The Veggie Grill - University Village

Contact 206-523-1961

2681 NE University Village St, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98105

Casual all-vegan cafe chain originating from Southern California. Offers a variety of veggie burgers and sandwiches, plus salads, sweet potato fries, main plates, kids menu, and desserts. Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Miso Vegan

go-to - Edit

One of my top favorite restaurants and my to-do for nearly every meal when I eat out. Food is sometimes pricey but if you're a UW student they give great discounts during the school year. Favorite dishes are the kale Caesar (I always get this in the pick a pair with their Mac and cheese), Thai and Korean tacos, Seoul bowl, and the BTLA. Fake meat is okay, but they have plenty of dishes with tofu or just plain veggies for those who don't like it.

Pros: All vegan, Plenty of options, Good discounts

Cons: Somewhat pricey

terrible staff - Edit

The food is great but the cashier staff are very rude. Not a hello or how are you or anything I've never seen them smile unless they are talking to each other. Not very welcoming. Also pricey.

Pros: good food, clean, great area

Cons: staff isn't friendly , pricey

Overrated - Edit

I've been to Veggie Grill a dozen times and, while every location I've been to is staffed by really great, helpful people, the food is just not good. The meats taste like they're designed to imitate those crappy burgers from public school cafeterias, for instance. There are so many amazing vegan meats and cheeses that I can't justify settling for what Veggie Grill puts out. Wayward does it all way better, IMO.

Pros: Inexpensive , Omnivores will happily eat there

Cons: Not yummy

Good! - Edit

We went to this Veggie Grill last weekend. Apart from the lack of parking and huge crowd of people surround it was very good. I got the yummy tea of course - I mixed three together and we shared the great asparagus soup. For the main course we both loved the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin' burger w/ sweet potato fries -- so good and VERY filling! I really liked this location, lots of space and friendly service.

Pros: Big Menu, Ice Tea!!!, atmosphere

It was ok - Edit

Went to this place on a Friday night around 7pm.... the parking lot is huge but it was packed. After we finally found parking a block away, we got in there and the restaurant was pretty busy too. I felt like the menu was pretty small compared to what I was expecting. Most of it was salads. But there are some burgers and entrées, and my fiancé and I were able to find something we wanted to try. I got a fried "chiggen" patty with mashed potatoes+cauliflower and mushroom gravy, and he got a black bean burger and fries. I really liked my mashed potatoes and gravy, it was very good. The fried "chiggen" however was not good at all. I don't know if they make it themselves or if they have a brand of fake meat they use, but it was only tolerable for the first few bites. I've had much better fake meat products even just store bought frozen. My fiancé enjoyed his French fries a lot, and he said that his black bean burger was okay. I tried a bite, and I think the problem was that it was too dry.
Overall, everything was okay. If we are in the area and starving with no other options we might stop through again.

I like the idea they are going for here of a vegan diner-type chain restaurant, but I think if they are really going to have success in expanding on a bigger level, The Veggie Grill needs to make their menu have more options, including many more Omni-friendly options (still all vegan, but things that Omnis would like - they are actually put off more by fake meats and cheeses for example. Most don't tend to like them).

Great Vegan Fast Food - Edit

I've come to this location of Veggie Grill about 6 or more times often with friends or out of town guests.

I've seen the complaints about the prices but I don't agree. It has a clean, modern setting. They use high quality ingredients. The food is very good. The service is amazing. After paying for our order at the counter, it takes usually less than 10 minutes for the food to come to the table.

I would say that they could add to their drink selection - you can't order coffee or tea. They could upgrade their dessert offerings but the carrot cake is a winner - best cream cheese frosting ever. But these are minor issues. I'm happy to recommend Veggie Grill at U Village or at South Lake Union.

Pros: Extensive menu, 100% vegan, Super fast service

Cons: Limited drink selection, Parking in busy mall

Good standby and great location - Edit

Would love to give a higher rating since it is an all vegan restaurant but the truth is it was not great this time. The other Seattle downtown location was better.
Maybe it's because it was a rush hour Saturday lunch but the food did not arrive at our table piping hot.
The food was still prepared fast. The table had not been cleaned thoroughly.
We got the crab cake burger and the Bali Bliss burger. Both were good, the bread would have been better slightly toasted. The place was crowded with shoppers so probably not many of them vegan, and many that's why there is no special effort on the food? Anyway, the location is great and as this is a new location, maybe they are experiencing some growing pains. We will still go back if we ever go back to that mall.

Pros: All vegan & tons of choice, Fast food, Great location

Cons: Food not hot enough

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Veggie Grill - University Village closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3311 times since Oct 2012.