The Veggie Grill

Contact 650-559-1535

565 San Antonio Rd, Mountain View, California, USA, 94040

Casual all-vegan cafe chain originating from Southern California, this one opened spring 2014. Offers a variety of veggie burgers and sandwiches, main plates, plus salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Carioquinha17

Fast service, delicious burgers - Edit

I agree with the previous reviewer: there should be a veggie grill in every city :D
Don't miss if you're looking for delicious burgers and fast service.

Pros: Fast and fresh, Good prices, Plenty of seating. Lots of parking.

Let's get this vegan fast food everywhere! - Edit

I truly wish we had The Veggie Grill in every city. It was a 20-minute drive from home but well worth it. The chicken sandwich was just like the non-vegan version. I was not disappointed by their new veggie burger made of a quinoa-mushroom patty. I added avocado and it was just perfect - the best vegan burger I've ever had! Also, the buffalo wings were on point. The sauce was just right; however, the ranch dipping sauce was bland, if you ask me. I love that there are no sodas, but instead there are five fresh drinks to choose from, including strawberry lemonade (so sweet and tart!) and a ginger hibiscus drink (that I think I'm in love with). My boyfriend spent $20 on his wings, chicken sandwich, and fries. I spent $15 on my burger, fries, and soda, so it was a little bit more pricey than traditional fast food; however, I cannot wait to return to try more!! The vegan chocolate chip cookies sitting on the front counter look tempting. I will definitely be trying them next time!

Pros: Classic burger joint, Good parking, Plenty of seating

Cons: Just a little bit pricey for fast food

I can't believe it's vegan! - Edit

Everything here is vegan! Honestly, I would not have believed it if you served it to me elsewhere! The cheese tastes like real cheese. I dislike the fried smell inside the restaurant but otherwise love everything else!

Pros: Large menu and everything is vegan!

Cons: Fried smell

Happy every time - Edit

We eat at Veggie Grill in every city that there is one when we travel. From Portland to Long Beach and everywhere in between.

This was the smallest of them that we had been in, but the staff were very nice. We tried out some of their summer seasonal food in addition to our normal fair and were very pleased.

I could live on their buffalo bites and mac&cheese. top that off with some strawberry lemonaid and a crispy chichen sandwitch and my life is complete.

My wife ordered their Bahn Mi, and it was the first Veggie Grill item I didn't like in all the years. She loved it however.

Pros: Just great food, Friendly staff, Good selection of items

Cons: Still a bit expensive, but it's OK

Good Vegan Food! - Edit

I was surprised to find this back in my hometown :-) after reading the menu I'm like are you sure this is vegan? The server was very nice, told me all the choices and what came with each one and describe what they tasted like and her favorites excetera excetera :-) the place was nice and clean and the food was pretty good. It will definitely be a regular place for me to go to when I get back to my hometown again :-)

Contributions +394

Tasty Food - Edit

I've gone to a couple of veggie grills and I'm never disappointed. This veggie grill is no exception. The service was fast and the food was great. Try the chill out wings!

Pros: fast, cheap, tasty

Friendly People, but more important Friendly Food! - Edit

The whole experience is just Lovely. The moment I walked in, I felt as though I was home. The people are friendly and passionate about what they do and the food is just absolutely delicious!

Pros: Excellent everything!

Cons: There is not one on every corner!

Delicious! - Edit

I have tried Veggie Grill before, several times in other locations. I am so excited they are open in Mountain View (where I grew up!), the location is great and the menu never ever disappoints! 95% of the people there are extremely nice and helpful too! I love that they have tables outside so I can take my pup.
My favorite are the nachos, the cauliflower from the new menu, and the cheeseburger. The carrot cake is amazing! Can't live without the chipotle ranch :P

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 24, 2014

By the way, I noticed that people are complaining about it being not healthy or greasy or whatever...this is fast food, it's plant-based so it is healthier than traditional fast food, but you can also select salads or veggies!

Pros: most of the menu is a guarantee, fast and good service, clean

Cons: The BLTA was not great

totally vegan fast food - Edit

I mostly agree with the other reviewers, though it's interesting how the number of stars can vary so much. This VG is located in a newly constructed mall. The main parking lot is really ridiculous and stressful, but the ambiance inside the VG is relatively mellow for Silicon Valley. I've found the staff to be quite nice and friendly. The women's restroom was out-of-order the last time we were there, but the staff were willing to accommodate us.

As noted, you get the heavy restaurant-food treatment: too much oil, salt, and sugar with sometimes small portions. However they keep varying the menu and trying new entrees. Personally I liked the Harvest Bowl though there was way too much Field Roast sausage in there; this dish clocks in at around 750 calories, but ditch half the sausage and it drops to around 600, on par with a vegan Chipotle burrito.

The kids' meal offerings are really junky. My kids don't like the unappealing veggie burger patties, though they readily eat the greasy sweet potato fries, which I remind them is "a sometimes food." We swap the fatty dessert for mandarin oranges, which my kids don't really care for as they seem straight out of a can. My kids would love a simple bowl of sticky brown sushi rice dressed with tamari, topped with plain organic tofu, served with a crunchy pile of salted nori.

I think VG needs a separate menu for real vegans who are in this lifestyle for the long haul, vs omnivores experimenting with veganism who need convincing that they can find all the same (junky) tastes they're worried about losing. The Real Vegans Menu would have simple clean bowls chock full of local organic beans, greens and grains, lightly dressed with exquisite new combinations of nut- and seed- and avocado-based dressings. Well, maybe I'm just expecting too much from a VG?

Pros: all vegan, clean and new, friendly staff

Cons: too much fat, salt & sugar, nasty stressful parking lot

Buffalo wings are amazing - Edit

It's fast food to be sure, but there are some heathy options too (for example the Bombay bowl). Everything is sinfully tasty here if you're looking for some comfort food.

Pros: good food, decent parking

Cons: not super healthy

food was marginal, try somewhere else - Edit

I wasn't impressed with this vegan chain restaurant. The food was expensive for the portion sizes, and nutrition seems to be something that they totally disregard. Ok, maybe most people don't bother to hunt down the nutrition information for the food they are eating, but I care.Once I looked at everything on the menu, I came to the realization that I would starve before finding anything on their menu that didn't violate good nutrition guidelines.(Total fat less than or equal to 25% of total calories).Just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's good for you.Potato chips and oreos are perfect examples.
But, we were past feeding time and all starving, so we ended up here. My husband and I both ordered the harvest bowl. I gave him the fake sausage. It was greasy, salty and odd flavored. Neither of us liked it. My daughter ordered the thai chickin salad. She said it was ok, but wouldn't order it again.They tried all four drinks on offer, two lemonades and two teas. They were all odd flavor combinations and overly sweet. I stuck with water. My daughter ordered the chocolate parfait and chocolate chip cookie and my husband and I split the carrot cake. The chocolate parfait was too rich and overly sweet. The cookie was brick-like and could have been used to drive nails. The taste was not great either. The one bright spot in the entire meal was the carrot cake. I'm very particular about what a good carrot cake should be. They got it in one. It was rich, moist and tasted like carrot, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. The frosting was spot on for a mild cream cheese. So, when we get a craving for carrot cake, if we happen to be in the area, we will get only that. Pass on this chain, there are better tasting and healthier options out there.Would have given it one cow, but not allowed to by system.

Pros: Excellent carrot cake, nice environment, Food was delivered quickly

Cons: Food was subpar, Expensive for portion size, Extremely unhealthy, too fatty & salty

Delicious food and friendly staff - Edit

I am so happy they opened a restaurant near my home! Their food is amazing and staff is super-friendly.
I have been going there to try each day a different dish and so far the Santa Fe chickin (fake chicken) burger is the best!

Pros: Friendly staff, Beautiful decor, Fast

Cons: The crab cake burger was a bit burned, There should be extra sauce on the plate, The crab cake needs more flavor

Return to Mountain View Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Veggie Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3401 times since May 2014.