The Underground Bakery

Contact 508-385-4700

780 Main St (at Route 6A), Dennis, Massachusetts, USA, 02638

Serves meat, vegan options available. A full-service bakery in the heart of Dennis Village, Cape Cod, serving cappuccino, pastries, candies, fresh baked bread. Will make vegan baked good with advance request. Offers soy milk, almond milk made in-house, vegan sandwiches and soups, and more. Mon-Sat 6:00am-5:00pm, Sun 6:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by lynnieboodles

great vegan sandwiches, but long wait! - Edit

I have gotten vegan sandwiches from the Underground Bakery twice, and each time they were awesome. I recommend the seitan cheesesteak, with mushrooms, onions, red pepper, and Daiya cheese, served like a Panini. There were about six other vegan lunch options, including a tofu scramble wrap and a Daiya grilled cheese. However, each time there has been a long wait for the food in a hot entrance/seating area, and the other patrons had the look of people who felt they had waited too long as well. I just waited a solid half hour, with only two or three orders in front of me, for an order of five sandwiches. Although I loved my vegan sandwich, the non-vegans were not overly impressed with theirs and did not think their meals were worth the wait. Let me put it another way. I think they would have loved their food, as it looked fresh and well-prepared although not vegan, but the long wait time put them out of sorts and negatively affected their enjoyment. Even when I called in advance and waited a while before driving to pick up my food, at a slow time of day, it was not ready when I arrived. I would get food from there again, but only calling ahead and waiting a longer while before going to pick it up. I did not try the vegan baked goods, but there probably were half a dozen different items to choose from. Most of the baked goods, the vast majority, are not vegan, but did look like things that non-vegans would enjoy quite a bit.

Pros: wonderful vegan sandwiches

Cons: very long wait times

Contributions +39

one of the originals! - Edit

There are still not a ton of vegan/ veg options on Cape Cod but the list is growing. UC was one of the originals to offer vegan/ veg options. They make everything in house which is a nice touch. I've eaten here multiple times and will continue to do so. Love this place!

A handy spot - Edit

The Cape isn't the most vegan-friendly spot, so Underground Bakery is super handy as you can actually get vegan food. We have eaten the tofu scramble wrap, which is good when you add a little salt and hot sauce, and the seitan cheesesteak. Only occasionally have we got vegan baked goods, but despite this, you can still get lunch there.

Pros: Actual vegan sandwiches, Occasional vegan baked goods

Don't bother... - Edit

There is not a lot of vegan bakery items. They had a small basket full but a large selection of nonvegan items. They did have a tofu scramble wrap with a choice of rice and beans or homefries. I was not impressed with the bakery item which was too dry and virtually tasteless and the wrap was too bland. The coffee was luke warm at best.

Pros: affordable, cute inside

Cons: hard to find, very few vegan items

Two disappointing visits in two years - Edit

During the past two summers, we have stopped into the Underground Bakery for vegan desserts and coffee. Both times, we were very disappointed. Most recently, we got a vegan chocolate-peanut butter bar and a vegan Oreo cookie brownie. Both were too dry, sweet to the point of overkill, and lacking good flavor. We thought that the coffees were terrible, too. We like dark roasts, and both the UB's hot coffee and iced coffee had no flavor or body at all. It tasted like we were drinking warm water! Also, the pastries are not cheap. We will not be stopping back next year. It is perplexing that there are so many great reviews of the Underground Bakery on various foodie-related sites online. Maybe the sandwiches or pastries are great for the meat-eaters, but their vegan stuff and coffees leave a lot to be desired. Bummer!

Cons: vegan baked goods are overly sweet, terrible coffee, not inexpensive

No thanks - Edit

The Underground isn't worth the drive down from the Outer Cape that's for sure. And, I have to disagree with the previous reviewer it is hardly a must when you visit the Cape. So many better options. We found the food to be bland, the baked goods seemed to be missing something, maybe moisture? The most disturbing as a vegan is I question how fastidious they are about keeping animal products away from the supposed vegan items ... they just didn't seem that buttoned up and more concerned with the music and chit chat with each other than on professionalism.

Pros: some vegan options

Cons: taste, attitude

Awesome - Edit

Now I added the bakery to Happy Cow so maybe I am biased, but this place is the coolest bakery on the cape, they have something to offer everyone, and if they don't then they will try their hardest to get you what you are looking for. Young owners make you feel welcome, and love what they do. This is a MUST visit when going to the cape, especially when you want some fun vegan options.

Pros: Great good, cheap, vegan options

Cons: not open 24/7, doesn't deliver to my house

Return to Dennis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Underground Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1629 times since Mar 2010.