The Veg Box Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 01227-456654

17A Burgate, Canterbury, England, CT1 2HG

Inside Canterbury Wholefoods store on the 2nd floor. Serving lunch, afternoon tea, and snacks. Uses seasonal, local organic vegetables. Child friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Free Wi-Fi. Previously located at 1-2 Jewry Ln, Jan 2016. Lunch is served from 12pm-3pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Take-out, British, English

First Review by shloobee

Very good. Little bit pricey. - Edit

Really nice little cafe, and the only completely veg/vegan place in Canterbury. Good selection of cakes too, some gluten-free.
Only downside is it's a little pricy for regular eating. Definitely a treat more than a habitual hangout.

Pros: All veg/vegan, Good cakes, GF options

Cons: Expensive for what it is, Sometimes bland hot dishes

An exciting new chapter for the Veg Box Café - Edit

This week I visited the Veg Box in its new premises on Burgate. It looks fantastic, fresh and still familiar (thanks to the unmistakable lively green walls). Now they also have outdoors seating, breakfast (big full vegan version available!) and apparently... Sunday Roasts. This little family business makes you feel at home wherever they are located and is definitely a must as they are the only ones in town betting on a fully vegetarian menu.

Pros: Great vegan cakes and food, Outdoor seating, The best produce for normal prices

Cons: I wish it was bigger

Lovely cozy spot - Edit

It's sadly the only vegetarian/vegan cafe in the area after The Hutch closed a couple of years ago. Food is cooked with fresh organic seasonal vegetables. Choice is a little limited but that doesn't stop me eating there as everyone is very friendly and to avoid being disappointed go early!

Pros: all vegetarian with vegan options, clean & cozy, tasty & has relaxed atmosphere

Cons: not open in the evenings, not in an easy to find location, it's upstairs -no disabled access

Only veggie place in Canterbury - Edit

We always prefer to eat at veggie places if possible. Sadly this is the only veggie restaurant in Canterbury - and is not open in the evening. We had one lunch here. Soup of the day, and 'posh pot noodles'. Both clearly used fresh ingredients and were a great lunch. We would have preferred more flavour – it was a little bland for our tastes – particularly the bread that accompanied the soup – but that is a small quibble. The atmosphere was busy and friendly and if we are ever in the area again we will return. It would be great if they would consider opening in the evenings with maybe a different menu.

Pros: Good fresh ingredients, Imaginative food combinations, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: A little bland

Disappointing Visit - Edit

Visited The Veg Box Cafe with my Mum, an omnivore, to try and show her the variety of vegan foods on the market that are just as, if not MORE delicious than omni/carni foods.

Unfortunately, everything we wanted to order (and things that we didn't) had sold out! Even the desserts that we wanted weren't available, so in the end we were both unsatisfied AND had to go without pudding (which is unheard of between us, really, as we both have a sweet tooth).

The service was good, and we were politely informed that we couldn't have what we wanted to order, though it didn't really soften the blow of not being able to indulge in a cheesecake.

The Cafe wasn't busy, and it wasn't late in the day when we visited, so we were both rather disappointed. I hope if we decide to visit again, that there will be more available.

It was most disappointing that we had read good reviews about the Cafe here on Happy Cow, and on other places online. We expected a good afternoon out as my mum had travelled from Maidstone, and although what we did have was nice, it was not what we wanted. I had to have the ratatouille, which I felt was a little watery and too strongly flavoured with an overpowering spice - it may have been turmeric? - though I did enjoy the chips that came with it. My only further comment would be some vegan mayo would have been lovely too!
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 16, 2015

Pros: Polite staff, Quiet

Cons: Lack of availability, Lack of vegan options, High priced

Lovely atmosphere and great food! - Edit

The cafe is laid out really beautifully (gorgeous decorations & very cosy!). It is also child friendly, there are toys laid out for kids to play with. The waitress was very friendly. We initially went there just to grab a coffee, I had the hazelnut milk latte and my boyfriend the hazelnut flat white, both of which were really lovely! We split a vegan chocolate cupcake, which I definitely recommend - it did not taste remotely "alternative", just very decadent!

I have not yet been there for a full meal, although I will be very soon, but my boyfriend went and had the spicy bean burger and buddha bowl and was full of praise for them both, so I will be trying them in the next few weeks. Whole heartedly recommend!

Such good vegan food! - Edit

I absolutely love this place and am sad there's nothing like it in Oxford! We ate here almost every day we when were in Canterbury. It's bright and cheerful, and the food is AMAZING - so healthy and fresh. The first day I was there I had the vegan burger - but they don't just put a factory-made junk food vegan patty on some bread - their patties are made right there in the shop. The Jamaican jerk curry was so good my partner ordered it two days in a row. The vegan/ raw puddings are dreamy - we got to try the raw chocolate tort and raw lemon tort. The owners are amazing, and even tried to help us find some accommodation. (I'd read about this place here on Happy Cow before arriving, and we went straight to it from the train station!)

the best in Canterbury - Edit

There's no doubt: if you're vegetarian or vegan, then the Veg Box café is the best place to eat out in Canterbury. Warm, friendly location; great staff; healthy, filling and sometimes quite creative food. Lunch below a tenner. Go there.

nice place - Edit

I almost didn't go because it was difficult to find and then from the entrance it looks like its just a whole foods shop so I was worried it was just going to be a deli. Nice spot, food was tasty but nothing special.

Pros: atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: location, unimaginative menu

good food - Edit

"Organic, vegetarian/vegan breakfasts, lunches, snacks, drinks and cakes." Open 10:00 am-3:30 pm, lunch from 12 noon, Monday-Saturday. The menu is on a large blackboard, including daily specials. A few vegan items but mostly lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Soup, sweets - made in-house, including vegan ice cream, vegan chocolate cupcake, beetroot brownie, lemon and almond polenta cupcake. Also Fairtrade coffees, teas, organic juices.
I had celeriac with sage soup which came with wholemeal bread and vegan spread (margarine) for GBP4.95. Another time I had squash and lentil dahl on brown rice, with mango chutney and greens salad, daily special 7.95, and nettle tea. Delicious comfort-food for a chilly, damp day.

Pros: tasty food, good location

Cons: not enough vegan options

Average - Edit

A nice little place above the Wholefoods market. I didn't find the food that good though and the vegan dessert options were very limited.

Pros: focus on organic and local products

Cons: average food, limited vegan options for dessert

Lovely lunch - Edit

I ate lunch at the Veg Box with my partner on a rainy Saturday in June. When we arrived it was quite busy, but not full. I ordered the soup of the day (Broccoli, Courgette & Pea) (vegan) which came with two chunks of very nice brown bread. My partner had the veggie burger, which came with large potato wedges and a generous portion of salad. Everything was very tasty. For dessert I had an iced chocolate cupcake (vegan) and my partner had the carrot cake; they both get top marks for yummyness! We were sevred quickly and the atmosphere was friendly and casual. In total (including drinks) the meal came to about £21.

Pros: great value for money, vegan desserts, gluten free options

Cons: might be hard to find

super veg box - Edit

excellent value,good atmosphere,wide selection of vegan options,very friendly staff,they are doing an excellent vegan christmas dinner at the moment that is recommended,the only negative thing I can think of is that they close at 4 o clock

Pros: good value, excellent food, friendly atmosphere

Cons: closes at 4pm

YUM!!!!! - Edit

In a great setting, really nice servers, and great food, how can you go wrong? Being Vegan, I'm used to not having choice and as this was described as Veggie friendly who catered for Vegan I didn't expect much - what I got was a good choice and an excellent meal - plus a proper, non-wishy-washy soy cappuccino :) Absolutely recommend it. Will go back for more when I'm in town again and one day I'm going to try the breakfast

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Great place

Cons: Not big enough!

Return to Canterbury Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Veg Box Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3955 times since Oct 2009.