The Tomato Head

Contact 865-637-4067

12 Market Square (at downtown), Knoxville, Tennessee, USA, 37902

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pizzas, sandwiches, soups, salads, quesadilla, and burritos. Ask staff about ingredients. Brunch on weekend. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by tomaswk

Delicious! - Edit

I ordered "The Vegan" sandwich here, and it was absolutely delicious! The down side was that I ordered it to go, and the whole process seemed really chaotic. It's possible that I just caught them on an off day (this was my first visit), but I had to wait awhile just to order, since the busy bartender seemed to be the only one who could take a to-go order, even though the two hostesses were just standing right next to me. Then I waited about 15 minutes for my sandwich, and eventually realized that it had been sitting behind the counter for some time, which was frustrating since so many employees had walked back and forth there and even rung up other people right next to it, and we were clearly the only people waiting there the whole time.

However, the tasty sandwich made up for it. They also had awesome-looking vegan baked goods, and the hostesses were really nice. It's possible that the slow and unorganized service was just a fluke--it was pretty busy--so I'd definitely go back here if I was in Knoxville again.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Delicious food, Nice employees

Cons: Unusually long wait, Chaotic service

great food and service - Edit

This place became my go to place during a visit to Knoxville. Staff was very helpful in answering all my questions. Tried some of everything over the few days I was there. Vegan pizzas, sandwiches, and cupcakes. There are vegan beers on the menu but they aren't labeled, I had to resort to Barnivore for that info.

A Vegan's Best Friend - Edit

This place has tasty sandwiches, vegan pizzas, and really great specials. They have so many vegan options. I especially love their vegan sandwich, pizza, and pita sandwich. They offer gluten-free bread for sandwiches which I love (however it is not vegan). The vibe is great and they have 2 locations in Knoxville.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 28, 2015

Pros: Tasty vegan options, Gluten-free options, Location in downtown Market Square

Cons: Parking, Crowded, Noisy

great pizza! - Edit

Our K-Town Vegans MeetUp Group has now endorsed this restaurant as vegan friendly.

Fantastic pizza, great beer and wine selection, excellent sandwiches, nice patio right on Market Square.

Pros: pizza, sandwiches

Cons: noisy inside, can be very busy

Yummy Yummy - Edit

So we were stopped in Knoxville for the night on route to Florida. I grabbed the Happy Cow app and looked at reviews.

This place was a 10 minute walk from the hotel and was wonderful!

When I saw that they had a vegan cupcake I knew Rhys place would be awesome!

I had a healthy and super FILLING sandwich and the spicy bean dip for an appetizer. They were both great.

The restaurant has patio seating and a whole second attachment to the restaurant that we didn't even see from the front.

I was even too full for the cupcake: (

I highly recommend this place!

Thanks to others for posing!
Updated from previous review on Friday July 04, 2014

Pros: Flavour, Options, Healthy

sweetness - Edit

The tomato head brunch is awesome. . . for non vegans. I got there pretty early to munch and study. Ordered my coffee and asked about a vegan option for the housemade soysage and gravy that I'd previously been informed were vegan. The waitress confirmed they were vegan and said that all of their breads including the biscuits. Ecstatic - because I'm a southerner raised on biscuits who misses them fiercely - I ordered the vegan gravy and biscuits with soysage. Out came my order a few minutes later, I took a bite without inspecting and found cheese and eggs. Curious I went inside to ask if it was soy cheese and some form of egg replacement before I continued eating. Turns out the biscuits, and gravy are totally not vegan, the waitress had done me favor by accidently mixing up the order, because the brown gravy does have cream in it somehow. However the manager personally asked the cook, and the bagel and hummus is an entirely vegan option and so are the vegan chocolate chip cookies they gave me free of charge with their apologies. Sweet cookies and people at the tomato head.

Pros: staff are really awesome people

Cons: such a diverse menu can occasionally lead to mixup

Kepner Melt Forever! - Edit

They have quite a few vegan options, but I ALWAYS get the Kepner melt. It is so delicious I can't bring myself to get something else when we eat there. It is even good a few hours later if you get it to go. The staff has always been great and very knowledgeable. Tomato head is our favorite place to eat when we are in Knoxville! Try their vegan pesto too, it is really tasty.

Pros: vegan sandwiches, kepner melt, reasonably priced

Cons: can be crowded

great food - Edit

awesome pizza place in a fun part of town. great staff, good beer, great food. a bunch of different vegan options including vegan cheeze. definitely suggest eating here if you are in the area.

Pros: awesome pizza, good beer selection, friendly staff

Cons: tight spacing

Awesome for Everyone! - Edit

My family and I were vacationing in the area and decided to try out Tomato Head since my mom and I are vegan, but my 2 teens are not. While my teens enjoyed their turkey and cheese, my mom and I shared 2 meals so we could try out both the veggie quesedilla (beyond awesome) and the tofu and pesto sandwich (my fave). Once we settled back in Michigan after our vacation, I tried re-creating both dishes...but it was a fail. Perfect excuse to visit them again when I'm headed South!

Pros: Awesome Vegan Choices, Friendly Staff

Cons: Noisy (high ceiling), A little pricey

Attention vegans! Get the Jose Jose Burrito! - Edit

The Jose Jose Burrito (sans the cheese and cream) was incredible! Quick service, great location in Knoxville's downtown market square. Highly recommend it. Definitely a stop again when in K'ville!

Pros: Food, location, service

Cons: no wheat pizza dough

Best Restaurant EVER! ♥ - Edit

I love (not "like"), LOVE the Tomato Head! Their food is always fresh and consistantly fantastic. The baked tofu is out of this world (meat-eaters even like it)! The staff is bohemian and super friendly, they will go out of their way to make you happy. They have seasonal specials and buy locally.
This is hands-down, my favorite restaurant EVER!

Pros: Fresh & Healthy, Friendly Staff, Plenty Veg/Vegan options

Cons: A little noisy

Vegan Victory Pizza - Edit

Tomato Head pizza place has soy cheese and many vegan options including their own vegan cupcakes and vegan cookies. It's a great place but we learned today of a very special pizza that is NOT on their menu. It is called the "Vegan Victory." It is spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, pesto, roasted garlic, red onions, carrot shreds, black beans and potato chips. Great stuff but you gotta ask for it. Enjoy!

Pros: Good food., Very veg friendly.

Cons: A bit on the expensive side.

Very vegan friendly - Edit

Went here with a vegetarian and a non vegetarian. I thought the food was pretty good, if a bit bland. You can get vegan pesto and they also had soy cheese for there pizzas. I had a tofu sandwich with vegan pesto and onion soup. Also had a peanut butter and chocolate cupcake which was great. As an added bonus, they have New Belgium brewing company beer! I enjoyed a bottle of mothership wit.
Both times we went, there was a wait of 20-35 minutes. Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Pros: Ample vegan options, Good waitstaff, reasonable prices

Cons: Food a bit bland, may be a long wait time

Not bad - Edit

The sandwich I had was good. Wasn't too crazy about the soup. The 2 guys at the register were very friendly and accommodating to our veganism, though some of the other workers didn't seem so nice. But it doesn't really matter, since they weren't the ones you have to interact with!

I wish I'd tried the pizza, but if you look at a large, plain cheese, the plain cheese is $4 cheaper than the soy cheese. Jeez. I know vegan cheese is more expensive, but come on... They were also out of the vegan cookies when we were there :(

I'd probably visit there again. The vegan pesto on my sandwich was delicious and would likely be so on a pizza as well.

Pros: Friendly staff (mostly), Fresh and pretty good

Cons: Soy cheese=expensive, They were out of the vegan cookies

Excellent Veg and Vegan Choices - Edit

Located in downtown Knoxville on Market Square, The Tomato Head serves a wide variety of sandwiches, salads, pizzas, and daily specials -- all inventively designed with excellent ingredients. Many are Vegan or Vegetarian, but there is something for almost every taste.

The restaurant has become a fixture on Market Square; as a result, it is very popular and is often crowded, but it is a friendly crowd.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent ingredients, Friendly staff

Cons: Often crowded

Great Food...Great Location - Edit

Located in Market Square this place is a favorite of mine for lazy Saturday and Sunday afternoons. (Weekday traffic makes it a little bothersome). I most often have the Vegan Sandwich with blue corn chips and a side of kalamata olives. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I shop at the Three Rivers Co-Op and they sell the Tomato Head Vegan Pesto & Hummus that they make there. Do not deny your self. Specials, Sandwiches, Starters, Soups, pizza Calzones...YUM!! They will work with you and if you are vegan, like me, they will help you make a good decision.

Sit outside, sit inside....Just sit down and eat! (Then get a Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie to go) YUM!!!

Pros: Beautiful Location, VERY Vegan Friendly, Great Tasting Food

Cons: Weekday traffic/Parking

Great Place, Great Location, Great Food - Edit

Best veggie food I found in town. The location is downtown, not a far walk from UT. It is in a square where there was a play going on while we ate.

I had the Vegan sandwich and it was VeganYummy. The pizza also looks great. I also had a vegan soup that was great.

Pros: Food, Location, Vegan

Return to Knoxville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Tomato Head closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5238 times since Aug 2007.