden is gorgeous, the food nice but nothing special and VERY expensive. As a long term vegetarian I won't be returning as I don't feel comfortable eating from a kitchen that serves meat.

Pros: location

Cons: price , meat dishes on the menu

Very expensive, but always good food - Edit

Lovely location, off-street parking, friendly staff, good service. GREAT food, but very expensive prices compared to other places in town - and then tax and service charge is also added on at the end.
We only go here on special occasions as it's so expensive.
The Indian dishes are generally a good portion - the naan bread portions are very small for the price.
Very nice ambience - quiet, clean. Indoor or outdoor seating - all upstairs inside aircon room, or outside on balcony.
Take shoes off at the entrance.......the staff remembered our shoes and had them ready for us at the end which was a nice surprise.

Pros: Nice ambience, Clean, Great food

Cons: Expensive, Expensive, Expensive

Unexpectedly pricey - Edit

While the food here is good, the ambiance is pleasant, and the service is generally above average, I was very unhappy when I saw the bill. I ordered a late evening snack for two - one curry to share and one soda water. They spooned rice onto our two plates that I didn't know we were being charged for. That and the soda water nearly doubled the price of our meal. All the high priced extras felt very sneaky - watch your wallet.

Pros: Location near the night bazaar, Tasty Indian curry, Atmospheric with good service

Cons: Pricey food, Exorbitant extras like rice and water

Best Pad Thai in Thailand - Edit

I was in Chiang Mai for just over a week and I went to The Whole Earth twice. I had the Pad Thai and it was the best Pad Thai I've ever had. The location was also lovely, a lot of greenery and wonderful service.

Pros: Pad Thai, Service, Setting

Cons: A little pricier than some places

Mixed Salad! - Edit

I went there twice. The food was very good the first time, but was a trifle disappointing the second time. The vegetarian menu is quite extensive between the Indian and Thai choices. I did not try the Indian dishes. The ambience and the service are very good. Location isn perfect. It is on the expensive side, and would almost qualify as fine dining.

Pros: Ambience, Service, Location

Cons: Inconsistency, Value

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Whole Earth closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1545 times since Aug 2007.