First Review by daf187

Not particularly good, we were disappointed - Edit

After driving for an hour to get to the restaurant, we were disappointed to find mediocre food.
The spreads were nice, but nothing special. The main course wasn't so delicious.
The dessert was tasty (vegan carrot cake) but unfortunately only after I started to eat it, I found that it contains honey, although it should be vegan!

Pros: Atmosphere, Location, Service

Cons: food

Great food and atmosphe - Edit

We ate here two nights running during our two-night stay in Paleochora! The menu changes daily so there are always new things to try, and my non-vegetarian partner also very much enjoyed the food. I like that they have more international/Asian dishes as well as Cretan/Greek classics - Cretan food is wonderful but sometimes you just fancy something different for a change. The location is really nice too - just off the beach, and plenty of tables inside and outside.

Pros: Varied menu, Friendly owner

Great place for vegans, lacto-vegetarians and non-vegetarians. - Edit

Brilliant place, but even if it is listed here on HappyCow, it's sometimes difficult to find using HappyCow's search engine - don't know why.
The Third Eye has a Helpful staff, is close to the beach, and it's great to (finally!) find a Greek cafe with lots of non-Greek options. They have great Thai food, very nice Chinese fried rice, and they also have well known vegan stuff like guacamole, hummus and falafel (but the falafel was for some reason only available as a non-vegan option).
The vegan options are usually clearly marked on the menu, and many of the lacto dishes can be served without animal products.

Pros: Great food, Very vegan friendly, Helpful staff

Cons: None that I can think of..., ...other than that their falafel was nonvegan

Casual place with some unusual items - Edit

Extensive menu features some unusual items, such as a fennel salad with orange and a number of Asian-inspired dishes (which we didn't try). Plenty for vegans. Relaxed, grown-up hippy vibes. Best place for herbivores to eat when in the area.

Pros: Diverse menu

Excellent vegetarian restaurant in beach village - Edit

We can't say enough about the Third Eye and Paleochora. You come to a beautiful village, full of mainly Greek tourists, and right off the beach is a beautiful gem of a restaurant, which is mainly vegan.

We had dinner here twice. The menu changes daily, all the dishes were about 7 Euro. The first day we got a curry and an Indonesian dish with peanut sauce. The second day we order Somasos with chutney and salad, and another curry.
They also served us great bread and garlic bread, and at the end of the meal, when we couldn't eat any more, a plate of watermelon.
The workers are all from one big family. All the vegan dishes were clearly marked.

My wife also went for breakfast (while I was hiking the Samara Gorge nearby). She particularly like the nice atmosphere.

My only suggestion (enhancement) is that they try to provide vegetarian cheese. The owner told us that this father makes the feta himself, but he wasn't sure about the enzymes. If they could have assured us the enzymes were not animal-based we would have eaten the feta as well (after a week in Crete, we really wanted to try the feta).

We recommend both the restuarant and the town, I would plan my trip around going to the Third Eye!

Pros: excellent food, great value, large portions

hidden gem! - Edit

the 3rd eye restaurant in paleorchora is by far the best place to eat! i'm not vegetarian and found the menu absolutely delicious! sooo many choices it would take me a few weeks to get thru it all. the location is great, the locals are great (enzo) & carline/eftiki are so friendly they make life long friends from seasonal customers. one complaint i have is that they don't charge enough for the huge portions they serve and in this day & age (c/c) it would be a shame to see the 3rd eye wink out of existance! so tip large people and enjoy the show!

Pros: friendly, excellent food, wide selection of food

Not really sure it was worth the drive. - Edit

I'm not really sure this was worth the drive from Chania, but the drive was fun! The food was great, but not as vegan-friendly as it could have easily been. The location is nice - only a short walk from the beach. The atmosphere is good, the staff were decent for being in Greece.

Pros: good food

Cons: not very vegan friendly

Third Eye - Edit

If your going to Paleochora and like vegetarian food then you must try the Third Eye. Over 10 yeras ago we did the same and started off as customers and now have become good friends with Carline and Eftiki owners of the Third Eye. A great selection of food and the menu changes every day, give it a try you will not be disappointed.

Pros: Great Food, Great Staff, Great value

Cons: none

great place, but shut in the winter. - Edit

it's run by an ex-army tank driver turned buddhist(ish), a lovely geezer called eftiki. all vege, lots of vegan, local wine served and always busy during the summer season. it's shut most of the winter, mind, so sunny eats only. great range of food and lovely atmosphere.

Pros: cheap, good vegan range, great local wine

Cons: often very busy!

Return to Crete Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Third Eye closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3764 times since Aug 2007.