CLOSED: The Veggie Grille

• Veg-friendly

Contact 609-823-5500

500 Albany Ave, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA, 08401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Features traditional pizza and Italian food as well as extensive vegan and vegetarian offering, which include vegan pizza, burger, subs, wraps, main entrees, and salads. Uses vegan Daiya cheese, seitan, and soy faux meats. Reported closed to HappyCow, Oct 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Italian, Organic, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by XiomaraLara

THEY FED ME MEAT. - Edit

I would be very wary and VERY careful of this place if you choose to go.

First of all, I have to say that their menu is clearly marked, so if you're vegan, that is a plus. However, their dishes are WAAAAY overpriced. I wanted to order the buffalo wings, but they were out. They offered to make chicken nuggets in the buffalo wing style. What I got was 6 nuggets that appeared to be MorningStar (which is NOT vegan) for $10!!!!

I tried to use a coupon that was on their leaflets (see picture), but the guy at the counter wouldn't let me, even though there was nothing on the coupon that limited use to the "next time" like he said.

My partner ordered the large meatball sub with daiya cheese. It was pretty large, but it was $18 for what was mostly bread. I ordered the vegan chicken cacciatore, because I figured, where do you ever see that? When I was ordering, the guy confirmed that I wanted vegan. When the food came out, I was looking at the salsa and what appeared to be sour cream. I figured that the guy confirmed that I wanted vegan, so it was ok. I tasted a teensy bit but still couldn't be sure, so I asked if the sour cream was made from dairy. The guy at the counter said it was and he took it back and apologized. I figured, it's not an all vegan place, so maybe they forgot about the sour cream on the side. A slight oversight. Just as I took a bite of the sandwich, the guy came running over and took my plate away. He said he just wanted to check something. After ten minutes or so, he came back with a completely new dish that tasted totally different. If it wasn't bad enough that I tasted the sour cream and ate the cheese in the sandwich, after years of not eating meat, I ate real chicken at the Veggie Grille. I was pretty upset to say the least.

When we paid, we brought up the coupon again and the counter guy relented and gave it to us, probably because he fed me meat and felt badly. Ugh!

There is a new juice bar attached to the restaurant that's owned separately, if you're interested in that. The juice bar people use special water and make the juice right in front of you. They're very friendly.

Pros: Vegan options in a not-so-vegan area

Cons: They fed me meat, Counterservice, Too expensive

best kept secret in AC - Edit

you might not think that a pizza place could have good vegan options but this place is legit! lots of options and everything is very tasty!

Pros: large variety, unique

Cons: location

Great find - Edit

My husband and I went to the veggie grille and were super pleased. We ordered a vegan buffalo chicken quesadilla with an organic salad & stuffed veggie sandwich with slept pocket. The food was absolutely fantastic, great find we will be ordering or grabbing a bit whenever we're in the area. I posted some pictures

Great service didn't like my food - Edit

I got the Vegan turnover with meatballs. I will say the service was good and the price was good for the size. I paid 10.65 for that and a water. However, I did not like the Daiya cheese and thought it was probably the worst Vegan meal I have ever eaten. With that said, I hadn't eaten anything all day and ate the whole thing at once.

Pros: good service, accomodating

Cons: Need better option than Daiya cheese., Location.

Great staff. - Edit

Super friendly staff. Very accommodating. Pizza was just ok. A bit dry. I tried several different ones plus a calzone and wings. My friend had non-vegan pizza and also said it was just ok. But it is so refreshing to FINALLY have something to eat in Atlantic City. I'm a regular visitor to AC and I get so tired of bringing food my food from home.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 11, 2013

Update: Recently I tried the spaghetti and meatballs which were great! And I love how consistently friendly they are! YAY!

Pros: Friendly staff. , Delivered to my hotel.

Cons: Pizza a bit dry.

Great place to stop on the way to AC - Edit

My husband and I have stopped by here twice and we both loved the food and plan on visiting every time we go to Atlantic City. The turnovers are amazing (I loved the veggie turnover and the hubby loved the 'meat' turnover) and the salads use very fresh organic veggies. Very large vegetarian and vegan selection. My husband just recently went vegan and this type of food is what he missed most and its just really well done with quality ingredients. The "meatball parm" was also super delicious. The only thing I wasn't impressed with is the "chicken" nuggets. They were just ok. The place is clean and the service is great. We highly recommend this place!

Pros: Great food, friendly staff, clean

Best Vegan Food at the Shore!!! - Edit

I am from Philadelphia and having been going to the Jersey Shore since childhood. I've been a vegetarian for 25 years and a vegan for the last two.

This past Saturday I had the BEST vegan/vegetarian meal I have ever had at the beach at Veggie Pizza (aka, The Veggie Grille). I ordered the Vegan Pizza Turnover (basically a veggie stromboli made with grilled red peppers, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, and daiya cheese) with the addition of vegan meatballs and a spelt crust. Marinara on the side. It was to-die-for! Can not express strongly enough how delicious it was! Even my carnivorous husband loved it.

If you are a vegetarian/vegan, or even if you're not, and visiting the Jersey Shore, you must go! I can not wait to go back and try everything on the menu!

Pros: Food ready on time, Staff friendly, Clean

Savoir in Alantic City! - Edit

Atlantic City has awful food for vegans. Except for veggie grill. They do serve meat, but have a huge vegetarian menu, with tons of vegan options. I ate here twice. The servers are super nice and willing to make substitutions so you can get exactly what you want. Warning: everything has daiya on it...it's not really healthy food. Not within walking distance from the casinos, but is only a 10 minute drive.

Pros: huge vegan menu, nice staff

Cons: location, serves meat

Applause extended! - Edit

Vegan food in Atlantic City is hard to find...luckily I scoped the reviews on Happy Cow! Pleasant atmosphere, friendly service, reasonable prices and well prepared-quality Vegan selections. Have sampled several sandwiches and all are excellent. Gonna go back for pizza.

Pros: Price, selection, Service

It was RAWesome - Edit

Just recently my boyfriend and I took a trip to Atlantic City (nothing out of the ordinary) but every time we go we have a very hard time trying to find food. Especially for him (since he is a Raw Vegan.) But I googled and found this place online just by chance. We went straight to the restaurant and opened up its wide variety menu. It was great! They had no problem preparing our raw dishes, although we did have to explain what raw vegetables meant. We loved it so much we went back the following day for lunch. This time we spoke to the manager just to find out more information and he told us the owner is actually a nutritionist! We loved it, they also mentioned that they will be putting in a JUICE BAR in June! How awesome? They have so many options for Vegans let alone vegetarians! If you are ever in the area we absolutely recommend stopping by this place! It is definitely under the radar. But do stop in for their Vegan Veggie Spinach Wrap and All organic Salads! They use all organic veggies which made it even more amazing! Kudos Veggie Grill aka Veggie Pizza! (Not sure how their SPELT crust vegan pizza tastes but I would def. love to try!)

Pros: Organic, Vegan Menu, Raw Vegan accommodations

Cons: Should get filtered water

Great little gem! - Edit

Very clean and comfortable restaurant. Staff was quick, polite and welcoming. Tried the vegan sausage pizza and soy "chicken" parm which were both very good. Nice light crust on the pizza. Basically everything on the menu they have for omnivores they can make for vegans. So perfect. Definitely going back for more.

Pros: Nice staff, Big yummy menu, Comfortable

THE BEST PLACE EVER! - Edit

Being a vegan its difficult to find tasty food on the road. Last week I went to Atlantic City for the weekend. I was only able to find about three vegan friendly restaurants. Veggie Grille was the first stop I made and the last stop. The food was amazing. I had the veggie sub and then later the meatball turnover. OMG amazing. All I kept saying was that they need to have a place like this in Northern Jersey. If they did I would be there everyday. This is a MUST GO PLACE TO EAT. the environment was very very clean and the staff was very friendly. I recommend this place to all vegans! GREAT JOB VEGGIE GRILLE! I will make a stop every time I go.

Pros: FOOD , Choices, Clean

Cons: Too far for me

Return to Atlantic City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Veggie Grille closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9359 times since Aug 2011.