The Tea Room at The Midland Hotel

+44-1612354782

Peter St, Manchester, England, M60 2DS

Serves meat, vegan options available. A full vegan afternoon tea menu is available, which includes savory bites as well vegan scones and other sweets. Open Mon-Sun 1:00pm-4:30pm.

Categories: British, Non-veg

First Review by Veganolive1

Brilliant afternoon tea! - Edit

The vegan menu is amazing, the staff were so thorough in making sure i knew which plates were my vegan plates, and all my omni family said my food looked even better than the non-vegan menu! delicious food, and the scones come with soy cream too! cannot recommend highly enough!

fancy! - Edit

we were hoping to get the chance to have afternoon tea during our vacation in the uk and were pretty excited to find the tea room on happy cow.
we went by, got a table almost right away and they wer SUPER considerate and informed about veganism:
they asked us if we'd like our tea served on vegan cutlery (since it's usually served on bone china), told us that they had vegan champagne if we'd like some and that the only tea that isn't vegan on the menu is the peppermint and caramel, since it contains actual caramel bits. all without us having to ask them. this is a rare thing!
the tea itself was tasty, even though some sandwich fillings were a bit on the bland side and the cakes weren't exactly mindblowing. the scones though were lovely!
all in all a lovely, pampering experience, well worth the money and just so relaxing to not have to ask about every single thing.

Pros: super friendly, well informed & considerate staff, cosy atmosphere, scrumptious scones

Cons: pricey, even if worth the experience imo

Vegan Afternoon Tea - Awesome - Edit

The Midland is an iconic hotel with a newly created Tearoom offering a vegan afternoon tea menu and even my allergies were accommodated. I heard they served vegan afternoon tea on bone china, rather bizarre, from a vegan point of view.   So I enquired if they could offer alternative crockery and received this response.

'Apologies, I'm waiting on confirmation from our crockery manufacturers that the other items we have elsewhere in the hotel are definitely vegan friendly (from a fairly in depth Google search I'm pretty confident that they are)
I must admit it's something we hadn't considered, but we'll definitely have a solution for you and for our entire vegan afternoon tea service moving forward.   Its really no trouble, all confirmed, our usual hotel crockery (for banqueting, breakfast etc) is vegan friendly, so we will make use of that for your visit.   Once again, thanks for bringing this to my attention, we will now make it standard practice for all vegan afternoon tea'

I was so excited on the day and drank a very nice glass of vegan Montaudon champagne, whilst deciding on my tea choice, opting for peppermint and caramel. There was a bit of a wait for the food to appear, but I imagine this is due to it being freshly made to order, so no chance of dry curled up sandwiches or stale cakes, but it was worth waiting for.

The sandwiches were packed with filling, moist, totally delicious, satisfying but light.   I had reservations they would be too filling and I would be unable to do justice to the cakes, but the portions were well thought out.
I ate my mini red berry pavlova, without taking a photo, as it stuck to the serving plate, but it was warm and meringues are delicate things, it was like soft Italian meringue.

The cakes were scrumptious, especially the chocolate cake and the chefs made a special almond cream with almond milk for me instead of soya, which made a perfect partner for my scones and plum jam.   The scones were as light as a feather, with a lovely open texture.

Great thought and consideration has been given to the vegan afternoon tea and it cannot be easy for the kitchen, having to deal with a vegan like me, with allergies, but they came up trumps.   If you are unable to finish the tea, they provide you with a beautiful box to carry any leftovers home with you.   I have to hold my hand up, I did not need a box.

Pros: Vegan menu , Vegan champagne, Accommodates allergies

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Tea Room at The Midland Hotel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.