The Vegetarian Cottage

Contact 022754607

41/19 Soi Chokchai Ruammit, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd Soi 16/21, Bangkok, Thailand,

Part of Spa Food vegetarian restaurants in Bangkok. Choose from a variety of mock meat dishes. Try the spicy banana flower salad. Kitchen breaks in the afternoon til 5:30pm. Directions: Take taxi to Vipawadeerangsit Rd or Ratchadaphisek Rd, it's near the airport. At soi 21 in soi 16 of Vipavadhi Rangsit - at the end of the soi, cross a small canal and turn right or you could also enter from Ratchadaphisek soi 19, close to the metro station Ratchadaphisek. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Thai, European

First Review by chillin

nom nom nom - Edit

something different, traditional meat dishes recreated with soy substitution, lots of choices, I had the satay with peanut sauce and shrimp green curry, ❤️ for dessert the panacotta. All very well prepared great service and about $10 U.S. Per person

The hidden gem that is worth the search - Edit

Had a lovely lunch at The Vegetarian Cottage, it really made our day! As vegetarians and first-timers in Bangkok finding vegetarian food (something that is not cooked with pork and fish sauce) was quite a tough task. Only after 6 days in the area we discovered that there´s a vegetarian restaurant just a walking distance away. We had to search for some time as the restaurant is inside a residential area, but gladly there is a sign board so you´ll not miss where to turn. We ordered Indian style curries with mock-chicken - both very different with tasty and rich gravies. The healthy brown rice was a plus point, so was the peaceful and good atmosphere of this homely place.

Pros: Variety of dishes, Great food, Peaceful place with a garden

Cons: little difficult to find, not on the main road

Excellent white cloth dining - Edit

This is a menu as found in a European-Asian fusion restaurant for meat eaters. There are some classic Thai dishes and a great variety of French and Italian. It looks upscale but the price is really not much higher than eating anywhere else but a food-court or in the market. There are plenty of choices of drinks and they are moderately priced. The atmosphere is cosy – white cloth, pink walls and rose patterned curtains – and the house is set in a beautiful garden.
They serve vegetarian but are very accommodating to vegans. I'm not sure about the proficiency in English but the menu is bilingual.
We had peking duck in a wonderful sweet orange sauce. The pasta bologneise was too sweet for my pallet but made from scratch with good ingredients.

Pros: Atmosphere away from the bustling city, Variety of food, Drink list

Cons: Need a car or taxi to get there

Great Find! - Edit

This was a wonderfully elegant white table cloth experience. A bit out of the way but worth the trip. The menu is full of western and Asian items composed of mock meats. Everything from filet mignon to Peking Dick, lamb chops, beef steak and chicken dishes. We don't usually go for this but it was all very good with the texture and flavor of the real thing. Amazing sauces.
Good service and a beautiful atmosphere for a quiet dinner.
Worth checking out for such a unique menu.

Updated from previous review on Friday December 26, 2014

Pros: Lots of vegan options, elegant service and nice atmosphere , Affordable

Cons: A bit out of the way

mock meats but great service - Edit

This place was quite difficult to find. I came close using google maps but ended up taking a taxi for the last 100 yards. My advice would be to just take a motorcycle taxi from the Ratchadapisek MRT station. Call the restaurant and give the phone to the driver so that they can direct him.

On to the food. As another reviewer said it's largely just mock meats, so if you don't like mock meats I'd stay clear. Having said that the quality of the food was excellent though pricey by Bangkok standards.

I was the only one at the restaurant when I arrived (it was close to their afternoon closing time) and at the end of the meal they kindly offered to take me back to the MRT station on motorcycle. I tried to tip the guy but he politely refused.

Overall I had a good experience here. Not a whole lot to add to the other reviews but just want to keep the reviews fresh and up-to-date!

Pros: mock meat heaven, great service

Cons: expensive , hard to find

Nice place - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my The Vegetarian Cottage review.

The place is hard to find, and you have to take a taxi there. It's in a nice, upscale place (for Thai standard). The menu seemed interesting, but be careful not to order too much mock meats. I recommend the banana flower salad.

Pros: nice flavors

Cons: hard to find, not cheap, too much mock meats

Mock meat central! - Edit

I'm a vegan because I love eating vegetables ... not keen on places which make vegetables look and taste like meat. But having an open mind I was willing to test unchartered waters. A friend took me there on a visit to Bangkok. We enjoyed our evening but I found myself picking out all the mock-meat and just eating the vegetables. Not my cup of tea, but as it was busy I'm guessing it is quite popular. It was expensive for what it was.

Pros: Lovely setting, Ambient, Efficient waiter

Cons: Mock-meats aplenty!, Expensive, Hard to find

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Vegetarian Cottage closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1930 times since Aug 2007.