The Veggie Grill - University Center

949-509-0003

4213 Campus Dr (at besides Trader Joe's), Irvine, California, USA, 92612

Vegan fast food cafe chain offering a variety of veggie burgers and sandwiches, hot plates, plus salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. Large space. This is their flagship location. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by ldd57

Reliable vegan option - Edit

The Veggie Grill seems to be maintaining quality as they expand to new locations. This branch was like any other we've visited: efficient and tasty. Since it is open later than many other veg places, it's a reliable option for later meals.

There's plenty of parking in the lot, though be aware that many of the parking spots have a 45-minute limit.

Awesome stuffs! - Edit

Great chain resistant, nice location with plenty of parking (and next to a trader Joe's!). So many good choices, favorite is btla wrap and mac and cheese. Definitely go here!

Pros: all vegan, healthy and not so healthy choices, fre

Cons: none

Flavorful! - Edit

I love Veggie Grill a little TOO much. The flavors are vibrant, the menu is varied and they often add new items to keep things interesting. My go-to meal for years was the All-Hail Kale salad with Blackened Chik'n -but it was recently replaced by the Golden Beet Salad - a complete flavor explosion - kale, Kite Hill Ricotta, almonds, orange. Another great salad is the Banh Mi. You won't believe your mouth! My only complaint is parking at the UC Irvine location which is always congested, and Santa Monica on Wilshire which has very few parking spaces.
Updated from previous review on Friday February 05, 2016

Pros: Outstanding flavor , Variety, Excellent portion size

Cons: some dishes are very high in fat, parking is a nightmare

Needs Options for People who don't eat Oil or sugar!! - Edit

Please make more menus items that don't have refined oil or sugar in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Location - Edit

Always clean, good service.
Our favorite is the buffalo burger with coleslaw or buffalo salad (extra ranch)..sooo much buffalo! Or the fried chicken plate with mashed potatoes and coleslaw. Kids quesedillas are good with carrot cake and fries regular are excellent and great price. Includes a drink.
Don't forget to do the app for free food (alot)!

Pros: Yummm, Buffalo! , Clean

Cons: Summer Menu, Grilled Peaches?, Mexican Stuff

Veggie Grill - Edit

I love coming to the Veggie Grill. Their mindful mashup is delicious and has lots of protein as well! Recommend Papa's Portobello as well!

Disappointed and underwhelmed - Edit

After reading all the reviews on here about how great Veggie Grill was, I was excited to give it a try.

I was disappointed with my meal and even went back a second time to give it another shot and was still underwhelmed.

Maybe it was my order (both times?) but to me, it was so underwhelming. The first time I got the VG cheeseburger, el dorado style. Although the jalapenos added a nice kick, it couldn't mask the fact that the burger was just a Boca burger. If I wanted a Boca burger covered in daiya cheese, I'd stay home and make it myself.

I was also disappointed at the red cabbage slaw that came with it. It was incredibly bland, as was the chili that I tried the second time.

All in all, I really wanted to like Veggie Grill. But I just couldn't, when I'm paying $14 for a poorly seasoned Boca burger. If I want a delicious, fast-casual vegan meal, then in my mind, the only place I'll go to Native Foods.

Pros: Convenient , nice atmosphere

Cons: Bland boca burger patties, poor value

My Favorite Veggie Grill - Edit

The UCI location is my favorite of all the Veggie Grills. I love coming here. My favorites are the Santa Fe Crispy Chicken, the macaroni and cheese, and the crispy chicken plate with mashed potatoes and gravy. You HAVE to get the pudding parfait when you go...with walnuts!

Pros: Delicious, Great selection

Impressive & Tasty - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow when it first opened, and here's my The Veggie Grill review.

WOW was my impression upon seeing this veggie cafe. It's located just in the UC Irvine area. There is a outdoor patio with lovely bamboo, and the inside is spacious with clean lines and many small tables for seating. We ordered our food at the counter and the friendly waitress (who looked liked a student from the university) brought the food to our table.

The menu is concise with a few appetizers and salads, 2 soups, desserts, and around 9 specialty sandwiches/veggie burgers. My friend and I shared a sweet heart potato fries with a yummy dressing, a bali bliss tempeh burger, and a sanfe fe chickn sandwich, and a carrot cake. The handholds each served with a side of cold slaw. Everything was DELICIOUS.

The food at Veggie Grill reminded me of Native Foods restaurant. There are similarities as well differences. Both are good. I am happy for more veggie food places and look forward to them opening more cafes.

Would like to return when in the area. Recommended for anyone visiting the UC Irvine area.

Pros: all vegan, like fast food but better, good prices

The Veggie Grill - Edit

We stayed in Dana Point for a few days and I had a taste for Veggie Grill, so we drove out here. Overall Veggie Grill is pretty great, I've never had a bad meal at any location.

During this visit I ordered the American Stack with a veggie patty and subbed mac and cheese for my side, everything was really good. My bf got a chicken sandwich with cauliflower mashed potatoes, also very good. I highly recommend VG.

Pretty Good - Edit

First time having any of their burgers is quite delicious, but the second time not so magical. Same with their sweet potato fries - first time having, so dang good / subsequent times, you notice how over-rich they are. But the thing that really takes the cake is their quinoa-kale salad! I don't really order salads much from restaurants, but they do an excellent job on this one! And I must say, the company is very generous with their promotions. I got a free meal for my birthday, and they provided tons of free food one day for my work! So, although they are a growing chain and charge very heftily for their dishes, they do have a generous side. Plus, I'm happy to see a vegetarian business become so successful and expansive.

Pros: Quinoa-Kale salad, Promotions

Cons: High Price

Excellent Filling Food!!! - Edit

Veggie Grill is some of the best Vegan food I've ever had. Every time I go I try something new on the menu and I haven't been disappointed yet. I'm amazed that their portions look small yet they fill you up entirely too much. They even have delicious Fat Tire beer!

I take my non vegan friends with me when I go and I don't let them know its a vegan place until afterwards and they are amazed everytime. The first time I tried the Chicken Burger I really questioned if it was a Vegan restaurant because it had the texture of Chicken.

I recommend this place to everyone.

Pros: good service, excellent food, lots of menu options

Cons: only in Irvine! , When is the fullerton location coming?!

Vegan Fast Food - Edit

The food here is the most delicious fast food you've ever had, vegan or not. It's a little bit richer and more comfort-food-like than Native Foods, which is great because I have two great places to choose from depending on my mood. The Mac and Cheese is so rich and delicious as are the nachos. The first time I had the V-burger I panicked because I thought it was real meat, haha. Other fav's include the Santa Fe, and The Stack, and a new item-the Caesar Wrap. I love that they include avocado on everything without an extra charge. Also, you can get either coleslaw or chili as a free side to your dish. And their chipotle sauce (which comes on many different items), is so freakin' good. The service has been fast and friendly every single time I've been there. Also, even though one location is at the Spectrum, it is along the perimeter right next to Barnes and Noble, so it's very easy to get to. They even offer curb-side pickup if you so desire.

Pros: Hearty Fare, Everything under $10, So Good

Cons: None, this place is great!

Really Good Food - Edit

I was tod about this place by someone and decided to try it. Wow, I was impressed by the food. You have to try the Sweet Potato Fries. I have been there sevaral times and had many of their burgers and have not been disappointed yet.

Pros: Great flavour, Healthier, Sweet Potato Fries

Cons: Pricey

Excellent Fast Food - Edit

Eating at the Veggie Grill is great. The food is so tasty and is prepared very fast. The employees are amazing in how helpful and courteous they are. The restaurant is clean, modern, and bright. I only wish there were more Veggie Grills.

Pros: delicious food, wonderful staff, inexpensive

Very Good - Edit

This restaurant is great. I love their fries, All Hail Kale Salad, and Papa's Portobella Mushroom Burger. Sometimes, it's so satisfying to get Vegan "fast" food. The workers are always extremely helpful and nice.

It can be really difficult in the parking lot and a bit confusing to find. I wish the fries came standard with the sandwiches but they're usually an adder.

Pros: Fries!, Great Staff

Cons: A little pricey

Food For REAL! - Edit

First off, the ambiance is wonderfull, the setting is relaxed, and the staff is friendly. I orderered the Grillin' Chickin', Bean Me Up Chili, and a side of Sweatheart Fries, and I can honestly say that it has been the best meal I have EVER had when eating out, both in my vegan times and in my nonveg times. The food is great, the prices are reasonable, and I would recommed this place to anyone looking for some REAL good food.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Wee Bit Pricy, No Inland Empire Locations ;)

OMG SO GOOD - Edit

This place is trouble. It is SO GOOD you will want to come here all the time. It's by far my favorite place to get veg grub. Everything is good here. My favorite is the Santa Fe Chickeny sandwich with sweet potato fries. Or the stack. Or the bbq chipotle. Oh, I can't decide! Try them all. The drinks are awesome, too. The carrot cake is AMAZING. The cookies suck. That's the only bad thing I can think of to say about the place. Oh, and the parking can be a bear sometimes. I LOVE YOU, VEGGIE GRILL! Please come to the Inland Empire (somewhere close to Riverside)!

sallyseven 12 Nov 2009 - I completely agree. I went to UCR and having a restaurant like this would have been amazing.

Return to Irvine Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Veggie Grill - University Center closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.