The Veggie Grill - Westgate

Contact 408-374-4152

1692 Saratoga Ave Ste 94, San Jose, California, USA, 95129

Casual vegan cafe chain originating from Southern California, this one opened spring-2015 on the premises of the Westgate Shopping Center next to the mall. Offers a variety of veggie burgers and sandwiches, hot plates, salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by macmantrl

Quality Down... - Edit

Have been a faithful fan of this chain for the last five years - eating mostly out of the Santana Row location, but switched to the Westgate one since it is more convenient for parking. Ate here last night after a gap of more than 6 months and was shocked at how the quality of some of the menu items had deteriorated- the crispy cauliflower that used to be a delicious golden bite had transformed into a soggy brown underfried but smoky disaster (even after the staff had replaced it), and the grilled cheese tasted old and rancid. Some of the items continue to be standouts - the buffalo chicken, the recent Masala Bowl were excellent. Please fix what is broken to retain a loyal customer.

delicious for all (meat eaters included!!) - Edit

I didn't know about this chain and that their menu is all plant based until using this app. I'm super excited to go back and try more items from the menu as my visit was superb!

They have a really great selection- from salads to wraps to faux chicken dishes. We ordered 4 meals and a chocolate chip cookie and we love them all!

This is a great choice if you're looking for a place to satisfy meat eaters as well. My brother in law even thought his sandwich was truly chicken (and he gives rave reviews).

Pros: varied menu, friendly staff, delicious

Cons: fresh juices all have added sugar

Yummy Vegan joint! - Edit

My husband and I ate here this past Sunday, I was really impressed by the customer service and the food was pretty awesome. I ordered the Chikn' strips and the grilled chikn' Burger, pretty cool how they we're able to do a mock of the chicken meat, very tasty vegan Burger. I didn't like the Buffalo Burger much it tasted to artificial for my taste. Over all, this will be one of my go to places for American food.

Pros: Great vegan options, the faux chicken is pretty am

Cons: a bit on the pricey range, now sure if their food

Good Quality and High Expectations - Edit

The Veggie Grill in San Jose, Westgate, is one of the newer (as of June 2015) locations of this national chain. Much like Native Foods and Loving Hut, there is a familiarity and level of quality that is expected and delivered from each location of Veggie Grill. This one does not disappoint. Service was friendly, food was made quickly, and flavors were very good. A few Veggie Grills suffer from inconsistent serving portions, but this one was very generous with the All Hail Kale that I ordered. The lightly grilled tempeh was perfectly done and went well with the well-seasoned salad. There was a little less quinoa than what I've come to expect in the salad, but that's not uncommon... I think I was spoiled at a few locations of Veggie Grill that gave a lot more quinoa. The summer menu item of Haricot Vert was good. The sauce was very well-balanced, and there wasn't too much of it. My one complaint would be that the green beans could have been trimmed a little better. There were a few green beans that were a bit rougher at the ends. Not inedible in any way, but attention to detail is important.

Pros: Veggie Grill Brand as expected, well-balanced flavors at a good value, very good customer service

Cons: Just opened and still working on details, Should standardize ingredient quantities

Vegan comfort food - Edit

Same, great vegan comfort food, as always. Veggie Grill never disappoints.
This location is pretty close to the one in Santana Row, so if you either don't want to deal with Santana Row or find this location more convenient (as it is for me) then this Veggie Grill is a great alternative. Same food as all other locations. This one is on the premises of the Westgate Mall (but not inside, a separate building) which makes it really convenient if you need to do some shopping and grab a bite to eat.

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Veggie Grill - Westgate closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.