The Veggie Grill - San Diego UTC

Contact 858-458-0031

4353 La Jolla Village Dr Unit H28 (at Westfield UTC - University Towne Centre), La Jolla, California, USA, 92112

Open Aug 2013 inside the Westfield UTC shopping plaza next to Macy's. Vegan fast food cafe chain restaurant offering a variety of original veggie burgers and sandwiches, hot plates, plus salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Silent8176

yummy and convenient - Edit

The food as veggie grill will be denied value by some dogmatic vegan purists but the reality is that the food is convenient, fast, and tasty. The buffalo wings are spicy and indistinguishable from the dead bird dish they aim to replace.

Mondo Nachos! - Edit

We love Veggie Grill! Get the nachos every time. They have an app, that apparently is getting updated, where you can earn points for previous purchases and get free food. We've gotten our share!!

Something for everyone here. Fast service, clean and spacious. Bonus, there is a playground located right out front, within view of several of the seating areas. Our kids love playing out there.

We stop by anytime we are near and even make special trips, which says a lot as we are far away (at least 45 mins).

Pros: Yummy Food, Fast Service, Playground out front

I am a regular here - Edit

Since Veggie Grill opened this location a few years ago I have been eating here once a week or more. I live fairly close and have a client very nearby as well. The location is in the University Town Center (UTC) mall on the south end near Macy's.

The food is fairly consistent. The service usually good, though this is a place where you order and pay first at the counter, then they bring it to your table. Prices are reasonable. The menu changes periodically so I suggest checking online before you go.

Pros: All vegan, Good for non-vegetarians

Cons: Parking, Few booths, other seats uncomfortable

Fast, Friendly, Friggin Delicious - Edit

My Mom and I had a very enjoyable meal here. All of the food was awesome. The mac'n'cheese was very good, but my mom says her favorite was the mini buffalo wrap. The facility was clean, but ironically opposite a Burger Lounge. The it was a hard to see the place from the street because it was facing away from it.
If you are in the area I would definitely recommend you go here!

Pros: amazing food, very clean, friendly staff

Cons: location

I love Veggie Grill - Edit

Veggie Grill is one of my favorite restaurants. Most of their dishes are American style but they have some more ethnic foods as well. I have tried many of their menu options and loved everything I've had. My favorite is the Santa Fe Crispy Chicken. Their fake meats are very tasty. Their sweet potato fries are possibly the best I've ever had.

Pros: Amazing vegan food, Big menu

Nice add. - Edit

I am not much of a mall person, but I was pleasantly surprised to eat at this place a couple of times. I don't eat mock food which they have plenty of, but they do have a handful of dishes without it. I enjoy both my plates plus a desert once and would return. The staff was really friendly and the place was very busy both times. Great to see. I'm glad it's here.

Delicious Vegan Comfort Food for Veg*ns and Omnis! - Edit

Veggie Grill. Veggie Grill. Wherefore art thou, Veggie Grill. Unfortunately, only on the west coast at this time. This was my first time at their La Jolla/ San Diego restaurant, which I visited 4 times over 4 days. Luckily for me, this Veggie Grill was literally across the street from my hotel.

BUFFALO WINGS:
Their buffalo sauce is amazing and the wings (reminiscent of boneless buffalo strips) are perfectly crunchy-coated. These are easily in my top 3 of best vegan buffalo wings in the USA.

CRISPY CHICKIN’ PLATE:
1 of my fav dishes here. A crispy "chicken" patty served with gravy, cauli-mashed potatoes, and their kale (not bitter tasting) salad. The dressing for the kale salad is delicious! I could eat the mashed cauliflower (tastes just like mashed potatoes) and the kale salad every day. SO good.

CRISPY CAULIFLOWER:
These are ok. The cauliflower is fried and served with an Asian-inspired sweet orange sauce. Personally, I prefer a buffalo-style flavor. However, my family loved this appetizer.

BUFFALO MINI:
Basically, they take a couple of their buffalo wings and stuff them in a tortilla along with cool lettuce and ranch. It is the perfect size for a snack or small lunch on the go. And it's really not that mini; it's a decent size. Delicious!

MEXI-MINI:
Oh, those secret spices are killer (that means really really good)! This wrap was so good that it had me licking the wrapper-paper whilst I drove down the highway.

I really love these minis because I can get one of each flavor without feeling guilty or over-eating.

SANTE FE CRISPY CHICKIN’:
It's the spicy chipotle mayo which makes this sandwich so awesomely tasty. I always get extra. Yum! It comes with a side and I chose their Yukon Gold Fries. Golden, fresh, crisp, and seasoned to perfection.

CARROT CAKE:
Unless you have a nut allergy, you MUST try this carrot cake. A-list cake with the most deliciously creamy vegan cream cheese icing. I ordered an entire cake (to go) for only $20.

VG CHEESEBURGER (no cheese for me):
It's just ok. There was another burger option at their Hollywood location (had a thousand island dressing) which I fancied much better. I wouldn't get this particular burger again.

MONDO NACHOS:
These were just ok as well. They were missing something… Maybe more taco protein?

Double-check your order. They messed up on a couple of my orders.

Located in the UTC shopping mall, near Macy's.

Veggie Grill has an AWESOME loyalty program. Sign up to earn free food!

Pros: delicious comfort food, lots of healthier/ lighter options, amazing carrot cake

Cons: messes up orders frequently

LOVE this chain - wish they were in Utah too! - Edit

My family and I fell in love with Veggie Grill during our vacation to the Carlsbad area. I was glad to find this location, which was open late, for dinner one night. My wife and I had nachos, asian salad, and fries, and the kids got kids meals with chicken fingers. Everyone loved the food. The chicken fingers are the best vegan chicken strips I've ever tasted. The cheese here is good on nachos, but too rich for the mac-n-cheese IMO. Strawberry lemonade is SO good. You've got to try this place.

TIP - We downloaded the smartphone app before going and received a coupon for a free meal!

Pros: REALLY good vegan food, Open late, Playground right outside this location

Take Out Forgotton - Edit

They forgot my take out order and I had to ask for it after seeing others who ordered after me received theirs...

Happened to my partner before so we're demanding improvement and credits as I enjoy this place & want to return.

Pros: Location, Salads, Price

Cons: Lateness, Forgot Takeout Order, Lineup Sucks

wish there was one in my town - Edit

I loved eating at this place on my trip to San Diego! Even my omnivore parents enjoyed it. I wish I had gotten to try more things there because I'm sure it's all delicious. And I really wish there was one in my town, it'd be my go to restaurant :)

love, love, love - Edit

I don't think there is anything left to say...this place is awesome! During my week in San Diego I ate here no less than 4 times. The staff are friendly and the food is great! Aside from the cookies, which I get all every Veggie Grill I go to, I've never tried their desserts until now. The carrot cake was moist an delicious! This place has a convenient location with plenty of parking at the mall. I will definitely return.

Pros: lots of parking, good food, good variety

Cons: n/a

This Place Made Hubby VEGAN for our Vaca. - Edit

So hubby is not vegan and I am. So is our youngest. Hubby was so impressed with whatever he ordered here, he has agreed to go vegan for the rest of the trip if we eat here. No joke!

Pros: Wonderful Food, Kids Menu With Recognizable Options

Contributions +43

glad I came!! - Edit

My God this place was so amazing!!! The food was delicious, I had fish tacos, onion rings and that chicken wrap! I want to try the Mac&cheese next! I love love the food here I'm just sad its pretty far from my home. It's located inside the Westfield la Jolla mall, friendly staff I can't wait to go back.

Contributions +195

Glad I Supported a Chain...woah - did I say that?? - Edit

I try and do my eating at Indy restaurants, but I had to try the Veggie Grill - because - well - it's all Vegan - and it is close to me in an area where there are very few walkable/bikeable Vegan (or even veg) places to eat. I was stoked. I ordered the 'All American Stack'(basically a vegan steak burger - yumm), and I'll tell you - it was a tough decision. There was a good half dozen items I wanted and another half dozen I would have been happy with. Rare for me to say. If you miss traditional American style comfort diner food - this place is for you. Steaks, Hotwings, Burgers - all Vegan. Mine was served with Onion Rings (so nice to get fried foods that in no way shared the oil with fish or chicken strips!).
My Steak was very good - moist and flavorful. No idea if it would fool a meat eater, but it made me very happy. My Sweetie had the Thai Chicken Salad - I stole a couple bites. Large, flavorful, vegan chicken, mandarin oranges, and some other delish stuff.
We both left happy and full. Didn't break the bank, and we both have our eye on a couple other items for when we go back. Service was typical friendly fast. Lots of folks but no trouble. I could see it being a madhouse in a school time lunch rush (in the UCSD University Town Center.
Good experience - good food - recommended - will definitely be going back as a regular.

Pros: Vegan - Comfort Food, Well Priced, Really Tasty

Cons: Chain Restaurant (a personal issue)

Return to La Jolla Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Veggie Grill - San Diego UTC closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5297 times since Aug 2013.