The Vegetarian

Contact 012-905766

158, Street 19 off Sihanouk Blvd, Phnom Penh, Cambodia,

Breezy restaurant serving Asian and Western cuisine with fresh ingredients. The price range is from US$1.50-$4.00 per dish. In 2012 it relocated from Street 200 and merged with The Treez Recipe which is now also The Vegetarian. Mon-Sat 10:30am-8:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Asian

First Review by wonglaiheng

tasteless Cambodian curry / water in Orange juice - Edit

nice garden / terrasse in the middle of the city.
relaxing atmosphere
I expected more about the food

Cons: unfortunately they added water in the orang juice

Our Favorite Phnom Penh Veggie Restaurant - Edit

This is our favorite place to eat in Phnom Penh. The food is really delicious and there's a very large choice. try the Indian Curry. Fabulous. A short walk from Independence Monument.

Pros: lots of vegan dishes, friendly staff, great location

Relaxing vegan dinner - Edit

I've just had dinner here. The place is very nice: peaceful, quiet, protected by the noisy daily routine of Phnom Penh. Food is good, but not great. I had a few dishes and they tasted all the same (good, but the same). Summer rolls were served with a hot chili sauce (I did not like it). In general, a good dinner: relaxing and good vegan food (two things that one should not take for granted in Cambodia). The only negative thing is the staff: service is slow and inefficient. I hope they will improve it. Price is higher than in the previous reviews.

Pros: location, nice relaxing place

Cons: inefficient service

Pleasant food in quiet setting - Edit

Evening meal shared by four of us in late August 2015. We shared a variety of dishes which were all enjoyed, but nothing stood out as great. Service was ok, food was very cheap (abt US$25 incl drinks and one desert), and the place itself, although in a nice garden setting was rather spartan. The only dish worth commenting on was a hot banana in coconut mild desert which was both tasty and plentiful, enough for four. No alcohol available. Staff were keen to close up as 8pm approached

Pros: cheap, clean

Ok food, lack of a good service - Edit

Too bad this place is so empty- the place where cafe is is super nice, outside tables surrounded by palm trees. However staff was extremely board and didn't care much about anything. There were about 5 servers and we were the only 2 customers. The staff was sitting chatting, walking arounds and just suuuuper board. Not a good image of vegetarians.. the meals are now more expensive than last reviews - $2.50. Food was good as long as it's not the pasta. Grilled veggy pasta was plain spagetti with a very plain sauce. Fried noodles however were great. Coffee was really good.
Would highly recommend the owner to retrain staff..

Pros: Great outdoor patio, Fried noodle dishes were good

Cons: Pasta dish too plain, Unprofessional staff

Brilliant place - Edit

This restaurant was in a handy location and although it's tucked away the sign outside was very clear. The food was of amazing quality and very cheap too. We were surrounded by bamboo and the waitresses turned on the fans as soon as we sat down. They had excellent service and were helpful when we asked if things had eggs or diary as my friend is a vegan. Also try the local dessert: Cambodian banana in coconut milk it is unbelievable.

great food just off Independence Square - Edit

"The Vegetarian" is a two minute walk from the Independence Monument in the middle of Phenom Pheng on street 19 heading north towards the royal palace. Variety, great tasting food, good service, reasonable prices and a chilled atmosphere. I have returned for all these reasons.

Cheapest prices, big portions, high quality menu. Went with three friends and we got about 8 different dishes to share. Each of us also got a fresh juice and a dessert. Bill came to $30 TOTAL for all 4 of us. can't compare!

Exceptional - Edit

Exceptional & Excellent! During my trip here and I'll never miss out this place. The best vegetarian in town. They are located just near to street 240 and very easy to find. It's just behind the Wat Botum temple and is opposite the Villa Borann hotel at Street 19. They are serving varieties of republic foods such as Cambodian, Thai, Indian, Western, Chinese etc. Overall food are delicious and tempting. I love most the spaghetti, pumpkin soup, tom yam, amok, wraps, salad, ice cream & fresh fruits juice. Atmosphere is graceful, peaceful, relaxing, clean and full of trees surrounding. Price is inexpensive and staff are very friendly. Overall is excellent and is the best I had in Phnom Penh so far.

Grumpy staff - Edit

First of all, the Vegetarian has a very nice garden and is an ideal place to relax from exploring Phnom Penh. However, the atmosphere was partially ruined by a grumpy waitress. She was not happy to see us at all, didn't explain the menu properly, and even seemed to be angry when we asked whether we can pay with Cambodian money instead of USD.

Although the food was OK, I can only give this place two stars for such a poor hospitality.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 06, 2014

Cons: grumpy staff

great food, closes too early - Edit

Must go if you are veggie, and a definite try even if you are not. Coz the food is pretty amazing. Quality is amazing and the flavours are just to die for!!

Pros: outside sitting, huge range of dishes, quick service

Cons: closes at 8:30, don't have soda

Simple & nice - Edit

During my holiday here. I tried many vegetarian restaurants and this is No.1 that I love most. Clean & comfort, relaxing environment, lot of greenery tree, good location, friendly staff, inexpensive, variety of food choices and most important is very tempting, delicious, simple, fresh, natural, nice & fantastic even without MSG too. If you aimed for artificial mock meat, strong taste(MSG) and non vegetarian food, then this is not your choice. They have many food varieties such as Cambodian Amok, Lok Lak, Thai Mango salad, Tom Yam, Vietnamese Pho, Indian samosa, Japanese Tempura, Udon, Spaghetti, Mexico wrap, Italian salad, Chinese Mun Fan, Malaysia curry, Indonesia sambal etc... Wow! Yummy all. And don't forget to try their dessert and fresh mango passion fruit juice. Wonderful & I highly recommend here & definitely will come again.

Pros: Excellent food, Fresh & healthy, Good value

Solid but not exceptional - Edit

After having eaten in many great restaurants on our trip so far (thanks Happy Cow!) I had high expectations for the Vegetarian. It turned out to be good, but not great, and didn't live up to my expectations.

Everything was solid and cheap, but nothing stood out. The star-anise tofu and mushroom dish had some great tofu and mushrooms in it, but the star-anise sauce was too weak for my taste.

Delicious Food - Edit

For me, It's two thumb-up! One of a good vegetarian restaurant around Phnom Penh,Cambodia.
Price is moderate. We met the owner and she's very accommodating. Service is good. The food is very delicious.
Location is alright and accessible. Just ride Tuktuk so you will not be lost.
I'm coming back for sure!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Good quality, insanely cheap - Edit

Offers a wide range of choices of Asian veggie food. I had the steamed tofu and olive paste - essentially a large block of soft tofu with an olive paste topping sitting in a soya sauce-based broth. Very pleasant without being earth-shattering. The pudding hit the mark, however - the sesame seed balls (in soya milk) in my case. Add a side of rice and fruit smoothie (several choices here too) and still got change from $7.
Hope to be back in my fortnight here to sample some other items.
Staff speak good English and are very friendly.

Pros: Price, Choice, Friendliness

Cons: Closed Sundays

seriously good! - Edit

Nice atmosphere, good service but most of all the food was fantastic. The Cambodian amok curry was so tasty! And the banana in coconut milk is one of the nicest deserts I've ever had. Good value too, 2 people each a main meal, a smoothie and shared a desert for under $12

Fantastic - Edit

Great staff and food at insanely good prices. All of the fried appetizers are wonderful, with an emphasis on the samosas. Their Oriental crispy noodles are the best I have had in Phnom Penh. Soups are solid (Malaysian curry is delicious), ambience nice and peaceful. Closed on Sunday and they generally take the last order around 7:45PM.

Pros: Food, Price, Staff

Cons: Not open late.

It seemed vegan to me - Edit

but we all make concessions while traveling, and if it was not entirely vegan it wasnt obvious.

hip place, slow and apathetic or rather uninspired service, but a wide menu with amazingly low prices. we went back a second time and found it closed on a sunday.

set off a quiet street, there is a small room in the back with free literature and bags and shirts for sale. would go back, tried to go back! everything was tasty and portions were correct.

we took our tuk-tuk driver there for lunch, and he enjoyed the tofu, it was the first he had ever tried. unfortunately that tofu dish was deep friend medallions of tofu in a gloppy sort of xanthan gum mushroom sauce: uninspired in any country.

i would not call the tastes and flavors exceptional, but when you are walking down a dirty street looking at whole cooked ducks and dumplings full of unknown animal parts, the vegetarian is refreshing indeed.

The Vegetarian - Edit

The location is good clean cozy food delicious especially no MGS. Staff very friendly and price is inexpensive. Further, they have a small Library, all CDs and books are free distribution and animals they has donation Box.

Loved it!! - Edit

I ate here twice during my 3 days in Phnom Penn. I thought it was excellent!
As a vegan I was spoilt for choice.
I tried the 5 veggie stir fry, Cambodian Amok curry and the golden bean curd with filling ( the bean curd was filled with tiny pieces of diced vegetables) I had this as a starter. It's listed under the light meal section of the menu.
I've eaten in veggie/vegan restaurants all over Asia. i found food here to be delicious and of generous portions and reasonably priced.
I find it had to believe that the review a couple before mine was so negative.
There is an inside and outside area, the outside area is small, but it's a lovely tranquil oasis set back from the hectic and busyness of Phnom Penn.
Try this place for definite :D
Highly recommended.

Pros: inside and outside seating, Very central location, Great choice of Vegan food

Cons: No vegan deserts

the vegetarian - Edit

Don't get the amok, we had it later in Siem Reap, completely different dish and much better. Desert sounded intriguing on the menu but was a bowl of sliced banana in a bowl of watered down coconut milk. Restaurant itself is nice in appearance though.

Pros: good ambience

Cons: no A/C

Still good - Edit

I wish I had read the warning on the Happy Cow site that this restaurant had just moved; instead I trusted my tourist map and the June 2012 Lonely Planet Cambodia guide and assumed it was still on street 200. Result was much wasted time in broiling heat. When I eventually located the new premises I found a much bigger menu than on my many visits a year ago. Gone also are the days when all dishes cost $1.50. But it's still great value, and you have to be reassured by a restaurant whose staff wear T-shirts reading No Meat, No Fish, No Eggs. To summarise: pancakes at $1.50; sandwiches $1.75; various noodle and spaghetti dishes $1.75; snacks $1.75; soups $1.50; salads $1.75, main courses $2 and $2.50; juices $1.50 and $1.75; desserts $1.25. Seating available in the garden, but plenty of space inside if it's raining.

A bit like a cafeteria - Edit

The cafe is nestled away on a sidestreet.

The food was not amazing however it was edible, but at $1 - 2 USD per dish it fulfils requirements.

The menu was very explanatory there were pictures and English.

I had the curry vegetable soup which was nice - however as in many cambodian soups the vegetables had been stewing for quite some time.

While it was no dingy street stall it just didn't have very much atmosphere about it.

The waitress was pleasant. She did the best she could with the language barrier.

Would go there again if I was out and needed a meal but I wouldn't 'go out' for a meal there with friends or anything.

Pros: clean, understandable menu, cheap

Cons: average food

Clean, tasty, affordable, and pleasant - Edit

We ate at the Vegetarian several times in 2011 and we enjoyed its simple charms, as did one of our carnivorous local friends.

We found the trick to getting the most satisfying meal here is in creating a good balance, and that's true anywhere but it takes a little more attention here because a lot of the food on the menu is fried, and some of those fried items are still a bit oily when served. Some of their fried dishes are quite tasty, but be careful not to overdo the battery deep-fried options.

Solution: take at least one friend with you (so you can get a few dishes to share) and order a fresh fruit juice for starters, then a balanced meal with a soup, some green veggies, and just one of the fried protein options if you're into that.

The "grilled ham" was especially good (to our surprise, since we aren't ham people).

The location is central yet quiet, and the open front makes it breezy and pleasant. Clean and friendly, too.

Pros: good value & selection, tasty, clean, and friendly, good central location

Cons: some dishes oily

Nice!!! - Edit

We have been to this place a few times, and it has become our second choice for eating in Phnom Penh.
The food is very nice and easy to eat at if you are vegan. It's good value and the general restaurant has a really nice ambiance to it. The staff are very friendly.
There are a couple of tables out front if you wish to eat out doors.
All in all, if you are veggie or vegan, this place is a must try!

Pros: great food, good staff and service

Wonderful Veggie treat - Edit

After our tour in Phnom Penh, we decided to eat here as it's a bit hard to look for vegetarian restos around. Very friendly staff and was able to chit-chat with them as well. Lovely ambiance, nice and cozy location and wonderful foods. Will definitely go back here in the future.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: wait time for food preparation

Great and cheap food - Edit

The Vegetarian is my favorite in Phnom Penh, most dishes are 1,5 dollar and you can choose between asian and western food. Lovely and clean place, friendly people and great food. Try the fake-ham sandwich or the spaghetti... yummy! My number one!

Pros: great food, so cheap, clean and friendly

Delicious food at bargain price $1 for any item - - Edit

Food in here is only $1 for any one dish. I ordered fresh mango juice, pumpkin soup, spring rolls and dumplings.

I got big bowl of soup, then came the spring rolls. I was surprised to see that there were 8 spring rolls on the plate. All for only one dollar!!! Wow.
The spring rolls were absolutely delicious. Then came the dumplings were yum.

I started talking to one of the chef who was eating on other table due to near closing time. I told them it was too much food and he said they would pack it for me. Few people came for take away fried rice etc. This restaurant is suitable for Vegetarians, and Non vegetarians as well. The potions are huge.

I talked to the waiters and chefs and they told me the owner being vegetarian had subsidised the prices.
I loved eating at this restaurant, everyone were so friendly .

... - Edit

nice food, tasty deep fried battered tofu. but whether or not each dish is worth a dollar depends on what you order.. the spaghetti isn't enough for a dinner, but the tempura or deep fried tofu (under snacks) is generous and very filling because of the thick batter. in general yummy though, and good service. their business cards and fliers use the phrase 'go vegan, save the planet' or something, but they serve eggs and cheese. hmm.

The Vegetarian in Phnom Penh - Edit

Clean, breezy, comfortable & friendly restaurant. Run by a foreigner to encourage people to go for vegetarian & price is inexpensive. Menu serve fine Asian & Western cuisine, food fresh, very delicious & good service. Really worth for visit.
Fruit juice is 100% fresh made & pure, spaghetti, pumpkin soup, noodle soup, fried rice, curry, veggie, salad, sandwich, pancake, dessert etc.. are all very nice too.
Unbelievable vegetarian is so delicious & all my friends are very enjoy the food there.

Nice Place, Average Food - Edit

A pleasant restaurant and incredibly cheaply priced, given the location, decor etc.

The meals may only be US$1 each, but you more or less get what you pay for - dishes can be quite bland and the ingredients are simple and cheap. I'd be happy to pay more for higher quality food.

The menu is a blend of Asian and Western cuisine. The Asian dishes (rice, noodles, mushroom etc) are a safer bet than the Western (e.g. pasta with potato sauce), though still underwhelming. OK, but nothing to rave about. Juices are quite nice and pretty cheap though.

If all you want is a really cheap place with a pleasant atmosphere, this is pretty good. The quality of the food leaves quite a bit to be desired though, and I'd be much more inclined to go elsewhere.

Pros: Location, Ambience, Clean

Cons: Food not great, Weird interpretations of Western dishes

Great price but not all the rave - Edit

after reading all the reviews went there for a try, the place is small and cozy, seating is limited. you might have to share a table with other patrons. The food selection is basic. The fresh juice is nice and fresh. I suppose for a low cost, a simple meal and fresh juice it would be a great place to eat.
I would not go out of my way to get there, well that's in my opinion.

Pros: low cost, fresh juice, healthy food

Cons: limited seating, , basic menu, not so tasty or flavourful

>>> The Vegetarian - Edit

I have found a new favorite vegetarian shop. Being vegetarian is another good thing because everyone can enjoy it.Considering the cheap price tag of the dish only USD1 per dish, the amount of ingredients given was pleasantly awesome.The vegetarian is actually good enough, the food is coupled with a low pricing. Clean, comfy environment, courteous staff and satisfied with the freshness and taste.

Pros: excellent food, excellent food, excellent food

Cons: excellent food, excellent food, excellent food

Very delicious and healthy - Edit

I went to Phnom Penh a week ago to look for vegetarian restaurant with two friends.Its was a nice lunch with nice food,good service and friendly.After that i started to order the food,I have order one noodle soup and one fried mix vegetarian, the first thing that they serve me is mineral water and the way they talk very polite keep on smiling. especially the food that i had order they can make it only in a moment for two kinds of food and the food look fresh with nice smell,I love it.I only spend $2 for two dishes.

ONLY USD1 - Where to find in Phnom Penh ??? - Edit

USD 1 - surprisingly more satisfying than expected for the nice food and portion. has gotta be one of the best in town. And a good thing about it is you WON'T be charged exorbitantly for a plate of dish.If you're a long customer of this restaurant you will definitely know what I mean.

The Vegetarian @ Phnom Penh - Edit

Finally "The Vegetarian" another new born vegetarian Restaurant in Phnom Penh. When it first opened in Phnom Penh it created a buzz among vegetarian lovers, as the variety of food was considered to be fresh and unique for us - not to mention tasted great too.My personal experience with "The Vegetarian was a good affair and I still could remember some of the dishes I had that day like the dumpling and Spaghetti Tomato. I like how "The Vegetarian" designs their restaurant giving a nice, calming ambiance. ..... Dining at The vegetarian ...sure to be at the correct place

Its taste better than its looks - Edit

Naturally, Human being's demand of eating is that cheap, delicious, and healthy.where can find ? yeah,The vegetarian only which cost $1 each dish and set meal only $0.75. Let me introduce some dish that i had tried many time such as short noddle,deep fry dumpling,set meal, fruit salad and fresh juice and so on. Those are very delicious, healthy and $1 for each. However, the environment clean and windy. If want healthy,cheap, good service, good environment, please think about THE VEGETARIAN is the best place for us :)

Set meal, fresh fruit juice, fried mixed mushroom - Edit

Yes yes yes.... It true is....
I used to be there and having set meal normally at lunch time. The meal is so nice contained of 3 different dishes and white rice serving in a-likely banana leave plate which is just only 3000KHR around USD0.75.
Fresh fruit juice, I do say it is fresh and live made just in the small kitchen right inside the rest.. The juice never pre make since I can hear the sound of the fruit juice machine..."trorrr trorrr........" Normally I order the juice mixed of carrot, apply, and a piece of ginger. It is very delicious, I can tell you.
Besides, the food and meal, the decoration look so nice and attractive by means of wallpaper (leave design, glas, plate,..), music, lighting, and winding ways.
Not only the set meal, but also the FRIED MIXED MUSHROOM is also delicious...
I can eat quite alot and feel relax once I be there....
If you are the vegetarian and want to find the good place to be served, why NOT this VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT... :)

Cons: 3

"The Vegetarian" Restaurant in Phnom Penh - Edit

i had been there for few time and the the food was nice, delicious and cheap... all the food serve is only USD 1.00 ...further more the staff is very friendly.. the tomato soup is a good choice if u prefer sour food.. beside that the fried spring roll also taste nice cause i had just tried it on today... also they offer the set meal with 3 dish and a rice which only cost you USD 0.75.. the most impressed me is the 3 dish was never the same in everyday.. some more the surrounding was windy even through w/o air-conditional.....

Return to Phnom Penh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13472 times since Jul 2010.